Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Experience with transplanting Frog Grass as a ground cover ...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Experience with transplanting Frog Grass as a ground cover ...

our (me and my wife) plan before was to use peanut plant as the main cover for the ground/lawn (20m x 15m) in front of our house. but after reading some post here in PHM about frog grass and doing some research in the internet, we learned that it's a better choice - low maintenance and very adaptable to PH tropical environment.

i found a direct source (big nursery) of frog grass here in tampakan (brgy kipalbig) near our area. the price is P200 per sqm for fully matured frog grass. it's more expensive than the price in metro manila, from what i have seen in the internet but the good thing was, the owner was more than willing to teach me how to propagate the frog grass based on his experience.

Some info i learned with my discussion with the owner ...
    - 1 sqm of mature frog grass can be divided and transplanted into a 10 sqm area ...
    - it takes about 10 weeks for the transplanted frog grass to mature and ready for resale again ...

below is the process i followed based on my discussion with the owner, assuming that the ground is already flat ...

1. loosen the soil that you will be working on. i just use a flat spade to loosen about 1/2" of the top soil - just drop the spade vertically on the soil while moving it across the soil.
    2. separate the mature frog grass into smaller pieces. looking at how the workers in the nursery was doing it, they simply separate each mature plant (dry) into smaller pieces making sure that each piece has some roots or bulb on it, for it to re-grow on its own. i tried it on my own at home and i find it quite hard to separate each piece and most of the time, the pieces are quite big.
    if you examine closely a mature frog grass plant, you'll notice that a single plant is round (about 2" diameter ) and new growth appears on top of it, sort of a layered cake. once a few layers of growth has been achieve, then it starts to spread horizontally. to improve on the process for a newbie like me :-), what i did was to soak the plant in water for a few seconds to remove as much soil as possible. once done, you can easily peel each growth from the side - just make sure that each piece has some roots or bulb in it.
    3. plant each piece with a distance of about 3/4"-1" from each other. for my case, i find it manageable to work an area of about 2 feet at a time. just slight bury the roots into the soil
    4. flatten the transplanted frog grass with a plywood. this is very important in order to ensure that the transplanted plant is press into the ground and to also ensure that your lawn will be flat without any uneven surface. for my case, i use a 2' x 2' piece of 1/2" plywood (and a small plastic stool for sitting). i just move the plywood forward 1 foot at a time as i transplant the frog grass.
    5. once you have completed an area of about 3-4 rows (2' width), sprinkle water to the newly planted frog grass. make sure that you soak the area with water to ensure that the soil is compacted. it will take about 10 weeks for the frog grass to mature and completely cover the ground area.
    6. in case you need to clear the ground area of weeds before transplanting the frog grass, you can use 2,4-D herbicide. here in tampakan, it cost P130 per 250ml bottle. the mixture is 5-6 tbsp per 16L of water.
    7. to hasten the growth of the transplanted frog grass, you can use urea fertilizer. here in tampakan, they cost about P27 per kilo. the mixture is 1kg per 16L of water. another way is to just sprinkle the urea on the grass and just let it dissolve when you water the plants.

i bought 1 sqm of mature frog grass last week and on my initial planting i was able to transplant it into a 7.5 sqm (3m x 2.5m) area - it took me less than a day to complete it. it would have been larger if i did not plant the grass too close to each other during the early stages of my learning experience :-) he he he ... cheers

Boo!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Week-0 01 - D20150626.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	83156

day 01 photo of the 1 sqm mature frog grass i transplanted last week into an area of around 7.5 sqm ... it was really a learning experience for me, during the early stages, i planted the grass too close to each other and the pieces was bigger but after i soak the grass in water for a few seconds to remove the soil before peeling it, i was able to get the right size :-) ... cheers

Boo!
    Last edited by Boo-Semi-Retired; 07-01-2015, 06:34 AM.

Comment

Our frog grass is very slow growing and very frustrating after 7 months manipis pa rin.......what specific fertilizer should I apply? How many times a month? Ratio to water mix? Weeds are also a big problem....will 2,4-D herbicide. @ cost P130 per 250ml bottle. the mixture is 5-6 tbsp per 16L of water., not kill the frog grass?
      Salamat po.

Comment

• Boo-Semi-Retired
        Boo-Semi-Retired commented
        Editing a comment
        the 2,4-D herbicide will kill any plant. i even use it to kill the roots of the banana plants in our backyard - after cutting the banana plant, i just make a small hole in the middle of the stack and put 2ml of the herbicide and in a weeks time you'll see that the plant is dying.

once the frog grass has been planted, your only option is to manually pull each of the weeds that are growing in your lawn. in time, the weeds will have a hard time growing in your lawn once the frog grass has completely covered the ground ... cheers

Boo!

• Boo-Semi-Retired
        Editing a comment
        the urea (NPK=14-0-0) that was mentioned to me by the grower was to initially help the grass grow after it has been transplanted. for the past weeks, i initially use 1/3 kg of urea mix in 16L of water and water the grass once a week.

in my readings thru the internet before, a general fertilizer for any grass should have an NPK (Nitrogen-Phosphorus-Potassium) ratio of 3:1:2 ... if P=4, then N=12 and K=8 for an NPK of 12-4-8 ; other common ratio is 24-8-16 (stronger) and 9-3-6 (lighter) ... i recommend testing the fertilizer in a small area of your lawn using a small dosage (1/3 kg per 16L of water) once a week to avoid killing the grass from too much fertilizer. you can then increase the dosage depending on how your grass is responding to the fertilizer. in about 3-6 weeks, you should be able to determine the right dosage ideal for your soil and grass ... cheers

Boo!

How often should we water the frog grass? 2x a day? 3x a day? How much water per square meter?
      Thanks again.

Comment

• Boo-Semi-Retired
        Editing a comment
        2-3 days after transplanting, i water it 3x a day just enough to make the grounds wet for a few seconds. after that, i just water it once a day in the afternoon ... cheers

Boo!

Thank you very much, the weeds are very frustrating, we'll just hire a person to uproot them and apply fertilizer on the frog grass as you advised.
      Frog grass is not easy to propagate. Very frustrating and expensive for us to maintain. I will write again after things get better.
      Salamat sir.

Comment

• Boo-Semi-Retired
        Editing a comment
        always mix the fertilizer with water and never spread the fertilizer directly into the grass as it's too strong and could kill some of your grass ... after a few more weeks, i'll share my other experiences with frog grass. i just completed preparing another area of our front lawn and will again start transplanting another batch of frog grass this week ... cheers

Boo!

some updates on my frog grass project ... after 4 weeks, the initial grass i transplanted (1 sqm grass into 7.5 sqm) are growing but the 'carpet like growth' i was targetting did not materialize. from my analysis, this might be due to the big distance (3/4" to 1") between the transplanted grass which was further aggravated when some of the grass died and some with stunned growth (e.g. 'bansot') due to poor soil condition in some area. end result, i was not really happy with the outcome - the lawn is patchy and looks thin.

this week, i worked on a new area of the lot and completed it (12+ sqm). this time, i reduce the distance between the transplanted grass to 1/2" (max). i also increase the size of the pieces when i separated the mature frog grass. as a result, i used 3 sqm of mature grass to cover an area of 12 sqm giving a spread ratio of 1:4. hopefully, this will result in the 'carpet like growth' that i'm looking for :-) ... cheers

Boo!

Comment

Buhay na ang aming frog grass after 1 week, 100 pesos/ sq m ang bili ko. Malaking tulong ang current weather condition.

Comment

• Boo-Semi-Retired
          Editing a comment
          that's great :-), from my experience, it's really not that hard to propagate and grow frog grass. bukas i'll take another photo of my lawn project and upload it here ... 2-weeks na yun 2nd batch of grass ko :-) ... grabe ang price difference compared to here :-( ... i have been trying to find another source here in south cotobato but up to now, i still could not find one ... cheers

Boo!

Name:	End of Week-1 - D20150809.jpg
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	83459

the photo is end of week 01 (Aug 09) wherein i merge (re-transplanted) my 1st batch of frog grass to my 2nd batch of frog grass to come up with my current work area of about 5m x 5m (25 sqm) of the front lawn area. also, part of the 1st batch, i use it to plant my 'binhi' in another area. in about 3-4 weeks time, my frog grass 'binhi' should be large enough so that i continue with my lawn project :-) ... cheers

Boo!

Comment

Name:	End of Week-2 - D20150816.jpg
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	83461

this photo is end of week 02 (Aug 16 ; this morning). i'm quite happy with the result so far as i was able to achieve the 'carpet like' growth that i was aiming for ... cheers

Boo!

Comment

Name:	Frog Grass Week-4 - D20150830.jpg
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	83600

Name:	Grow More 30-10-10 Fertilizer for Lawn.jpg
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	83601

after 4 weeks (Aug 30), the frog grass is thick and quite mature already - most of the grass started to bear seeds which is a sign of maturity (see 1st photo). i can now start to use these mature grass (approx 20 sqm from the photo) to further expand the coverage area of the grass (front and back of the house) :-) he he he ... i'll post some updated photos after i finish some of the transplanting :-) ...

i was able to accelerate the growth of the grass with the use of some fertilizers. the closes thing (fertilizer) sold here in south cotobato with an NPK ratio of 3-1-2 (ideal for lawn) is Grow More. it has an NPK ratio of 30-10-10 (see 2nd photo). the price is P190/kg. it's a US product which is repack/distributed locally by Sagrex Corp (check their website for other products). the US website of Grow More recommends to use it every 2 weeks with a strong mixture, i think it's 4 TBSP to 16L of water. for me, i prefer to use a weak mixture (1 TBSP to 16L of water) just to be on the safe side and just monitor the results ... every sunday, i just water the grass with a mixture of 1 TBSP of Grow More to 16L of water. then every wednesday and friday i just water the grass with a mixture of 1 TBSP of Urea (NPK of 14-0-0 @ P27/kg) to 16L of water to further accelerate the growth of the grass leaves ... cheers

Boo!

Comment

this is bookmarked!
              thanks for sharing!
              The devil will find work for idle hands to do.-Morrissey

Comment

• Boo-Semi-Retired
                Editing a comment
                i'll try to update this thread this week based on my additional experience with trying to grow this grass all throughout my lot :-) ... cheers

Boo!

Hi, any photo updates of your lawn project? Been searching for article regarding this type of grass. Thanks.

Comment

• Boo-Semi-Retired
                Editing a comment
                samtudie, for some reason, the photos i uploaded before are no longer available. i'll try and upload some photos later this week ... just post any of your question here and i'll try to answer if i know about it ... cheers

Boo!

Speaking of grass, may alam ba kayong source ng Manila grass na ginagamit sa mga golf course? Thanks!

Comment

• Boo-Semi-Retired
                Editing a comment
                Sorry, this is the first time i heard of Manila grass ... cheers

Boo!

Boo-Semi-Retired some of the photos are still available and im able to see it naman. i have a photo of my frog grass approximately one month after i planted them. maybe theyre too far from each other? should i plant more grass in between? does the type of soil affects its growth? what kind of fertilizer should i put to hasten its growth? thanks. sorry dami tanong

Comment

samtudie, sorry for the late reply, just a bit busy with some IT stuff. parang experience ko rin when i was starting to learn how to propagate frog grass :-) he he he.

'maybe theyre too far from each other?' ... yes, they are to far apart from each other from what i can see from your photo. the max distance between small nodes should be 1" apart from each other. for bigger chunks of nodes, it can be 1-2" apart from each other

'should i plant more grass in between?' ... yes, here's what you can do to retouch the area ...
                1. i notice that the soil in between the grass is already lower, due to water run-off and errosion. you need to fill the area in between the grass with soil about 1cm higher than the existing grass. press it down with your hand to compact the soil a little bit.
                2. get a few mature frog grass in one area - normally round in shape with lots of nodes. place it in a bucket of water and stir for a few minutes to remove the soil from the roots. using a scissor, cut the excess roots, making sure to leave about 1-2mm lenght of roots to the grass. for each of the frog grass, separate it into little nodes and place into a new bucket with water to keep it always wet before it is transplanted.
                3. now, working on a small area (e.g. a square na isang dangkal of your hand) of soil where you want to transplant the frog grass nodes, water the area with your hand and make sure that the area is soaking wet with water to make it almost like mud. using your hand, lightly tap the soil until its flat and a bit sticky. then, one at a time, lay each frog grass (right side up) node on the soil and press slightly with your finger - 1/2" to 3/4" apart (the closer the distance, the more carpet like it will grow). once the small area is covered with grass, use your hand again to sligthly press the grass into the soil (add water if needed to make it muddy), and also flatten the surface again. this whole step is basically like playing with mud :-).
                once an area is done, start with another area beside the area you just completed.
                4. the newly transplanted frog grass must be watered 3x a day for the next 2 days for the new roots to develope. after that, you can just water it once a day or every other day.

'does the type of soil affects its growth?' ... yes, frog grass grows well in loose loom soil, that has good water retention. it's not a good idea to plant then in sandy soil. if the existing soil is not quite good, then you can add a 1-2" good quality top soil for the grass - their roots do not really go that deep into the soil.

'what kind of fertilizer should i put to hasten its growth? thanks.' ... before, i use Grow More (NPK 30-10-10) but now it's quite hard to find it here in south cotobato. so i just use ordinary urea fertilizer (1/2kg @ P27). just buy 1kg as you really don't need that much. for my case, i just mix 2-3 tbsp of urea to a pail of water (20L) and then water the grass with it once a week.

my old posting before ... "i was able to accelerate the growth of the grass with the use of some fertilizers. the closes thing (fertilizer) sold here in south cotobato with an NPK ratio of 3-1-2 (ideal for lawn) is Grow More. it has an NPK ratio of 30-10-10. the price is P190/kg. it's a US product which is repack/distributed locally by Sagrex Corp (check their website for other products) ...

from my experience, the best approach in transplanting frog grass is to have a 'binhi' area where you can grow the new grass nodes in a rich soil environment for 4 weeks and then transfer them to the final area just like a square bermuda grass or separate it into large nodes to cover a bigger area ... a better approach, especially if your free time to do gardening is only during weekends :-) he he he.

a temporary binhi area can be constructed using 2"x2" coco lumber on a flat ground. cut 4 pcs of 1m lenght and lay on the ground to make a binhi area of 1 sqm. secure the wood with some pegs so that it does not move. you can also cut 2 pcs of 1m and 2 pcs of 2m to make a 2 sqm area. i use a 2 sqm binhi area for my case.

for the binhi area soil, use organic compost (here in south cotobato, it's around P100-150 per sack) and saw dust (e.g. free from a 'tistisan' shop) mix in 1:1 ratio (you can also increase the ratio of the saw dust to make more material, like 1/3 compost and 2/3 saw dust). the saw dust makes it easier to harvest the grass and will also turn into compost after a few months :-).

as to the initial planting in the binhi area, you can plant just 1/2 of the area with frog grass. after 2 weeks, plant the other half. this way, you can transplant some grass every 2 weeks to the final area. the method of planting in the binhi area must always be the same as item #3 above so that the grass will grow close to each other like a carpet.

as to the transplanting of the harvested frog grass to it's final area, you can either transplant it as is or you can separate it into large chunks 1-2" apart from each other to cover a bigger area - no need to do like #3 above. you need to water the grass 3x a day for 2 days after transplanting it.

take note, when you harvest your grass, remember to keep a few grass for replanting the binhi area that you just harvested. also, you may have to put some additional soil material in the binhi area as some of the soil would have been taken out together with the harvested grass ... cheers

Boo!

Comment

• samtudie
                  samtudie commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for the detailed response! It was worth the wait. Hehe. Right now im gonna need to plant more in between and try to put more soil. Thanks again!

• Boo-Semi-Retired
                  Editing a comment
                  your welcome ... i was ordered by my commander to continue with this lawn project at the back of the house :-) he he he ... actually, i have already started with it but i stopped for a few weeks (almost 2 months) due to my home automation project ... i'll try to document the activities with some photos and share it here for others to get some idea of how you can create a lawn just by working on it every weekend ... cheers

Boo!

Related Articles

Collapse

Collapse
              • Filter
              • Time
              • Show
              • New Topics
              Clear All
              No content found
              Show More
              • Filter
              • Time
              • Show
              • New Topics
              Clear All
              Please log in to your account to view your subscribed posts.

Related Articles

Collapse

Working...
              X