Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Experience with transplanting Frog Grass as a ground cover ...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

samtudie, a new photo of the frog grass in front of our house. the el nino which lasted up to summer this year greatly affected the grass - a lot of dry patches. i started patching (retouching) it whenever i have the time, and now, it's coming back slowly during this rainy season ... cheers

Boo!
    Attached Files

Comment

• Boo-Semi-Retired
      Boo-Semi-Retired commented
      Editing a comment
      kumakalat yun frog grass but from my observation, this only happens for the grass that are at the sides of the lawn. this also happens when the grass has fully matured about 3-6 months. it's better to plant them close to each other, about 1" max apart.

for those inside the lawn area, most of them mature in a round shape about 2" in diameter. after a few months, you'll notice that the lawn will not be that flat anymore. the reason for this is that some grass will grow faster and thicker than others depending on a lot of factors ... kaya you will notice na parang bukol bukol na yun lawn ... to avoid this, either you remove the big ones and replant a little of it to cover the area again with new nodes ... or you can raise some natural grass cutters (e.g. ganza). we have 3 ganza right now in our backyard that eats the frog grass (they love it) to keep them in check and for the grass not to grow too much ... cheers

Boo!

• samtudie
      samtudie commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi! Its me again! currently my frog grass project seems to grow. Kumapal na sila and naachieve naman yun "carpet" like growth. Ang problem, since na nabuo and kumapal sila. Nalipat dun ang area ng poop and pee ng dog. And i think, dogs urine burned the grass. Thats why theres some spots with burnt grass. Actually. The dog is potty trained. Pero mas gusto ata talaga sa grass mag poo. Is there any solution to that problem, aside from training him again to poop on his crate? Nakakafrustrate e. Haha

• Boo-Semi-Retired
      Editing a comment
      samtudie, that's great news on your frog grass project, congratulations! your right, dog urine, can burn (even rain pouring from a GI roof) the grass and turn their leaves to yellowish in color which is a sign of burning.

as for your dog's new habit, don't worry too much, as it will pass. same thing happened to me with our black labrador (Angel) during the time when the grass was just growing and has not really fully matured - i think it has something to do with the smell of new grass leaves. once the grass has fully matured, Angel no longer wanted to poop or pee on the grass. now all she wants to do is play and keep rolling on the grass :-) he he he ... cheers

Boo!
      DIYers Innovate ...

Yun lang ang napansin ko sa frog grass kapag kulang sa maintenance nagbubukol bukol. Maganda pa din po ba tingnan kapag na triman ng cutter? Ang dami dito sa Bay kaso naisip ko parang may certain period lang na maappreciate ito ng husto.

Yun namang carabao grass kapag napabayaan tumataas ang bulaklak at kumakapit sa cotton pants. Manok naman ang magaling mag trim. Ok din ang rabbit kaso lang dinadale nila pati ornaments. Yes, maintenance lang talaga ang solution.

Comment

• Boo-Semi-Retired
      Editing a comment
      from my experience, its very hard to trim frog grass with a cutter because most of the time the leave are really flat. i find having a ganza in a backyard really more practical if your staying in the province and the lawn area is wide.

there are really quite a lot of species of carabao grass, the true carabao grass i saw in a friends house before are quite hard to find. they are almost like frog grass. they grow in a circular pattern, a little bigger than frog grass, about 3" in diameter. the leaves also spread out flat on the ground. the only way to distinguish them from frog grass is the shape of the tip of the leaves ... sa frog grass, the tip are rounded, sa carabao grass, the tips are pointed. it's really hard to find in the wild, you really need to buy it from a nursery also, same as the frog grass ... cheers

Boo!

Hello Mr, Boo, thanks for the great advice regarding FROG GRASS; unfortunately no matter how hard we tried the weeds eventually subdued our garden. What a waste of time because we couldn't devote time for it everyday nor afford a full time gardener. Weeds are very very hard to control. Gardening using a huge lawn is not as simple as we thought. So we opted to raise our plants in pots and created a pocket garden which is easier to manage.
    I congratulate everyone who succeeded in raising a frog grass garden. Thank you very much.

Comment

bonruiz, your not alone on the problem with weeds, it's really a never ending job, even for my case, i have to deal with the same problem every few weeks.

the thing to remember is that you won't be able to totally eliminate the weeds. the only thing you can do is control their spread. you need to approach the weed problem from that point of view with the emphasis of minimizing your involvement in the manual process :-).

for my case, this is what i am actually doing:

1. whenever i have some free time or when i'm thinking about a solution to an issue or problem related to my home automation project (clears my mind and helps me to think when i'm doing simple manual labor :-)), i try to work (1-2 hours each time) on a small area at a time where there are a lot of mature weeds.
      a. use a 'dulos' when you pull the weeds out and make sure you also take some of the nodes that are link to the roots. i think the nodes underground are actually the seeds of the weeds. doing it this way will delay the re-growth of the weeds.

2. hiring someone to do the job of maintaining the lawn or garden is costly as you said.

if it's not an issue in your place, having a ganza in your backyard is like having a living grass cutter :-).

i have 3 (1 male and 2 female) in my backyard and they can really help in keeping the weeds in control. they are also good watch dogs as they make a lot of noise when strangers are near the area.

the trick is not to feed them too much so that they will forage on the grass. what they like to eat are the new shoots (young) of weeds. they will also eat the new leaves of the frog grass and will keep them in check so that they don't grow unevenly (bukol-bukol yun frog grass lawn).

so once you start removing the mature weeds, in your own free time, the new weeds that will grow will be eaten by the ganza. if the ganza keeps on eating the new shoots of the weed, in no time, it will die, as it can't do photosynthesis without leaves. the whole process will control the spread of the weeds :-).

our ganza started to breed again last late sept. the 2 females laid 14 eggs in total. sayang nga because our askal pet dogs ate them all up :-(. this time i made a coop for the ganza and, hopefully the next time they breed, the dogs will have no access to their nest ... cheers

Boo!
      DIYers Innovate ...

Comment

Related Articles

Collapse

Collapse
      • Filter
      • Time
      • Show
      • New Topics
      Clear All
      No content found
      Show More
      • Filter
      • Time
      • Show
      • New Topics
      Clear All
      Please log in to your account to view your subscribed posts.

Related Articles

Collapse

Working...
      X