Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing Split Type Aircon

Collapse
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
  • New Topics
Clear All
new posts
No content found
Show More
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
  • New Topics
Clear All
new posts
Please log in to your account to view your subscribed posts.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Installing Split Type Aircon

    Hi All,

    My sister will be having a split type AC installed. The surveyor said that she needs a 1.5 HP unit. How can I tell if this is the correct rating for the size of the room? I think her room is around 20 sqm.

    Also, they said that a separate circuit breaker is required. How do I do this? Whats the correct rating assuming that shes installing a 1.5 HP? Do I need to create a separate circuit from the main CB panel, or can I just plug in to one of the convenience outlets downstairs (less loaded since we dont have any AC units there) and connect a circuit breaker before connecting to the condenser and motor?

    Id like to DIY this if this is not too hard.

    TIA

  • #2
    Re: Installing Split Type Aircon

    Hey freeman, bro your surveyor is right, with the 1.5 hp split type aircon its just perfect for that size of room, by the way what's the height of the room's ceiling, is 8FT, 10FT 12 FT or higher. Now if you install a 3/4 HP or 1.0 HP baka hindi kayanin ng aircon, it has to over work to reach the right temp coolness inside.

    IMHO I prefer to install a higher HP aircon than a small one so not to make the aircon work double time just to maintain the preferred coolness inside the room.

    Yes you will need to install a new circuit breaker just for that aircon for safety reasons and please get a liscenced electrician to do the installations and connections of wires and breakers. Again for safety reasons, baka maging cause pa ng sunog sa bahay ninyo, better safe than being sorry. The circuit breaker can be purchased at mall hardwares or at home depot, they have Akari or Omni with the proper amperage for aircons.
    HITRONIC 300 Amp DC Inverter IGBT Welder
    YAMATO 300 Amp AC Stick Welder
    YAMATO 200Amp DC Inverter IGBT Welder
    DeWALT Chopsaw
    HOBART and ESAB Welding Helmets
    Assorted Angle Grinders, Clamps and Vises


    -----------------------------------------------
    Dreaming and wanting is good and healthy but working hard for it is better !

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Installing Split Type Aircon

      May I suggest you get a split type aircon with inverter, 'coz it really does saves a lot in electric bills.
      My in-laws replaced their koppel split type 1hp aircon with a panasonic 1.5hp aircon w/ inverter last year. And they really loved the way it saved them money on bills. their ordinary 1hp consumed more power than the 1.5hp w/ inverter with the same number of hours of operation of 6-8hrs/day.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Installing Split Type Aircon

        +1 on inverter technology

        Our 18/20 cu-ft Panasonic ref with inverter consumes the same electricity as the 7 cu-ft non-inverter Condura.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Installing Split Type Aircon

          Originally posted by beedigo View Post
          May I suggest you get a split type aircon with inverter, 'coz it really does saves a lot in electric bills.
          My in-laws replaced their koppel split type 1hp aircon with a panasonic 1.5hp aircon w/ inverter last year. And they really loved the way it saved them money on bills. their ordinary 1hp consumed more power than the 1.5hp w/ inverter with the same number of hours of operation of 6-8hrs/day.
          Hi,

          Is the 1hp you were referring to also a split type?
          Last edited by bigfoot2; 04-29-2011, 11:59 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Installing Split Type Aircon

            Originally posted by freeman View Post
            Hi All,

            My sister will be having a split type AC installed. The surveyor said that she needs a 1.5 HP unit. How can I tell if this is the correct rating for the size of the room? I think her room is around 20 sqm.

            Also, they said that a separate circuit breaker is required. How do I do this? Whats the correct rating assuming that shes installing a 1.5 HP? Do I need to create a separate circuit from the main CB panel, or can I just plug in to one of the convenience outlets downstairs (less loaded since we dont have any AC units there) and connect a circuit breaker before connecting to the condenser and motor?

            Id like to DIY this if this is not too hard.

            TIA
            Room coverage used to be computed at 15-18 square meters per horsepower. Nowadays we use 12 square meters per horsepower due to the unusual rise in temperature or climate change. It would be risky to do the electrical wiring if you have no experience or professional expertise. Inverters are proven to be effective. Recently, LG AirCon was verified by DOST-ETV as one of the most efficient brands in the market. Their 1HP split type Model HS-091V operated w/ 9654 kJ/h cooling capacity and 664 Watts of electric consumption. That's fast cooling w/ optimal savings compared to it's contemporaries. OH, btw, I don't work for LG. I only mentioned their test results to guide you on the benefits of inverters.
            Last edited by willyfernando; 04-30-2011, 02:52 AM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Installing Split Type Aircon

              Wow, that's very efficient, almost EEI of 14.5.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Installing Split Type Aircon

                correct me if i am wrong but the first company to introduce this inverter tech in the phils is panasonic..remembering who first posted a big tarpaulin ad near the exit toll gate of nlex maybe 3-4 years ago...then others followed..like toshiba etc and very lately carrier/condura.

                if am going to purchase a split type inverter ac, id be choosing bet panasonic or toshiba.

                i wonder why the condura/carrier are costlier than their counterparts when they have a plant in sucat paranaque?

                anyone knows?

                btw..idec has now their inverter type. i wonder who makes their ac's..hehe

                its just like drugs, if i am a businessman and wanted to sell drugs apart from selling other stuff, i could buy in bulk from drug companies and have my chosen trade name printed on the drug labels.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Installing Split Type Aircon

                  Originally posted by bigfoot2 View Post
                  Hi,

                  Is the 1hp you were referring to also a split type?
                  Yup, the 1hp is also split type.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Installing Split Type Aircon

                    Originally posted by violaine View Post
                    correct me if i am wrong but the first company to introduce this inverter tech in the phils is panasonic..remembering who first posted a big tarpaulin ad near the exit toll gate of nlex maybe 3-4 years ago...then others followed..like toshiba etc and very lately carrier/condura.

                    if am going to purchase a split type inverter ac, id be choosing bet panasonic or toshiba.

                    i wonder why the condura/carrier are costlier than their counterparts when they have a plant in sucat paranaque?

                    anyone knows?

                    btw..idec has now their inverter type. i wonder who makes their ac's..hehe

                    its just like drugs, if i am a businessman and wanted to sell drugs apart from selling other stuff, i could buy in bulk from drug companies and have my chosen trade name printed on the drug labels.
                    Stay away from Idec. They're undercapacity.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Installing Split Type Aircon

                      HTML Code:
                      Stay away from Idec. They're undercapacity.
                      from another thread, they are also cautioning would be buyers of Idec.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Installing Split Type Aircon

                        Hi All,

                        Thanks for all your responses. Mukhang di yata kakayanin ng powers ko na iDIY to. Matrabaho yung paglatag ng bagong cable from the main circuit breaker on the 1st floor going up to the second floor. I guess i will just get an electrician to do this.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Installing Split Type Aircon

                          bloody right brader..let me know how he does it and share! hehe

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Installing Split Type Aircon

                            Originally posted by freeman View Post
                            Hi All,

                            Thanks for all your responses. Mukhang di yata kakayanin ng powers ko na iDIY to. Matrabaho yung paglatag ng bagong cable from the main circuit breaker on the 1st floor going up to the second floor. I guess i will just get an electrician to do this.

                            Good for you bro, its ok to DIY it if you are knowledgeable in electrical installations but if not then get an electrician to do it, may peace of mind ka pa, what's a little fee for labor done compared to your house being on fire specially this hot summer months.
                            HITRONIC 300 Amp DC Inverter IGBT Welder
                            YAMATO 300 Amp AC Stick Welder
                            YAMATO 200Amp DC Inverter IGBT Welder
                            DeWALT Chopsaw
                            HOBART and ESAB Welding Helmets
                            Assorted Angle Grinders, Clamps and Vises


                            -----------------------------------------------
                            Dreaming and wanting is good and healthy but working hard for it is better !

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Installing Split Type Aircon

                              Location of your AC is also important. I have a regular AC which I plan to replace with a split type. I also have a flat-screen TV on the same wall where I plan to have the AC. Was told that's a no-no. I guess it makes sense but, sometimes, we don't think of these things.

                              You will also need to think of the connection between the external unit (condenser) and your in-room unit. There needs to be an electrical connection and thermally insulated ducting between them.

                              Sounds too complex for my skills. Fortunately, all the major-brand air cons I surveyed offer free installation. They even offer to visit your place first to survey before you even buy. Good luck!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X