How good is this weld?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How good is this weld?

I am thinking of making a tow hitch receiver instead of buying one. In the process, every time I see one online, I try to study the parts and structure to give me an idea of how to go about it. Then over the weekend, I saw this commercially available tow hitch receiver in a shop inside a mall. I decided to have a close look to see how it was constructed. Then I notice the weld. I know it is already covered by paint finish but nevertheless, it didn't stop from wondering if the weld is good enough. Parang clump of spot welding. Walang wala dun sa mga posts ni Bugel etc. What do you think?

Last edited by fourtheboys96; 04-17-2017, 09:46 AM.

Looks like its been stick welded but hard to tell if its a good weld or not since its all covered up already with paint.
    CIGWELD Weldskill 250 amp Mig Welder
    AHP Alpha-TIG 200X welder
    HITRONIC 300 Amp DC Inverter IGBT Welder
    YAMATO 300 amp AC Stick Welder
    YAMATO 200 amp DC Inverter IGBT Welder
    DeWALT Chopsaw
    HOBART and ESAB Welding Helmets

cloned STIHLs

MS 044 chainsaw
    MS 070 chainsaw

Comment

Mukhang kulang sa amps ang settings nang machine nung inihinang yan..nasa pic ang ebidensya dahil nakabukol ang hinang..cold settings means lack of fusion..

kung ang application nang tow hitch receiver ay para sa bike carrier lang pwede na yan..pero kung pang hatak ng trailer na may mabigat na load..para sa akin medyo alanganin ang ganyang hinang..

Comment

Sa Pinas yan so mostly for bike racks lang. Alam mo naman sa atin. Bibili ng malalaki at malalakas na sasakyan pero, ni hindi mapadapuan sa langaw hehehe.

Comment

yeah seems like insufficient penetration at least on the triangular plate. btw the plate seems to be a lot thicker than the square tubing so the problem w/ this joint is if you turn up the heat you tend to blow holes on the thinner square tubing. on top of that the square tubing is an edge so it builds up heat very fast

i think it should've been done w/ 2 passes, with the 1st one turned down just enough to not burn through the tubing. now on the 2nd pass since the tubing doesn't have a raw edge anymore i.e. heat can already sink to the plate, the heat can be turned up to allow good penetration on the plate

Comment

Related Articles

Collapse

Collapse
          • Filter
          • Time
          • Show
          • New Topics
          Clear All
          No content found
          Show More
          • Filter
          • Time
          • Show
          • New Topics
          Clear All
          Please log in to your account to view your subscribed posts.

Related Articles

Collapse

Working...
          X