Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Okay to use house/electrical wiring in car?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Okay to use house/electrical wiring in car?

    Hi gurus, I was wondering if its really okay to use the wires we often use at home (i.e. wires from extension cords, electric fans, lamps) in wiring basic car accessories like led lights, switches, etc? I've always had this practice of keeping the cords (and plugs) of broken electric fans and the like for future use (kuripot ko talaga no?)

    I've wired my scooter and car's horn using old electric fan wires (average thickness yung wire not sure kung anong gauge) and they've worked fine for years now - aside from making the already mind boggling wiring harness more confusing (ung mekaniko ko dati di niya alam kung para saan ung additional wires na paikot ikot dun sa M/C ko - hindi kasi color coded - usually black and white lng ) - may iba pa po bang negative effect yun like sa current, effectivity etc? Naisip ko kasi kung kaya nga nung wire na magdala ng 220v (and x amount of watts) eh chicken lang dun sa wire ung 12V na para sa ilaw or busina lang...

    Haba na nung tanong ko no? Would appreciate your thoughts on this

    Thanks!
    FOR DIY Projects, tips and tricks, please visit [COLOR="Red"][B]http://yesyoucanarchie.blogspot.com/
    [/B][/COLOR]

  • #2
    Re: Okay to use house/electrical wiring in car?

    tagal ko na ding iniisip kung pwede un
    safe nga ba mga sir?

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Okay to use house/electrical wiring in car?

      not safe at all

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Okay to use house/electrical wiring in car?

        Originally posted by bmac View Post
        not safe at all
        true that! Take note of the load application you intend to use the wire for. Even home wires have specific wire gauges that refer to their load capacity, ex. 18 awg or 14 awg. For cars, the wires are of much higher heat range or amperage on account of the load imposed on thier design, ex. Headlights, etc. If incorrect load happens then you run a risk of burning the wire due to overheating. A busted fuse or a loose fuse seat is indicative of this problem.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Okay to use house/electrical wiring in car?

          Originally posted by willyfernando View Post
          true that! Take note of the load application you intend to use the wire for. Even home wires have specific wire gauges that refer to their load capacity, ex. 18 awg or 14 awg. For cars, the wires are of much higher heat range or amperage on account of the load imposed on thier design, ex. Headlights, etc. If incorrect load happens then you run a risk of burning the wire due to overheating. A busted fuse or a loose fuse seat is indicative of this problem.
          kung sa switch lang ng relay gagamitin sir safe po ba?

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Okay to use house/electrical wiring in car?

            Originally posted by liteace View Post
            kung sa switch lang ng relay gagamitin sir safe po ba?
            Relays are designed to boost your load capacity but it must draw juice from a high power source. If you noticed the wires are at least 14-10AWG , ex. horn, headlight etc. electrical cords are usually light gauge wire from 18-22AWG so you run a risk of overheating the wire for relay use. Also get the highest ampere capacity for the switch you intend to use for your relay.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Okay to use house/electrical wiring in car?

              Originally posted by archie013 View Post
              Hi gurus, I was wondering if its really okay to use the wires we often use at home (i.e. wires from extension cords, electric fans, lamps) in wiring basic car accessories like led lights, switches, etc? I've always had this practice of keeping the cords (and plugs) of broken electric fans and the like for future use (kuripot ko talaga no?)

              I've wired my scooter and car's horn using old electric fan wires (average thickness yung wire not sure kung anong gauge) and they've worked fine for years now - aside from making the already mind boggling wiring harness more confusing (ung mekaniko ko dati di niya alam kung para saan ung additional wires na paikot ikot dun sa M/C ko - hindi kasi color coded - usually black and white lng ) - may iba pa po bang negative effect yun like sa current, effectivity etc? Naisip ko kasi kung kaya nga nung wire na magdala ng 220v (and x amount of watts) eh chicken lang dun sa wire ung 12V na para sa ilaw or busina lang...

              Haba na nung tanong ko no? Would appreciate your thoughts on this

              Thanks!
              Ang pagiging ligtas ng wiring ng sasakyan ay nkadepende sa pagkakagawa at klase ng materyales nito. Electric fans cord have 16-22 awg sizes you can use it to power a couple of ordinary 12-24v light bulb but not on higher current load i.e 12-24v halogen bulb. You can also use it in relays but only on the relay supply and switch terminal only not on the source and load terminal.Using home appliance cord to wire your car or m/c is messy and not a good idea. Automotive wires are used to wire your car not only for safety but also to ease future troubleshooting because you have a lot of colors to choose making your harness colorcoded.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Okay to use house/electrical wiring in car?

                @lawrielzee,

                Nice tip and reminder bro for our PHM car enthusiasts !! But hey .................................. how about some tip or information about you as a new member of PHM.

                ----------------------------------------------------------------------

                A little OT here friend :

                How about giving us some introduction friend, maybe some info on what you like or love doing, some hobbies perhaps and where are you located. We'd love to know you better here as a person and being a member of the PHM DIYing community. Nothing really that is too personal for you.

                If you will scroll down the index page you will see the GAZEBO Forum and under it is the MEMBERS INTRODUCTION, you can post your intro here.
                Thanks brad.
                CIGWELD Weldskill 250 amp Mig Welder
                AHP Alpha-TIG 200X welder
                HITRONIC 300 Amp DC Inverter IGBT Welder
                YAMATO 300 amp AC Stick Welder
                YAMATO 200 amp DC Inverter IGBT Welder
                DeWALT Chopsaw
                HOBART and ESAB Welding Helmets


                cloned STIHLs

                MS 044 chainsaw
                MS 070 chainsaw

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Okay to use house/electrical wiring in car?

                  There are a few things we should recognize in DIYing, Yung TAMA ay magkaiba sa pwede na. Yung TAMA ay ibang iba sa UUBRA na. As long as you have taken the initiative to learn anything take the responsibility of learning the right or best info before you risk your project or yourself. If you feel you can add an improvement in a particular technology then by all means do it as long as it follows the norms in tech development. I once had a friend who fried his ECU using poor wiring system (under rated). W/o guidance he thought he could simply change the wires w/ who knows what he used. Result, ECU= 45,000.00; wire cost is less than 200.00
                  Go figure!:

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Okay to use house/electrical wiring in car?

                    What our co members say is true. We need to level up and bring our work up to standards. At the very least at par with OEM specs.

                    Internet makes it conducive for us to do just this due to the availability of proper information.
                    Millermatic 180 Autoset Mig Welder
                    Miller Spoolmate 100 Spool Gun
                    Victor Firepower 350 Oxy Ace Outfit
                    3M Speedglas 9002X AD Helmet
                    Makita LC1230 Dry Cut Saw
                    Ingersoll Rand Air Tools
                    Snap On Tools
                    Metabo Power Tools
                    Norseman Drill Cutting Tools
                    Bosch Power Tools
                    3M PPS

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Okay to use house/electrical wiring in car?

                      "Okay to use house/electrical wiring in car?"

                      Okay lang kung alam mo na mababa ang current na paggagamitan mo...

                      "Higher Current (AMPS)= BIGGER wires"

                      Considering an appliance connected to 220Vac souce at sa 12Vdc souce with the same power let's say 40W

                      sa formula ng Power vs Current at Voltage P=IV

                      so kung compare mo ang current sa AC at sa DC with the same power....

                      sa AC 40W divided by 220V =0.182 amps (smaller wire)

                      sa DC 40w divided by 12V = 3.333 amps (needed larger wires)

                      (LAKI ng Difference with equal power)


                      Then may kinalaman pa sa flow ng electrons kung Alternating Current (AC) at kung Direct Current DC.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Okay to use house/electrical wiring in car?

                        @pandatech,

                        Please read the previous posts of JayL and willyfernando regarding safe and correct practices.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Okay to use house/electrical wiring in car?

                          HIndi po pwede kahit na magkapareho sila ng AWG. Iba po ang quality ng plastic insulation na ginamit sa wire na pang sasakyan at wire na pangbahay. Ang plastic insulation ng wire na ginagamit sa sasakyan kayang labanan ang matinding init na inilalabas ng makina ng sasakyan.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Okay to use house/electrical wiring in car?

                            afaik, automotive wires are rated up 105 deg celsius while regular household wires are up to 75 or 90 deg celsius....be aware!

                            di pa rin recommended kahit sa control/signal circuit ng relays......gagana sya syempre, pero delikado. tsaka isa pa higher current draw ang auto circuits unlike household items. starting, A/C, high powered lights, winch, etc.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Okay to use house/electrical wiring in car?

                              kaya pala yung speaker wire na gauge 22 na tinangal at pinalitan ko na pa ka tibay compared sa regular #22 wires na pang basic electronics. mas matibay pala ang pang auto...

                              Comment

                              Related Articles

                              Collapse

                              Collapse
                              • Filter
                              • Time
                              • Show
                              • New Topics
                              Clear All
                              new posts
                              No content found
                              Show More
                              • Filter
                              • Time
                              • Show
                              • New Topics
                              Clear All
                              new posts
                              Please log in to your account to view your subscribed posts.

                              Related Articles

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X