14 Users
0 Reactions
violaine
(@violaine)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Re: 2012 Room Facelift: 1. Ceiling

@timber,

the planks are light and the jack would be awkward to use..

inserting the new plank to the previous plank is relatively easy..but a 10' long plank is soo pliable that i have to screw it on one end then grab the quick clamp and clamp the plank about 2' from the screwed end..then go down the ladder and climb up again near the opposite end and yank the uninserted plank into place..then go down the ladder and climb up again where i began, release the clamp and fix the plank into place..and screw the rest of the plank to the battens.

The devil will find work for idle hands to do.-Morrissey

Posted : 27/03/2012 7:35 am
rosy
 rosy
(@rosy)

just to continue..

since i am working singly, i needed to hold and fix the 10 feet long planks by screwing it the to the battens at one end after clamping it in elsewhere within my reach..then go on the opposite end and screw the same..all in all i need to go up and down the ladder 5 times! times 44 panels...

of course i cant do it physically in one day...pretty tiring for me because this task is compressing my tummy (yes the liver agh!)

@ VIOLAINE,

I may not be posting replies but been following this thread very closely coz I'm very interested in the material you are using specially the PVC planks. You did not mention how much those PVC planks are, are they being sold by boxes and how many pieces per box and what is the maximum length of these PVC planks ? I would like to try these PVCs in my tool room sa garage, looks so easy to install and no more painting pa. LOL 😀

CIGWELD Weldskill 250 amp Mig Welder
AHP Alpha-TIG 200X welder
HITRONIC 300 Amp DC Inverter IGBT Welder
YAMATO 300 amp AC Stick Welder
YAMATO 200 amp DC Inverter IGBT Welder
DeWALT Chopsaw
HOBART and ESAB Welding Helmets
cloned STIHLs
MS 044 chainsaw
MS 070 chainsaw

Posted : 27/03/2012 10:16 am
violaine
(@violaine)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Posted via PHM Mobile

Posted : 27/03/2012 6:17 pm
violaine
(@violaine)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Bro rosy,
Each plank cost 244p. Expensive by conventional ceiling material standards but very easy to install singlehandedly and no painting anymore. Ceiling palang ito but i intend to use plywood na sa walls.btw 10' lng ung available eh. 20pcs per box.
Posted via PHM Mobile

Posted : 27/03/2012 6:21 pm
(@ricky)
Estimable Member

I think this is a bit late, but for convenience you could try and put rope hangers (sampayan) across the walls where you could just slide in the PVC materials for support . Once the the ceiling materials are suspended using the ropes then you can take sweet time of screwing it from one end to another. Also if you don't want to go up and down the ladder then it's probably good to assemble a bench with 2"x12" planks where you can use to walk-on to when fixing the screws. Another option is to use scaffold para Hindi nakakalula. Yan din problem ko when working on ceilings, ang sakit na sa leeg, makakapagod pa mag akyat baba sa hagdan kaya I usually set up a table underneath where I can walk and use 2" PVC pipes for supporting materials while fixing it up. Hope this helps.
Posted via PHM Mobile

Posted : 27/03/2012 8:04 pm
violaine
(@violaine)
Noble Member
Topic starter

I did not remove the movable storage cabinets etc inside the room so i just roll them from one place to another. I still use the room at night to sleep. Hehe. Thanks for the feedback though.
Posted via PHM Mobile

Posted : 27/03/2012 8:36 pm
(@zepol)
Reputable Member

@v
if the planks are light, would a nail gun help?
Posted via PHM Mobile

Posted : 27/03/2012 11:32 pm
violaine
(@violaine)
Noble Member
Topic starter

@zepol,

the pvc planks are corrugated type. the true thickness is about 1mm. the brad nail's head will just penetrate the thin plastic thru and thru.it need to be screwed.:)

Posted : 28/03/2012 3:51 am
violaine
(@violaine)
Noble Member
Topic starter

needed to install this cheap but very functional ceiling fan...versus the orbital fan.

ceiling is almost done..but i need to fix the electricals..fan switch, pin light switch...lcd monitor switch...etc..as you can see i also use pvc planks on this side of the room..the planks are much wider and has a darker shade of wood design (300p per plank).

Posted : 28/03/2012 3:57 am
violaine
(@violaine)
Noble Member
Topic starter

everything in place..my bed will be on this side...i added a circuit breaker..too little time planning..the breaker is sooooo unsightly on this side of the wall.

there's the fan control...two light switches and one switch for the lcd projector (to be mounted on the ceiling), two outlets..one for the wall lamp and the other perhaps for the cellphone charger.

to be continued...

V

Posted : 28/03/2012 4:02 am
(@ricky)
Estimable Member

Hi V, just paint over the switches or use stickers with wood design to make it blend withnthe wall
Posted via PHM Mobile

Posted : 28/03/2012 11:35 am
(@zepol)
Reputable Member

why the separate breaker box? is it tapping into the main line?

Posted : 28/03/2012 11:59 am
violaine
(@violaine)
Noble Member
Topic starter

The circuit breaker is just an added protection. Well its just me. Hehe. I tapped it from a 30amp line from the mainline. Its only 15A. Hehe.
Posted via PHM Mobile

Posted : 28/03/2012 9:06 pm
rosy
 rosy
(@rosy)

@ V,

Nothing wrong with that v, I think that is more safer, a room with its own breaker, you can shut it off if ever you are out of town and nobody is using the room, approve sakin yan !!!!

CIGWELD Weldskill 250 amp Mig Welder
AHP Alpha-TIG 200X welder
HITRONIC 300 Amp DC Inverter IGBT Welder
YAMATO 300 amp AC Stick Welder
YAMATO 200 amp DC Inverter IGBT Welder
DeWALT Chopsaw
HOBART and ESAB Welding Helmets
cloned STIHLs
MS 044 chainsaw
MS 070 chainsaw

Posted : 28/03/2012 9:27 pm
(@zepol)
Reputable Member

@v

was just thinking of how to hide that breaker box 🙂
perhaps in that situation i'd flush mount a covered utility box into the partition wall and paint the hinged cover (or even overlay it wi h the siding).
Posted via PHM Mobile

Posted : 28/03/2012 11:20 pm
Page 2 / 3
Share: