Clear all

2012 Room Facelift: 1. Ceiling

42 Posts
14 Users
0 Reactions
(@fortnapz)
Estimable Member

Re: 2012 Room Facelift: 1. Ceiling

sa tingin ko may certain appliances/equipment na ipa-plug si Doc v nyan kaya nandyan iyan. its a breaker with a universal outlet at the bottom kung hindi ako nagkamali.

Posted : 28/03/2012 11:34 pm
(@imcnovicio)
Trusted Member

Doc V, ang linis tignan ng pvc corrugated, install lang ng install no more paint application,nagkaidea tuloy ako sa haus namin pag nagpacontruction na ako hmmmmmmmm, thanks for the idea

Posted : 29/03/2012 9:07 am
 guad
(@guad)
Honorable Member

ang linis tignan ng pvc corrugated, install lang ng install no more paint application,nagkaidea tuloy ako sa haus namin pag nagpacontruction na ako hmmmmmmmm, thanks for the idea

Don't mean to put a damper on already committed projects, but for those planning future projects, I would urge awareness/reading up on the environmental issues of PVC so that informed choices can be made.

Lots of info available ... just web search 'pvc environmental' or 'pvc poison plastic' or 'pvc phase out' or 'pvc shower curtain', etc. Aside from issues throughout PVC lifecycle, one hazard not usually considered is what happens to the PVC during a (god forbid) fire.

With companies/consumers elsewhere in the world apparently shifting away from PVC, it is disturbing to see more and more PVC building materials being marketed locally ... doors, windows, paneling... Manufacturers banking on the less informed Filipino consumer?

Kind of like Canada dumping all its asbestos (chrysotile) fiber cement boards on Philippines?

On good side, I noticed {PVC/chlorine}-free (EVA I assume) shower curtains at Ace.

Posted : 29/03/2012 8:04 pm
violaine
(@violaine)
Noble Member
Topic starter

my concern about these PVC's when heated can emit probably (?) harmful chemicals (VOC's)..my roofing btw has a double sided 10mm aluminum foil..enough to prevent summer heat below the GI roof and so is the PVC planks.

thanks for the reminder guad!

with all the environmental pollutants around, id hate to succumb to cancer later on..

so let us inform everyone to go green in building.

and of course i cannot overemphasize precautions against fire.

V

FYI:
asbestos dusts when inhaled is deleterious to one's health..touching the asbestos laden products wont..
vinyl chloride is a known carcinogen to produce bladder cancers..those who gets exposed during the manufacture of the product containing VC is at risk..the monobloc chairs made of pvc isnt going to give you bladder cancer..perhaps when you burn them and savor the soot and smell.

The devil will find work for idle hands to do.-Morrissey

Posted : 30/03/2012 8:39 am
(@imcnovicio)
Trusted Member

Don't mean to put a damper on already committed projects, but for those planning future projects, I would urge awareness/reading up on the environmental issues of PVC so that informed choices can be made.

Lots of info available ... just web search 'pvc environmental' or 'pvc poison plastic' or 'pvc phase out' or 'pvc shower curtain', etc. Aside from issues throughout PVC lifecycle, one hazard not usually considered is what happens to the PVC during a (god forbid) fire.

With companies/consumers elsewhere in the world apparently shifting away from PVC, it is disturbing to see more and more PVC building materials being marketed locally ... doors, windows, paneling... Manufacturers banking on the less informed Filipino consumer?

Kind of like Canada dumping all its asbestos (chrysotile) fiber cement boards on Philippines?

On good side, I noticed {PVC/chlorine}-free (EVA I assume) shower curtains at Ace.

thanks for the info bro...in addition to your suggestion here are the sites w/c supports your concerns and add info for future use:bokmal:
http://home.howstuffworks.com/home-improvement/repair/vinyl-siding-lethal1.htm
http://archive.greenpeace.org/toxics/html/content/pvc1.html#life

Posted : 30/03/2012 11:38 am
(@zepol)
Reputable Member

@v

i'm glad to know pvc's danger is in the manufacturing process, not so much the actual product.

the water we drink travels through miles of pvc pipes. if pvc really is a concern, then the pvc ceilings and walls are the least of our concerns :).

as to fire safety, it's true that a drywall ceiling's safer, but imho the real danger comes from faulty wiring anyway. rather then replace wood ceilings and ceiling frames it makes more sense to maintain the wiring and install a smoke detector.
Posted via PHM Mobile

Posted : 30/03/2012 11:47 am
(@balarila)
Noble Member

the water we drink travels through miles of pvc pipes. if pvc really is a concern, then the pvc ceilings and walls are the least of our concerns :).
Posted via PHM Mobile

I work for Manila Water and in charge of construction and operations. Since taking on that responsibility in mid-2004, we changed over from PVC plastics into HDPE. A great majority of plastic pipes in our system now are HDPE. Hope that eases some of the concern on the drinking water system.

Posted : 31/03/2012 4:12 am
violaine
(@violaine)
Noble Member
Topic starter

glad to know that ding! except for the endless digging at guadalupe area...the digging there is almost like a hobby now for the guys in your company! it just never ends!

it maybe true that HDPE is being installed but the small tributaries going within the household and old buildings arent.

it is still unsafe for the large part and they are not aware of it.

at least me tubig naman! 😀

🙁

Posted : 31/03/2012 7:09 am
violaine
(@violaine)
Noble Member
Topic starter

to continue...

had difficulty finding a LAN port..till i saw one at Ace.

slow pace.

Posted : 31/03/2012 7:17 am
joey
 joey
(@joey)
Estimable Member

to continue...

had difficulty finding a LAN port..till i saw one at Ace.

slow pace.

Great find doc! I usually buy that across raon. How much it cost?
Posted via PHM Mobile

Posted : 31/03/2012 10:32 am
violaine
(@violaine)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Its just a royu brand. 133pisotas iirc. Excluding the face plate.
Posted via PHM Mobile

Posted : 02/04/2012 4:54 pm
(@balarila)
Noble Member

glad to know that ding! except for the endless digging at guadalupe area...the digging there is almost like a hobby now for the guys in your company! it just never ends!

Guilty as charged!

Distribution network we took over had a lot of undocumented underground assets. We replace what we know but, quite a number of times, something breaks somewhere where a pipe or appurtenance should not be! We're winding down on the small plastic pipes now so digging should be less frequent.

Posted : 02/04/2012 9:05 pm
Page 3 / 3
Share: