Forum

Barbeque Grill from...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Barbeque Grill from a used 220 liter metal drum ...

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
(@boo-semi-retired)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

for my next project, i intend to make 2 barbeque grills (one for the ground level and the other one for the roof deck) using the 2 metal drums we used for the house construction 🙂 he he he ... below are just some of the functions / features i'm thinking that i wanted to have for my DIY barbeque grill:
- it must have a cover and a vent for smoke when it's close ...
- it must be able to accomodate a rotisserie capable of handling 2 lechon manok at one time (future enhancement ones i find a suitable motor) ...
- it must have interchangeable grills and/or steel plates (e.g. all grill, all steel plate, half grill and half steel plate) ...
- it must have an adjustable charcoal area for heat control when grilling ...
- it must have an opening with cover at the bottom for removing the ashes ...
- wheels at one side for easy movement and handles at the other side ...
- flat work area at the sides for others stuffs ... and maybe a storage area at the bottom of the grill for charcoal and most important, a small ice cooler for a six-pack beer 🙂 ...

since i don't know how to weld, my plan is to assemble everything using blind rivets and/or nuts/bolts and then bring it to a shop for them to weld permanetly the areas that needs to be welded. it will probably take me 1-2 weeks to finalize the design and the materials that i'll be using. if you have any nice ideas (functions / features) that will make grilling easy, fun, and enjoyable, feel free to share your ideas ... cheers 🙂 he he he

Boo!

Posted : 21/03/2015 10:35 am
(@boo-semi-retired)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

just thinking out loud of the initial design and plan for the steel drum BBQ grill based on the materials that i have now and what i need that i don't have 🙂 he he he ...

- grill door maximum area should be 25% of the drum's circumference ... don't cut the rim (bottom and top of drum) to maintain the rigidity of the drum. this will also give you a lot of alternative options for the placement of the rotisserie (across the drum) in the future ... bottom and top portion of the drum will be the mount for the rotisserie ...
- above the grill area will be a small area for placing the cooked food ... can be a fix flat bar around the perimeter with screen mesh in the middle area ...
- grill area platform will be a fix angle bar around the inner portion of the drum ... the removable grill or steel plate will rest on top of the grill area platform ...
- charcoal area platform will have flat bar (with steel handle at 2 ends) around the perimiter and screen mesh in the middle ... mounted along the inner part of the drum whose height (from the grill area) can be adjusted (at least 3-4 level position) ...
- bottom of the grill will have a square opening and cover for sweeping the ashes ...
- foldable small work area table at both sides of the grill (outside) ...
- the drum will be mounted on 2 pcs of 3/4" GI pipe ... use 2 small piece of long GI sheets to support the bottom of the drum to the GI pipes ... the 4 legs of the GI pipe will be 1-3/4" pvc pipes ... the bottom area of the legs will also use pvc pipes for the braces ... bamboos will be laid across (held by screws) the braces to serve as the storage area at the bottom of the grill ... electrical pvc mouldings to be place around all the sides of the bamboo area ... the 2 legs will have a wheel at each end ... the other 2 legs will have some sort of a handle (wheelbarrow style) for pushing the grill ...

what i have:
- 2 pcs of hinges for the door of the grill ...
- ss handle for the door that will be hidden inside a thick bamboo ...
- 2 pcs of ikea ss pot holder that can be use as a grill ...
- 1 pcs ss grill screen mesh ...
- 2 pcs of hinges for the opening at the bottom of the grill ...
- 2 pcs of folding shelf support with quick release action ...
- 3/4" GI pipe for mounting the drum ...
- small strips of GI sheet cut from the steel deck ...
- 1-3/4" pvc pipes for the legs and braces ... i also have 2 cans of spray foam that will expire (i need to use it, otherwise it will harden) end May 2015 which i can put inside the pvc pipes to make it more rigid ...
- lots of bamboos 🙂 ... just a thought, we have a lot of thick bamboos (they call it "bayog" in ilonggo) around this area which i can use as the base/platform to mount the drum ... good idea to consider, to be in synch with the bahay kubo motif of the house 🙂 he he he ...
- lots of metals screws and blind rivets to assemble everything together ...
- 2 plastic wheels from an old broken shopping cart that i kept ...

what i don't have:
- plate thermometer for tempreture reading ; cost is 250 @ a mall in marbel ... i saw it while looking for a fridge thermometer for a project that has been in my list for a long time, convert an old fridge for air drying steak (my favourite meal) for at least 21 days 🙂 ...
- angle bar for the grill area platform ...
- ss plate as a hot plate ...
- small ss rods to make a bigger grill if needed ... ss screen mesh, size is about 60cm x 90cm (drum size) ...
- flat bar for charcoal area and small area above the grill ... also the screen mesh ...
- 4 pcs of shelf support for the work area table and 8 small hinges for folding it sideways ...

next thing to do is check out the available sizes and prices of the angle bars and flat bars ... also the sizes and prices of ss rods (at least 3-3.5mm) and screen mesh (1/2"x1/2" square sizes) if they are not that expensive ... cheers

Boo!

Attached files

Posted : 24/03/2015 11:26 am
(@boo-semi-retired)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

my wife told me yesterday to throw one of her old vacuum cleaner as it's broken (broken latch, cannot close the cover) ... sabi ko lang sa kanya, thank you tart, you just gave me a motor for the rotisserie of my barbeque grill project 🙂 ... i just need to learn and understand how to make a PWM board to control the speed of the AC motor ... cheers

Boo!

Attached files

Posted : 24/05/2015 9:41 am
(@fourtheboys96)
Reputable Member

my wife told me yesterday to throw one of her old vacuum cleaner as it's broken (broken latch, cannot close the cover) ... sabi ko lang sa kanya, thank you tart, you just gave me a motor for the rotisserie of my barbeque grill project 🙂 ... i just need to learn and understand how to make a PWM board to control the speed of the AC motor ... cheers

Boo!

Nice Boo!

Please update us on how you intend to reduce the speed of this motor.

Regarding your design, you can add a small separate chamber beside the main grill and you now have a smoker.

Posted : 25/05/2015 11:49 am
(@boo-semi-retired)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

pre, up to now, i still have not started on my babeque grill drum :-), just too busy reading and trying to understand a lot of electrical/electronic things with regards to my home automation project. but i do plan on starting on it one of these days ... about the speed (reducing it) of the motor, my plan is to really use a PWM board to control the speed, even if the motor is 220VAC. it will be in synch with my goal sa home automation project ko ... i can include a microcontroller and wifi chip (long term plan) into the PWM board so that i can control it remotely and automatically 🙂 he he he ... pre, that's a great idea about the smoker 🙂 he he he. divide the grill area into 2 parts with a metal partition in the middle. then also divide the door of the grill into 2 parts ... doable yan idea mo 🙂 ... cheers

Boo!

Posted : 30/05/2015 6:59 am
Share: