plug for 200A dc inverter

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Reactions
(@ambo2004)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hi ,

Total newbie here. Hoping to do some practicing tom.

I recently bought a Hitronic 200A DC inverter from Goldpeak. I'm looking for a 30A or 40A plug but was not able to get one. Most of the available plugs are rated at 15A max.
I checked the power cable and noticed that it has a gauge of 2.5mm or awg 14. It means that it is rated at maximum of 15A.

Can I use the 15A plug? I'll just need to remove the ground prong.
Can I use it on a ordinary household outlet?

By the way, what is the color of the ground wire? the 3 colored wires are Blue, Brown and Yellow w/ Green stripe? What are the power wires? I was able to check it when i tested it in Goldpeak.

Please advise.

Thank you,
Ambo2004

Posted : 25/03/2016 9:40 am
rosy
 rosy
(@rosy)

Check out on Metalworking tools, my review on my HiTronic 300amp arc welder, you will see what plug I have been using for the welder.

Its Omni 20amp plug and never had any issues with it since late 2013.

Hope this helps ! 😉

CIGWELD Weldskill 250 amp Mig Welder
AHP Alpha-TIG 200X welder
HITRONIC 300 Amp DC Inverter IGBT Welder
YAMATO 300 amp AC Stick Welder
YAMATO 200 amp DC Inverter IGBT Welder
DeWALT Chopsaw
HOBART and ESAB Welding Helmets
cloned STIHLs
MS 044 chainsaw
MS 070 chainsaw

Posted : 25/03/2016 1:07 pm
(@thugstools_413)
Trusted Member

well i could train u for 5 days about arc welding just provide me accomodation and meal when im going back in philippines probably this coming august...

Posted : 26/03/2016 2:11 am
(@ambo2004)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hi Rosy,
Thanks for the advise.
I bought the 20A Omni plug. My remaining dilemma is how to identify the power wires from the ground wire.
When i peeked between the slots, i saw that the blue and brown wires goes to the power switch. When I use a multi tester and toggle the switch , the resistances between the wires goes from zero to infinite.

Will there be a bad effect if I mis-identified the ground wire and connect it to one of the powered outlet?

No reply yet from Goldpeak. I guess they are still in vacation mode.

Thank you,
Ambo2004

Posted : 26/03/2016 5:17 pm
(@ambo2004)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hi Avmanansala,
This is a very good tip.
I'm planning to do this on a dedicated outlet for my power tools.
My most urgent concern right now is to test the welder by tom (sunday). Monday office work mode na naman.

Posted : 26/03/2016 5:25 pm
(@ambo2004)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

OK na guys.
I used the blue and brown solid colored wires.
The pictures from Rosy's unit also helped.
I checked the colors from the power cord to the breaker/switch.

Thank you.

Posted : 26/03/2016 7:21 pm
rosy
 rosy
(@rosy)

@ Bro ambo2004,

Based on my other 200amp DC welder, the color yellow w/ green stripe could be your ground wire but.... the welder may not need any use for it just like my 300amp HiTronic, the ground wire was taped backwards similar to my 200amp Yamato. Now my question is, at the back of your unit, is there some sort of protruding connector for a ground wire, if non then your unit can be used without the ground wire.

If you purchased the 20amp Omni plug, it would be best also to buy a 20 amp or 30 amp circuit breaker with a built-in socket with 3 prongs, I find it safer because you can easily switch your unit to on or off even though it is plugged in.

CHEERS and stay safe during welding sessions.

DeWALT Chopsaw
cloned STIHLs
MS 044 chainsaw
MS 070 chainsaw

Posted : 26/03/2016 7:33 pm
(@avmanansala)
Trusted Member

I agree with, If I'm allowed to cut my plug I would settle for something cheaper but proven solution like Rosy's 20amps omni plug.

Posted : 27/03/2016 6:10 am
rosy
 rosy
(@rosy)

Bro, I also have a new welder from abroad with the same pin type plug that needs a 50 amp 220 volt receptacle( socket ). Just ordered 2pcs of the sockets from a friend for my Tig welder and future mig welder. If the welder comes with an original plug then simply buy the necessary receptacle for it and don't ever think of cutting the original plug, it will void the warranty for the machine.

Unlike the HiTronic or Rilon arc machines, this is a different story. they have their machines come without the plug so I guess its up to the user to decide what type of plug for 220 V to use for the unit.

I may head one of this days to any Wilcon Depot and look for that Eagle brand of receptacle you suggested, thank you for the tip !

Always stay safe during welding time !! :chopper:

DeWALT Chopsaw
cloned STIHLs
MS 044 chainsaw
MS 070 chainsaw

Posted : 27/03/2016 3:24 pm