220/50 hertz drill press

38 Posts
8 Users
0 Reactions
bugel
(@bugel)
Noble Member
Topic starter

I'm planning to buy a portable drill press..the cheapest i saw in sulit is ryobi brand..
Rated 220/50 hertz.. Okay kaya to?

Advise nga mga sir..

TIA..

Posted : 03/06/2013 9:28 pm
(@miked)
Reputable Member

Re: 220/50 hertz drill press

sir bugel,

mas bibilis ang rotation nung motor by 20% which can also increase cooling and ok lang din sya as long as hindi magiincrease ang current draw. an increase in speed can also result in lower torque. if magincrease kasi ang draw beyond the rated capacity iinit din ang motor. pero afaik, mas ok ang 50 to 60 hz than the other way around. wait for more comprehensive replies galing sa mga fellow phm na mas nakakaalam pa neto.

Posted : 03/06/2013 10:21 pm
rosy
 rosy
(@rosy)

Hey bugel,

Most if not all, these surplus motorized tools coming from Australia has only 50 hertz electricity current flow unlike here in our country that we have 60 hertz. Medyo alalay lang ang pag gamit so motor will not over heat, kung maninipis lang na metal ang bubutasin, that will also be fine but of course the marking of 50-60 hertz is better, akma sa Phil. current.

You can get in touch with bro pyth, a PHM member and has a sulit account too, he gives discount to co- members as well, he ships out also to any part of the country. You can be assured, he sells his tools na almost 99.99% brand new. Purchased lots from him na. Sabihin mo lang na I recommended him to you.

Hope this helps !! 😎 :jump:

CIGWELD Weldskill 250 amp Mig Welder
AHP Alpha-TIG 200X welder
HITRONIC 300 Amp DC Inverter IGBT Welder
YAMATO 300 amp AC Stick Welder
YAMATO 200 amp DC Inverter IGBT Welder
DeWALT Chopsaw
HOBART and ESAB Welding Helmets
cloned STIHLs
MS 044 chainsaw
MS 070 chainsaw

Posted : 04/06/2013 10:11 am
bugel
(@bugel)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Thanks sir miked for the info..

Sir rosy thanks sa tips..i will used it For accurate and straight drilling lang naman..most of the time i prefer my regular electric drill dahil mas convenient and faster set up.

So go na kaya ako sa ryobi brand nato? Baka may forum member na gumagamit ng 220/50 hertz gusto kong malaman yung actuall operation ng power tools nila.

Thanks..

Posted : 04/06/2013 12:23 pm
timber715
(@timber715)

My opinion would be to ask you how much is the ryobi drillpress and check out what is available locally, it might be a surprise that the locally availble one could cost about several hundred pesos more but giveyou what you need.

click my signature and it will take you there........

Posted : 04/06/2013 3:57 pm
(@miked)
Reputable Member

iirc, regarding sa prices yung hunter with 16mm chuck (taiwan made) sa LYS for example is P11k plus. napadaan kasi ako kanina dun. may thread din dito regarding drill press. parang ang sabi P6k yung milton. tanong ka rin kay EY industrial yung pinagbilhan natin ng yamato dc.

Posted : 04/06/2013 8:53 pm
bugel
(@bugel)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Sir timb, around 4k yung ryobi..I'm in the province so most of the time sa sulit lang ako nag tool hunting.
I am not very familiar in metropolitan area,baka maligaw pa ko.hehehe.

Posted : 04/06/2013 9:46 pm
bugel
(@bugel)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Sir miked na miss ko yata yung thread ng drill press,san naka locate?

Tia!

Posted : 04/06/2013 9:49 pm
(@joey81)

Sir timb, around 4k yung ryobi..I'm in the province so most of the time sa sulit lang ako nag tool hunting.
I am not very familiar in metropolitan area,baka maligaw pa ko.hehehe.

Sa Dau maraming seller ng drill press. Comparable sa Metro Manila price.

Posted : 04/06/2013 10:12 pm
bugel
(@bugel)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Sir joey anung brand yung nakita mo?

Thanks..

Posted : 04/06/2013 10:56 pm
(@balarila)
Noble Member

I have the RyobiEDP2521L Drill Press bought a few years ago so I can't really remember for how much. It was brand new (or so the seller claimed) but looks brand new anyway except for the battered box.

It's god enough for regular use or me. It's 50Hz but so far works ok. You can set the speed by letting the belt set on the proper pulley diameter so, as long as you don't set it at max speed, running a 50Hz motor on 60Hz should still provide you the necessary torque.

I usually drill wood with occasional metal. Recently, I had my son drill some angle brackets for me so he used it straight for several hours and still worked fine.

I have only three peeves:

1. Non-"standard" table mounting holes. The table (where you rest the material you are drilling) has mounting holes for attaching dill press vises. But the record vises I find do not fit these holes. Not really a problem because I should build a mounting jig for it anyway.

2. The swing size could have been wider. The swing size specified as twice the space between the vertical column and the drill bit (or the center of the table). I really don't understand why it's specified as 2x but, in my dril's case, the maximum width of material I can feed into the drill press from the hole I want to bore until it nudges onto the column would be a little over 3 inches. You need to think about this when buying the drill press as you may need to bore holes farther from the edge of your material.

3. Non-"standard" mounting for mortiser. I got a mortiser attachment hoping to use the drill in making mortises. But the mortiser available at sulit I found are for mounting onto larger diameter columns.

Posted : 05/06/2013 2:19 pm
JayL
 JayL
(@jayl)

Here's my take.

I have a 50 hz tool like my Bosch Angle Grinder. It does run faster but I kind of like it that way.

However for drill press drilling I would much prefer that the different speed settings of the tool are normal. Running it at 50 hz would run it faster.

My reason for this is because I drill a lot of different metals. Correct speed settings and feed pressures are very important factors to consider when working on these type of materials.

Millermatic 180 Autoset Mig Welder
Miller Spoolmate 100 Spool Gun
Victor Firepower 350 Oxy Ace Outfit
3M Speedglas 9002X AD Helmet
Makita LC1230 Dry Cut Saw
Ingersoll Rand Air Tools
Snap On Tools
Metabo Power Tools
Norseman Drill Cutting Tools
Bosch Power Tools
3M PPS

Posted : 05/06/2013 4:39 pm
(@joey81)

Sir joey anung brand yung nakita mo?

Thanks..

Powercraft

Posted : 05/06/2013 7:51 pm
(@balarila)
Noble Member

Here's my take.

I have a 50 hz tool like my Bosch Angle Grinder. It does run faster but I kind of like it that way.

However for drill press drilling I would much prefer that the different speed settings of the tool are normal. Running it at 50 hz would run it faster.

My reason for this is because I drill a lot of different metals. Correct speed settings and feed pressures are very important factors to consider when working on these type of materials.

Completely agree.

The Ryobi I have has a number of speed settings via re-adjustment of belt; much like gears of a bicycle but a lot more cumbersome. Nakakatamaran ko na i-adjust.

Note that I drill wood 99% of the time so have little need to adjust speed.

If you will be like Jay (a super-bakal-boy), you'll probably need something much more robust and flexible.

Posted : 06/06/2013 8:18 am
bugel
(@bugel)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Thanks to all..i think i stretch my budget to buy a better Drill press..most probably i will be using it to drill metals i'm afraid that the motor will not last long and end up a piece of scrap sitting in my shop.:p

Posted : 06/06/2013 10:12 am
Page 1 / 3
Share: