Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

can i weld 1mm steel w/ a Cigweld 135 fluxcore ?

10 Posts
4 Users
0 Reactions
(@velocitor)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

bros i need to weld 1.0mm mild steel square tubing. flux core. you think the Cigweld 135 would be able to do it?

if not i could probably go thicker like 1.5mm

Posted : 29/12/2015 10:24 pm
rosy
 rosy
(@rosy)

Yes you can bro, at a lower voltage/amperage to prevent warping or burn holes. Try doing spot welds at different spots at a time to allow welds to cool down before another bead is applied. Then probably following it up using stitch weld technique again at different spots and again letting it cool down to prevent warping of the sheet surface until you have filled the joints.

But of course its better to use a thicker square tubing like 1.5 mm or 2.0 mm.

May I suggest getting some scrap materials of the same thickness and practice on it to find out for yourself how you will attack and apply your beads on the surface joints. If you have no experience yet on welding, better practice first using your machine. I'm saying this cause I have no idea how a Cigweld 135 really performs compared to pro Mig welders.

A link for you to watch to get an idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNCVrxX_QP4

Hope this helps

Good Luck !

CIGWELD Weldskill 250 amp Mig Welder
AHP Alpha-TIG 200X welder
HITRONIC 300 Amp DC Inverter IGBT Welder
YAMATO 300 amp AC Stick Welder
YAMATO 200 amp DC Inverter IGBT Welder
DeWALT Chopsaw
HOBART and ESAB Welding Helmets
cloned STIHLs
MS 044 chainsaw
MS 070 chainsaw

Posted : 30/12/2015 11:22 am
(@velocitor)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

thanks rosy! will try to look for one at Marina Arcade, Dau, Pampanga

Posted : 03/01/2016 7:19 pm
(@velocitor)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

just got my unit! P7500 from an olx seller in angeles city, pampanga

seems to be new but the box is pretty beat up LOL

oh btw the auto-darkening and gloves aren't included w/ the cigweld

Posted : 19/02/2016 12:08 am
rosy
 rosy
(@rosy)

So finally you got your Cigweld ! Bro can you make a performance review of the unit using fluxcore or possibly in case you decide to use it with a shielding gas, would really be nice to know how it performs with both process, without gas and with gas.

Lots of this welder can be found at OLX at various prices but seems not much are biting since no actual reviews of its quality and performance can be viewed. I know your reviews will educate us all here of this machine.

Enjoy your new toy and remember, SAFETY FIRST !! :whistle::thumbup:

CIGWELD Weldskill 250 amp Mig Welder
AHP Alpha-TIG 200X welder
HITRONIC 300 Amp DC Inverter IGBT Welder
YAMATO 300 amp AC Stick Welder
YAMATO 200 amp DC Inverter IGBT Welder
DeWALT Chopsaw
HOBART and ESAB Welding Helmets
cloned STIHLs
MS 044 chainsaw
MS 070 chainsaw

Posted : 19/02/2016 11:53 am
Crazy cut
(@crazy-cut)
Trusted Member

Hi Velocitor,

I would like to share my idea about using your cigweld 135 to weld 1mm mild steel.Yes you can provided you have to use solid wire of 0.6 mm with sheilding gas Co2 this is ideally to use "but sometimes sheilding gas may vary according to manufacturer advice see attached instraction but most commonly used Co2". For fluxed cored it's hard to do it bec usually fluxcored started at 0.8 mm and giving deep penetration or ideal to use in outdoor and windy condition. So, much better to invest in CO2 tank and argon/co2 gauge flowmeter with heater more much better.

I have a cigweld weldskill 150 amp. This is a transformer base power source same as your cigweld 135. Keep in mind to use extension cored at least No.14 AWG & a 20 amps breaker. Cigweld 150 amps can weld up to 6 mm thickness of mild steel at No 4 setting and of wire speed of between 6 /7 @ 0.8 mm solid wire contenuously 30 cm lenght without hitting the duty cycle. Ideal for a serious hobbyist and a trade person as per my test evaluation.

The quality of the welds may depend on the skill of the operator and the brand of the solid wire.

I hope this will help.

Posted : 10/03/2016 12:21 am
bugel
(@bugel)
Noble Member

Yes a small diameter mig wire is the way to go,sarap gamitin..mahal nga lang..hehe..bihira pa dito satin ang ganyang size ng wire..

To prevent burn through pwede mong ipatong ang hihinangin mo sa aluminum or copper block that will served as heat sink then make a series of overlapping welds( stitch weld) sa ganyang technique less ang heat accumulation sa weld piece..

1.2mm tubing

Posted : 10/03/2016 2:26 am
Crazy cut
(@crazy-cut)
Trusted Member

Hi bugel,

Wow that's a good beads "impressive" done by professionals. Lincoln rods its really good less spatters just like any other leading brands such as Cigweld, ESaB, HoBart Oerlikon and etc. Nihonweld also good they have 0.6 mm solid wire.

5 kls spool mig wire is much more expensive than a 15 kls. I don't know why.... Maybe for portability?

Posted : 10/03/2016 2:43 am
(@velocitor)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

So finally you got your Cigweld ! Bro can you make a performance review of the unit using fluxcore or possibly in case you decide to use it with a shielding gas, would really be nice to know how it performs with both process, without gas and with gas.

Lots of this welder can be found at OLX at various prices but seems not much are biting since no actual reviews of its quality and performance can be viewed. I know your reviews will educate us all here of this machine.

Enjoy your new toy and remember, SAFETY FIRST !! :whistle::thumbup:

sorry for the late response! i've been busy last year so i haven't really been able to use the machine. i'll be building a bike carrier so i'll try to share what i can about this model. but take note i'm basically a noob so i don't think i'll have anything useful to say about this machine LOL

Posted : 06/01/2017 10:10 pm
(@velocitor)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Yes a small diameter mig wire is the way to go,sarap gamitin..mahal nga lang..hehe..bihira pa dito satin ang ganyang size ng wire..

To prevent burn through pwede mong ipatong ang hihinangin mo sa aluminum or copper block that will served as heat sink then make a series of overlapping welds( stitch weld) sa ganyang technique less ang heat accumulation sa weld piece..

1.2mm tubing

damn! those are very very nice looking welds!

Posted : 06/01/2017 10:12 pm
Share: