[Sticky] FEEDBACK and REVIEW for YAMATO 200 DC Inverter arc welder

197 Posts
36 Users
0 Reactions
JayL
 JayL
(@jayl)

Re: FEEDBACK and REVIEW for YAMATO 200 DC Inverter arc welder

I always want to come in as hot as the welder and metal can take it. I think I came in a bit cold here @ 140A on the 1/2" flat bar.

Overall I'm very happy with the purchase. Probably the Yamato will not hold up to production or commercial use but this still needs to be seen. Maybe it can too as long as one sticks to it's duty cycle and knows how to handle it.

For DIY ... yes that's me and I'm satisfied. I can use it to build wips and it is user friendly. In the hands of a more skilled craftsman this welder can do a lot ... no question in my mind now about that.

Warranty and service is provided by the distributor so in case something goes south then there's somebody to care of it. Price of a comparable Miller is around 6x that of this Yamato. Which one is a better choice ? ... go figure it out.

Millermatic 180 Autoset Mig Welder
Miller Spoolmate 100 Spool Gun
Victor Firepower 350 Oxy Ace Outfit
3M Speedglas 9002X AD Helmet
Makita LC1230 Dry Cut Saw
Ingersoll Rand Air Tools
Snap On Tools
Metabo Power Tools
Norseman Drill Cutting Tools
Bosch Power Tools
3M PPS

Posted : 28/05/2012 9:23 pm
rosy
 rosy
(@rosy)
Topic starter

Overall I'm very happy with the purchase. Probably the Yamato will not hold up to production or commercial use but this still needs to be seen. Maybe it can too as long as one sticks to it's duty cycle and knows how to handle it.

For DIY ... yes that's me and I'm satisfied. I can use it to build wips and it is user friendly. In the hands of a more skilled craftsman this welder can do a lot ... no question in my mind now about that.

Warranty and service is provided by the distributor so in case something goes south then there's somebody to care of it. Price of a comparable Miller is around 6x that of this Yamato. Which one is a better choice ? ... go figure it out.

Bro Jayl,

AHHHAAA !!!!, So you finally made a run and tested your Yamato DC Inverter on several scrap metals and I'm glad to know and see that you liked the welder too coz all the other guys who purchased the unit enjoyed and liked how the machine performed also. I guess we just have to know or probably master its limitations since it is only a small 200 amp DC Inverter machine. :p ;):cool:

CIGWELD Weldskill 250 amp Mig Welder
AHP Alpha-TIG 200X welder
HITRONIC 300 Amp DC Inverter IGBT Welder
YAMATO 300 amp AC Stick Welder
YAMATO 200 amp DC Inverter IGBT Welder
DeWALT Chopsaw
HOBART and ESAB Welding Helmets
cloned STIHLs
MS 044 chainsaw
MS 070 chainsaw

Posted : 29/05/2012 11:23 am
JayL
 JayL
(@jayl)

Yes Bro Rosy ... so far ok naman ako sa Yamato natin. One need spend more time with the welder nga lang to know it better but it's very easy to use initially.

Ingersoll Rand Air Tools
Snap On Tools
Metabo Power Tools
Bosch Power Tools
3M PPS

Posted : 29/05/2012 10:22 pm
(@balarila)
Noble Member

My Yamato is dead!

Well, the pilot lamp on the switch is lit. But the fan is not turning and I can't get it to weld. I was just starting to weld this morning, set it at 90A, then tried to do a spot. Too little current. So I switched it off, moved the dial to 100A, switched it back on. No fan. No power or the rod. Aaaargh!

Did this happen to anyone here?

Bro Rosy, paki PM naman number nung distributor. I'll probably ask for a replacement.
Posted via PHM Mobile

Posted : 09/06/2012 1:00 pm
rosy
 rosy
(@rosy)
Topic starter

Nope, not experienced it with my Yamato. Bro Ding if you have time this pm, punta ka sa warehouse and have it checked or probably replaced the unit with another one but call first Miss Mimi G.

Her tel. # 377-9434, Sya mismo sasagot dyan.

What happened kaya, did you strictly follow the procedures on the sticker above the unit ???. ?

DeWALT Chopsaw
cloned STIHLs
MS 044 chainsaw
MS 070 chainsaw

Posted : 09/06/2012 1:20 pm
JayL
 JayL
(@jayl)

Is it necessary to turn off the machine when adjusting current?

I never turn off my Yamato when adjusting current. However I make sure that it's not burning a rod when I do so.

Ingersoll Rand Air Tools
Snap On Tools
Metabo Power Tools
Bosch Power Tools
3M PPS

Posted : 09/06/2012 2:19 pm
(@willy1467)
Estimable Member

Sorry to hear about your welder bro. I constantly turn off my welder and adjust the current. I never experienced that. Have it checked immediately. How long kaya for outright replacement. Forgot to ask when I purchased mine.

Posted : 09/06/2012 2:41 pm
JayL
 JayL
(@jayl)

This is what's good about longer warranty periods offered by the vendor. We have more time to burn in the welders.

Electronics need a certain burn in period. Usually once this has been achieved without any problems the machine will work out well through it's life cycle.

Let's use our welders more often to pass this burn in period before the warranty on parts expire.

In my opinion it is not necessary to turn off the welder when adjusting amperage. What is important is not to adjust it while the welder is burning a rod.

Ingersoll Rand Air Tools
Snap On Tools
Metabo Power Tools
Bosch Power Tools
3M PPS

Posted : 09/06/2012 4:50 pm
rosy
 rosy
(@rosy)
Topic starter

Is it necessary to turn off the machine when adjusting current?

I never turn off my Yamato when adjusting current. However I make sure that it's not burning a rod when I do so.

Yes JayL, I think it is necessary specially when you will increase the amperage setting, I do this also on my YAMATO AC welder, this is as instructed by a friend TESDA instructor. According to him they have burned machines or capacitors by students unmindful of some procedures in using the machines. 😮 🙁

On your Yamato DC, there is a sticker on top with very fine prints, read it and you will see there some warnings on DOs and DON'Ts and turning of the machine when adjusting current is one. :thumbup:

DeWALT Chopsaw
cloned STIHLs
MS 044 chainsaw
MS 070 chainsaw

Posted : 09/06/2012 4:56 pm
JayL
 JayL
(@jayl)

Bro I read it and it says

" Please do not adjust power whilst welding" .

For me I don't want to turn off and on the welder just to adjust amperage. I just make sure I'm not welding.

Of course opinions vary and I do respect your point of view.

In passing .... is there a fuse on the welder? I reckon it should have one. Maybe Bro Ding's problem might be a fuse.

Ingersoll Rand Air Tools
Snap On Tools
Metabo Power Tools
Bosch Power Tools
3M PPS

Posted : 09/06/2012 5:22 pm
rosy
 rosy
(@rosy)
Topic starter

HEHEHEHE, No problem there bro JayL, we all have opinions that differ from each other but of course we always presume it will always be to our advantage and for the safe use of our new toy.

Well with regards to Bro Ding's experience, if it happens to me too, I will immediately bring it back to Mimi and have it replaced or checked. That's the problem of weekend warriors, not being able to really break in the new machine to the max, just like what you said, to really use it as often as we could to pass the burn in period before the warranty expires. :rolleyes:

Kung baga that is already the second unit that had a factory defect, the first one was also purchased by a PHM member after our group buy, but according to Mimi the unit was immediately replaced with and brand new unit. :p

I just hope Ding was able to fix or have his unit replaced with a new one !!!!!!!!!!

DeWALT Chopsaw
cloned STIHLs
MS 044 chainsaw
MS 070 chainsaw

Posted : 09/06/2012 5:52 pm
(@balarila)
Noble Member

Certainly seems like a fuse. But what puzzles me is that the pilot lamp is lit. I'd assume a pilot lamp is in series with a fuse. Was tempted to en it up but remembered it might void warranty.

Also been very careful with my use of the Yamato. Been fearful about electrocution and that arc just looks so menacing to me.

I recall when I was testing it at the shop that, on first use, the red overload lamp lit up. We switche DIY off then on again and it worked fine. That could have been a symptom. I hope repair/replacement is quick.
Posted via PHM Mobile

Posted : 09/06/2012 6:10 pm
JayL
 JayL
(@jayl)

I am tempted to plug the welder and just leave it switched On. I don't have time to use it yet.

Ingersoll Rand Air Tools
Snap On Tools
Metabo Power Tools
Bosch Power Tools
3M PPS

Posted : 09/06/2012 7:03 pm
timber715
(@timber715)

My Yamato is dead!

Well, the pilot lamp on the switch is lit. But the fan is not turning and I can't get it to weld. I was just starting to weld this morning, set it at 90A, then tried to do a spot. Too little current. So I switched it off, moved the dial to 100A, switched it back on. No fan. No power or the rod. Aaaargh!

Did this happen to anyone here?

Bro Rosy, paki PM naman number nung distributor. I'll probably ask for a replacement.
Posted via PHM Mobile

that is sad, I hope things work out well...

click my signature and it will take you there........

Posted : 09/06/2012 9:28 pm
rosy
 rosy
(@rosy)
Topic starter

HI Ding, were you able to bring your YAMATO to the warehouse for repair or a replacement yesterday ???

Thanx................

DeWALT Chopsaw
cloned STIHLs
MS 044 chainsaw
MS 070 chainsaw

Posted : 10/06/2012 8:33 am