126 Posts
21 Users
0 Reactions
rosy
 rosy
(@rosy)
Topic starter

Re: HiTronic Arc 300 Inverter

After the E7018 hot pass, I applied two passes of E6013 to finish of the first weld applications.

And this is the back side of the metal joint. :p

CIGWELD Weldskill 250 amp Mig Welder
AHP Alpha-TIG 200X welder
HITRONIC 300 Amp DC Inverter IGBT Welder
YAMATO 300 amp AC Stick Welder
YAMATO 200 amp DC Inverter IGBT Welder
DeWALT Chopsaw
HOBART and ESAB Welding Helmets
cloned STIHLs
MS 044 chainsaw
MS 070 chainsaw

Posted : 09/01/2014 3:51 pm
rosy
 rosy
(@rosy)
Topic starter

And for the second weld application on the reverse side:

On this E6011 rod application, I added the use of "arc force" and welded the metal on a flat position.

And here is a closeup of the stock. If you will notice again how the E6011 rod would melt the sides of the metal joint.

Here is the E7018 weld application at 135 amps.

A closeup of the weld application. A much better appearance though still looks bad for me but that is fine since it will still be capped by E6013 rods.

DeWALT Chopsaw
cloned STIHLs
MS 044 chainsaw
MS 070 chainsaw

Posted : 09/01/2014 4:16 pm
rosy
 rosy
(@rosy)
Topic starter

And after the E7018 weld application, I applied two passes of E6013, one on top of the other as its cappings.

And the two pics as its closeups.

DeWALT Chopsaw
cloned STIHLs
MS 044 chainsaw
MS 070 chainsaw

Posted : 09/01/2014 4:27 pm
rosy
 rosy
(@rosy)
Topic starter

And finally here's the reverse for the second weld application of the E6011 rods.
With "arc force" applied.

Root pass penetration is very evident on the metal joint.

Same pic as the last one, only this one with an arrow indicating the root pass.

Well I suppose this kind of weld applications do need a lot of practice, the root pass and the hot pass and capping to be able to produce decent looking weld beads or puddles.

With regards to the HiTronic unit, well its doing fine, doing great, delivering what I wanted it to deliver. :2thumbsup: Two thumbs up for this welding unit !!!
Until the next test applications.

CHEERS and THANKS FOR VIEWING !

TO BE CONTINUED !!!

DeWALT Chopsaw
cloned STIHLs
MS 044 chainsaw
MS 070 chainsaw

Posted : 09/01/2014 4:55 pm
(@balarila)
Noble Member

I can hear the Yamato whimpering in the corner saying "Nobody loves me anymore...hu-hu-hu..."

Looks like you got a new favorite, Bro Rosy.

Posted : 09/01/2014 5:15 pm
(@quarxdmz)
Trusted Member

a bit of OT here: I hope someone here can review ASEA or Rilon Inverter Welding Machine, since I was first considering ASEA but then I discovered this forum and got a Yamato Inverter instead.

I was also offered HiTronic Welding machine when I was shopping around, but I could not find any reference/review/recommendation at that time.

all in all I am satisfied with my Yamato Inverter machine, but sometimes curiosity can kill my pocket.

Posted : 09/01/2014 7:24 pm
rosy
 rosy
(@rosy)
Topic starter

I can hear the Yamato whimpering in the corner saying "Nobody loves me anymore...hu-hu-hu..."

Looks like you got a new favorite, Bro Rosy.

HAHAHA, I wonder whose Yamato could that be whimpering coz mine is still very active and working in welding metals specially on the log stand project which I am still working on.

Well the HiTronic arc welder cannot be considered a favorite, I am just doing test applications on it just like when I first got the Yamato two years ago. Pareho lang ang pakay ko, break in sa new stick welder. 😉

DeWALT Chopsaw
cloned STIHLs
MS 044 chainsaw
MS 070 chainsaw

Posted : 09/01/2014 9:15 pm
rosy
 rosy
(@rosy)
Topic starter

@quarxdmz,

Brad, first of all I am glad you are satisfied with your first choice of welder, yes its a good entry level machine and if cared properly will last you long and plus the fact that its the cheapest DC Inverter in the market, so hinde masakit sa bulsa for a first timer weld machine user.

Well, + 1 and agree on hoping that other members who have acquired the welders you have mentioned can do reviews as well so at least we have various brands in the forum to choose from, but of course that is already some wishful thinking, last years pa sila mga naka bili eh ! Maybe someday who knows you might decide to upgrade your current weld machine and head/plunge for a more heavy duty and more powerful machine, well if there are no other reviews here then may I suggest do some additional personal readings and research in the net so you get properly informed.

CHEERS bro and keep safe while welding !!! :2thumbsup::agree::bounceD:

DeWALT Chopsaw
cloned STIHLs
MS 044 chainsaw
MS 070 chainsaw

Posted : 09/01/2014 9:43 pm
rosy
 rosy
(@rosy)
Topic starter

Pahabol lang po, I would just like to share this article, taken from RODOVENS.COM, just a reminder of the welding rods we use for our metal projects.

Welding Rods Applications

Welding Rods and their applicationsMost welding needs, for both individual and commercial use, can be met by using a fewcommon welding rods. Listed below is a question about a welding machine and short descriptions of the characteristics and applications of five welding rods.

What welding machine should I use?

For an "all around general use" welding machine consider this: A machine with AC/DC output works well on most jobs but a DC machine, or a DC setting, for stick welding has more advantages over an AC machine. Use a 220 v, 40-225 amps and up, DC machine or setting because it offers easier starts, less sticking and spatter, stronger and better looking welds, in all positions.

What are the best welding rods to use for general or "all purpose" work on regular or mild steel?

Use 6010 for DC, 6011 for AC or DC. 6013 can also be used for DC or AC but it has less penetration than 6010 and delivers a better appearing weld. Use 6013 on lighter sheet metal and use 7018 low-hydrogen rods, (low-hy), for almost any use. Use 7024 for higher depositions in flat or horizontal positions.

6010 welding rods penetrate deeply but have high spatter. They are good for all positions, all types of steel, and almost any conditions and use DC current. (For better penetration on thicker steel over 3/8," bevel the edges and create a gap of about 1/8" wide; use 6010 for tack up and a root pass and weld the remaining passes and the "cap pass" with 7018.) 6010 welding rods need to be stored in a dry location, at room temperature, and in a sealed container.
6011 welding rods have all the characteristics of 6010, are used in all positions with AC or DC current, and work well on all types of regular or mild steel.
6013 has all the characteristics of 6010 but can be used with AC or DC current; it has less penetration and delivers a better-looking weld. Use 6013 on light sheet metal up to 3/16."
Use 7018 low-hy, low penetration, on all positions, with AC or DC current. Use the highest amp setting as practical. Use a straightforward "drag" progression with a "short arc." The low moisture make-up of this welding rod reduces chemical reactions in the weld itself and makes for the highest quality x-ray perfect welds. (Note - this electrode must be kept dry. If it's exposed to humid air or gets damp it must be dried in a rod oven before use. See Welding Rods Storage chart.)
Use 7024 high deposition welding rods for flat and horizontal positions. It's "easy" to use because its thick flux automatically maintains the correct arc length, which allows you to "drag" the rod.
In general, when working with steel plate or higher strength steel or pipe, you will get a better weld appearance by tacking-up and running a root pass with 6010 on DC current or setting, and then using low-hy 7018 rod on the remanding passes.

The days of keeping welding rods in an old refrigerator under a 100-watt light bulb are gone. The welding rods of "today" are really "high tech" and "space aged." They need proper storing and maintenance. Always check with the manufacture recommendations for use. It's easy, it's fast, and it doesn't cost a dime to do this. All welding rod manufactures are on line. Just do a quick search on Yahoo! and follow the suggestions of the manufacturer.

Hope that we are always kept informed and do learn too from this article!
CHEERS to the "Bakal Boys" here in the forum ! :jump: 😉 :superhero:

DeWALT Chopsaw
cloned STIHLs
MS 044 chainsaw
MS 070 chainsaw

Posted : 09/01/2014 10:05 pm
(@balarila)
Noble Member

Very informative article, Bro Rosy.

I had a chat with a bro-in-law over the holidays over my (mis)adventures in welding. He mentioned that, for my Yamato and the small brackets I weld, I may want to consider using thinner rod, such as a 3/32" instead of 1/8".

Does that make sense?

To broaden my question, how does one match rod diameter to the application or tool?

Posted : 10/01/2014 5:35 am
rosy
 rosy
(@rosy)
Topic starter

Yes bro ding, your brother in law is right, it would be better to use a thinner diameter welding electrodes for let's say thinner walled angle bars, square or rectangular tubings or anything that is quite thin. Yup the 3/32" will help a lot, its readily available in hardware stores selling welding accessories, perhaps 110 to 120 pesos /kg. Another option is purchasing at amazon some few boxes of the 1/16" thin rods, these are not available locally may it be 6013 or 7014, these are perfect for thin gauge metals. Simply follow the manufacturers ampere settings.

To answer your other question :
For 1/16" rods, recommended settings are from 20 amp to 50 amp.
This rods are usually used for gauge 14 or 16 or 18.

For 3/32" rods, recommended settings are from 70 amp to 90 amp.
This rods are usually used for gauge 14, 12, or 1/16" up to 3/16" metal thickness.

For the 1/8" rods, recommended settings are from 100 amp, 110 amp or 120 amp.
This rods are usually used also for 1/8", 3/16", to 1/4" or above in metal thickness.

For trials of the 1/16" rods 7014, see if you can get in touch with bro joey81, he may still have some boxes of this type of welding electrodes. 😉

DeWALT Chopsaw
cloned STIHLs
MS 044 chainsaw
MS 070 chainsaw

Posted : 10/01/2014 8:34 pm
rosy
 rosy
(@rosy)
Topic starter

OK, I had ample time over the weekend and did again some weld applications on some flat bars tacked into a Tee joints. Just a thought here, what's nice about having a new unit is that you get to test it through different weld positions, different ampere settings and different thickness of metals that one can find and using as well different types and sizes of welding electrodes locally available. Likewise honing and learning so much the skills needed to be able to properly handle the stringer/torch and lay the right weld beads onto to the metal being welded. And yet there are still more to be learned ! :bokmal: :attack:

And so to continue the tests:

This was my set up, preparing each Tee joint for the weld application, using different welding electrodes and different ampere settings. Initial weld applications were bad but as I went along continuously rendering weld beads, things went favorably and learning from the mistakes previously done. Angles of the welding rods were improved and corrected, there was more arm or hand control during weld travel and ETC. But of course that's not the main purpose or concern here, its the machine that I was testing and observing from time to time.

DeWALT Chopsaw
cloned STIHLs
MS 044 chainsaw
MS 070 chainsaw

Posted : 15/01/2014 12:39 pm
rosy
 rosy
(@rosy)
Topic starter

I first used the E7018 welding electrodes using different amperage settings. Using 115 amp, 120 amp and then 125 amp and 130 amp. These are settings that I have seen and watched being used by welders sharing their videos on YouTube, so said to myself might as well try them. :p

DeWALT Chopsaw
cloned STIHLs
MS 044 chainsaw
MS 070 chainsaw

Posted : 15/01/2014 1:07 pm
rosy
 rosy
(@rosy)
Topic starter

And for the other side of the Tee joints using 125 amp and 130 amp settings.

DeWALT Chopsaw
cloned STIHLs
MS 044 chainsaw
MS 070 chainsaw

Posted : 15/01/2014 1:13 pm
rosy
 rosy
(@rosy)
Topic starter

The second type is the E7024 welding electrode, again using different amperage settings,
120 amp, 130 amp and then 140 amp, and 150 amp.

Well some nicey weld bead applications but still very disappointed due to the "worm holes" that were produced or whatever. 🙁 May be due to movement of the rod angle or hand/arm control.

DeWALT Chopsaw
cloned STIHLs
MS 044 chainsaw
MS 070 chainsaw

Posted : 15/01/2014 1:29 pm
Page 4 / 9