Clear all

Yamato 200 dc inverter as TIG welder

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Reactions
(@greentech)
Topic starter

Good day people,

Have anybody here have use the Yamato 200 dc arc welder or any DC arc welder as aTIG welder by purchasing a TIG adapter? I am planning to weld thin stainless steel sheet about 0.5 mm thick. The Yamato dc arc welder which I purchase seem to have a hard time producing an arc on the minimum setting of 20 amp , this setting at 20 amp seem to be the best setting to weld thin stainless sheet using 1/16 inch 308L stainless steel rod. but sadly it was having a hard time producing an arc, setting to to 40amp easily produce an arc, but naturally it result in blow through hole in the sheet. Any suggestion among the experts?

Posted : 21/05/2012 6:38 pm
JayL
 JayL
(@jayl)

Re: Yamato 200 dc inverter as TIG welder

I'm no expert but I think at 0.5mm it's pushing stick welding to it's very limits on thin materials.

Probably I can Mig weld this thickness using 0.023 wire but I reckon Tig is the way to go for this application.

I'm hoping some other more experienced members will chime in.

Millermatic 180 Autoset Mig Welder
Miller Spoolmate 100 Spool Gun
Victor Firepower 350 Oxy Ace Outfit
3M Speedglas 9002X AD Helmet
Makita LC1230 Dry Cut Saw
Ingersoll Rand Air Tools
Snap On Tools
Metabo Power Tools
Norseman Drill Cutting Tools
Bosch Power Tools
3M PPS

Posted : 21/05/2012 7:37 pm
(@bryant77)
Reputable Member

The thinnest stainless steel sheet I have seen welded using arc welding is 0.9mm thick.

Using AC/DC TIG Welding you can weld aluminum as thin as a foil.

Posted : 21/05/2012 8:21 pm
rosy
 rosy
(@rosy)

Hi there bro greentech,

I'm no expert here either but since we have the same welder and a number of members here also have the same welder, I do believe that for thin sheet metals as thin as what you have indicated, best to use is a TIG weld machine or probably an OXY-ACET. welder. I have tried welding on thin sheet metals and really find it so hard to control getting some holes punched on the thin sheet but was able to do it successfully producing decent arcs BUT !!! warping of the sheet is so hard to control since the heat produced is too much for the metal sheet. Oh the thinnest sheet I have welded is I think 0.8mm or 0.9 mm of galvanized sheet.

Anyway, what type of proceedure or pattern are you going to apply on this 0.5mm thick of stainless metal sheet, are you repairing a portion of a car panel, or a body of a side car for tricycles made of stainless steel. Maybe if you are going to do a butt joint or overlapping joints, then it will be better to do some spot or tacking technique with the Yamato 200 amp DC Inverter arc welder and at intervals so to prevent sheet warping.

I'll try it tomorrow, I'll try to weld sheet of stainless steel panel and find out how the sheet metal will take the heat and if I can produce a decent arc on the 0.5mm stainless metal sheet using the DC Inverter arc welder. Oh I just remembered in my thread "Stick Welding on Stainless sheets, panels......" I think I tried it on the 0.5mm sheet but with a higher amperage of about 40 or 50 amps since I don't have yet a DC Inverter welder before. Pre unang dikit pa lang ng rod sa sheet surface, butas na agad. Anyway bro I'll try it tomorrow and will give you a feedback, baka it might just need some welding technique or whatever.

CIGWELD Weldskill 250 amp Mig Welder
AHP Alpha-TIG 200X welder
HITRONIC 300 Amp DC Inverter IGBT Welder
YAMATO 300 amp AC Stick Welder
YAMATO 200 amp DC Inverter IGBT Welder
DeWALT Chopsaw
HOBART and ESAB Welding Helmets
cloned STIHLs
MS 044 chainsaw
MS 070 chainsaw

Posted : 21/05/2012 9:09 pm
(@joey81)

@greentech,

I googled for arc to tig conversion and this is what I found:

http://www.weldequip.com/tig-conversion.htm

Is this conversion kit (or something similar) available locally? I don't know of anyone in PHM who has tried it.

Posted : 21/05/2012 9:37 pm
rosy
 rosy
(@rosy)

Good day people,

Have anybody here have use the Yamato 200 dc arc welder or any DC arc welder as aTIG welder by purchasing a TIG adapter? I am planning to weld thin stainless steel sheet about 0.5 mm thick. The Yamato dc arc welder which I purchase seem to have a hard time producing an arc on the minimum setting of 20 amp , this setting at 20 amp seem to be the best setting to weld thin stainless sheet using 1/16 inch 308L stainless steel rod. but sadly it was having a hard time producing an arc, setting to to 40amp easily produce an arc, but naturally it result in blow through hole in the sheet. Any suggestion among the experts?

Hey bro greentech,

You can find my feedback and result in another thread " Stick Welding on Stainless Steel sheets..............." I did use the same size of welding electrode, the same ampere settings, 20, 30, and 40 amps and the same thickness, 0.5mm thickness, its really quite difficult and frustrating to form an arc. Now may I suggest again, use a TIG welder for thin sheet metals, stick welders are not for thin sheet metals. :starwars: 😀

CIGWELD Weldskill 250 amp Mig Welder
AHP Alpha-TIG 200X welder
HITRONIC 300 Amp DC Inverter IGBT Welder
YAMATO 300 amp AC Stick Welder
YAMATO 200 amp DC Inverter IGBT Welder
DeWALT Chopsaw
HOBART and ESAB Welding Helmets
cloned STIHLs
MS 044 chainsaw
MS 070 chainsaw

Posted : 23/05/2012 1:40 pm
(@bogie67)
Eminent Member

I am not a frequent user but adding an accessories like "tig welding conversion kit" shown above is a plus. Puede kaya mag-assemble na lang nito using items shown on Lazada? Target use: sheet metal gage#22 and tubular steel. My unit is Kenzo ZX7-200A with digital amp readout and arc force/amp adjustment.

Posted : 04/01/2016 7:17 am
Share: