Clear all

YAMATO 200amp DC Inverter

193 Posts
35 Users
0 Reactions
amboy
(@amboy)
Reputable Member

Tama po ba ba sa negative yung rod holder? San po may mabibilhan ng medyo heavy duty at mahabang cable ba rod holder? Thanks po. Salamat po sa pg welcome.

Bro you can use the electrode holder on either negative or positive. Usually you use electrode positive if you want a deeper penetration on the metal since the heat is more in the welded material. However if you are using thin metals you would use electrode negative to avoid burn through on your welded materials.

On the welding cable, almost all hardware shops have this available. Try not to use too long a cable as this would result in power/current loss on your electrode... meaning what would normally require 70 amps on a 3 meter cable would require 80-90 amps (estimate) for 10m cable or longer. Suggest you limit your welding wire to 5 meters and just use a longer extension cord (min. gauge 12) so you can pull your yamato closer to your welding work.

Hope this helps 🙂

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4

Posted : 17/09/2013 12:35 pm
(@jules)

Re: YAMATO 200amp DC Inverter

Thanks po. Ung electrode holder ano po ang maganda at San magandang bumili? About extension wla po akong makita dto sa Amin na gauge 12 n flexible. Ang tigas nmn po nung mga thhn na cable.

Posted : 17/09/2013 1:17 pm
rosy
 rosy
(@rosy)
Topic starter

Hi there Jules,

Replace your Yamato existing welding rod holder with a Jackson brand, mas matibay at mas maganda ang kapit sa welding rod. Bro its kinda difficult for us to suggest a location and name of a store since we do not really know where you are coming from. Mag tanong tanong ka na lang sa mga hardware store that sells welding machines, welding rods and welding cables, for sure they have them.

For your electrical extension wire, its call # 12 or 10 stranded wires. Hanapin mo sa mga dedicated electrical shops.

CIGWELD Weldskill 250 amp Mig Welder
AHP Alpha-TIG 200X welder
HITRONIC 300 Amp DC Inverter IGBT Welder
YAMATO 300 amp AC Stick Welder
YAMATO 200 amp DC Inverter IGBT Welder
DeWALT Chopsaw
HOBART and ESAB Welding Helmets
cloned STIHLs
MS 044 chainsaw
MS 070 chainsaw

Posted : 17/09/2013 4:01 pm
horge
(@horge)
Estimable Member

Technicians from IndustrialSupply 143 already reiterated before during our group buy that this machine could take 2 or 3 welding rods of continuous use before a red light warning starts to appear. For me it was not a ridiculous advice, it was a sound one, warning us of the unit's limitation. So we were educated then before of its DUTY CYCLE,

Hehe...
I do understand duty cycle, and if ernie reported the "advice" accurately, to wit:
"after two sticks of welding rod to rest the unit for a few min before you weld again"
then I still find it ridiculous. Too harsh? Calling it 'misleading' isn't any gentler, but if a lot
was lost in ernie's retelling on PHM, then I withdraw the criticism:

What the above 'advice' was sorely-lacking was the concept of 'continuous use'.

a 60% duty cycle within 10 minutes of welding use'application, meaning we rest the machine after two or three minutes of continuous use, the remaining 6 or so minutes, we rest and cool the machine, after which we can continue our welding applications.

Errr, IIRC...
A 60% duty cycle prescribes 6 minutes of continuous use, and 4 minutes rest, not
"two or three minutes" of use and "the remaining 6 or so minutes" for rest. I'm all
for proper understanding, but "rule of thumb" advice tends to risk misunderstanding
of even very-basic principles.

It's tricky translating clinical data into useful/practical advice, and really, how does
the rule-of-thumb advice (reported by ernieserrano), stand up?

Has anyone else here had a non-lemon Yamato MMA-200 Handy IGBT even
so much as redlight, after using up "two sticks"?

Come on, now, let's hear it.
The 'advice' doesn't account for how much time it takes to consume "two sticks".
The (non-clinical) reality is that it is actually uncommon to consume rosy's "2-3 rods"
near continuously, within ten minutes. Just dropping and replacing a spent rod,
inspecting the weld and (if you subscribe to the practice) taking a chipping hammer
to it... it adds up. It is also not common, having a single weld long enough to need
"2-3 rods", each rod arc'ed continuously (to achieve nearly-continuous use of the
2-3 rods within 10 minutes), and hey, you're supposed to descale a prior weld's end
before you extend it with a fresh rod, meaning more time added to rest/cooling.
Commonly-shorter, separate welds on a workpiece mean reorienting one's attention
from one weld to the next, each reorientation again adding to rest/cooling-time.

Try timing yourself honestly on an actual workpiece at normal pace:
how many rods used up, from the clock-time you started to the 10 minute mark.

Now, I buy the principle of 'erring on the safe side', within reason. Also,
I appreciate rule-of-thumb generalization for faster/easier dissemination,

but a rule-of-thumb generally has to reflect reality. Dumbing it down (or inflating
a factor of safety for CYA purposes, and ESPECIALLY when offering it to a user/
customer with warranty claims) has limits, beyond which it enters the realm of
the ridiculous, and breeds misunderstanding of basic principles.

This applies to a few other "informal" generalizations or rules-of-thumb I've seen
offered on this site, on matters from reckoning steel yield-strength to the sizing
of circuit breakers and electrical wiring, and these are worse because they tend
to err on the side opposite to safety.

Bottom line, duty-cycle is reckoned in terms of time, not rods consumed.
If you're going to "convert" time into welding rods, it should reasonably-reflect
practical reality, and furthermore be qualified with a reference to the principle of
'continuous use'. That's JM2.

Posted : 17/09/2013 7:35 pm
(@miked)
Reputable Member

sa aking pagkakaalam, kaya ng yamato na yan ng tuloy tuloy at 155 Amperes....i think nakasulat sa manual or sa likod ng unit. pakicheck na lang at wala sa tabi ko yung yamato.

60% at 200 A
100% at 155 A.

usual na ginagamit ko na size is 3/32 in (2.5 mm) which requires 80-90 A. hindi pa naman nag on yung warning light yung sa akin.

Posted : 17/09/2013 8:49 pm
(@av973)
Estimable Member

I tend to agree with you. IIRC 60% is valid at 200A full scale.

As described on the earlier part of this thread, RED led lights seems to appear ( in my unit) in random order. Not even after 6 mins of use because I can't remember doing it in 6 mins straight. I did mentioned it to their tech. Sabi nila overheat daw. I told him that I tend to disagree. But well, maybe true if the thermal management was not designed right.

But, last time I use it at Marikina on an urgent repair after that habagat, at the middle of the 1st stick, RED light appears. I'm using 6011 @90A only, non continuous. I reset it. No RED light until I finished my repair for 2 hrs. Used 6011 @90 A and 6013 @120A.

The way I look at it, there maybe other problem other than the suspected thermal management. It may not be thermal management at all.

I will feedback observations on my sched gate repair at home soon.

Posted : 17/09/2013 9:22 pm
(@miked)
Reputable Member

1/8 6011 at 3/32 6013 pa lang nagagamit ko....setting aside the time spent for reloading rods, di pa rin continuous ang gamit ko for about 3-5 rods. kahit na nagpapahinga ako during welding diys eh naka-on pa rin yung unit. no oc light so far. or baka defective ang oc light (paktay!).

Posted : 17/09/2013 9:45 pm
horge
(@horge)
Estimable Member

sa aking pagkakaalam, kaya ng yamato na yan ng tuloy tuloy at 155 Amperes....i think nakasulat sa manual or sa likod ng unit. pakicheck na lang at wala sa tabi ko yung yamato.

60% at 200 A
100% at 155 A.

usual na ginagamit ko na size is 3/32 in (2.5 mm) which requires 80-90 A. hindi pa naman nag on yung warning light yung sa akin.

I tend to agree with you. IIRC 60% is valid at 200A full scale.

Not even after 6 mins of use because I can't remember doing it in 6 mins straight. I did mentioned it to their tech. Sabi nila overheat daw. I told him that I tend to disagree. But well, maybe true if the thermal management was not designed right.

I don't recall anything but a max amperage (at 200A) duty-cycle of 60% in
the operation manual, but what you two (and others elsewhere) posted
above tends to support what I'm saying: that the "2 sticks" advice, without
any qualifier on the nature of 'continuous use' is a bit too alarmist.

The "advice" sells the "Yamato" MMA-200 Handy DC IGBT short, and unfairly
suggests it to be less durable than it actually is. The "advice" does serve the
purpose of saving the vendor warranty-support costs: if all users are babying
their units according to the "two sticks" advice, then the odds of any unit
needing warranty-repair decrease dramatically.

It's not too hard to understand "60% duty cycle", so why not just explain it
instead of some conversion into "two sticks".

As described on the earlier part of this thread, RED led lights seems to appear ( in my unit) in random order. ...
But, last time I use it at Marikina on an urgent repair after that habagat, at the middle of the 1st stick, RED light appears. I'm using 6011 @90A only, non continuous. I reset it. No RED light until I finished my repair for 2 hrs. Used 6011 @90 A and 6013 @120A.

If it's erratic, I'm thinking false-positives: meaning anything from a wiggy
thermistor in high humidity (>90%RH) to faulty termination, rather than
true oveheating. Agan, JM2.

Posted : 17/09/2013 10:07 pm
amboy
(@amboy)
Reputable Member

Guys... from what I've reading so far on this thread... seems that the real issue is inconsistent quality control... hence getting a lemon here in there.

I just just feel sorry for bro ernieserrano's unfortunate experience with his unit(s)... (hats off though to the excellent after sales service of the supplier).

In the end im reminded of the adage... you get what you pay for. Does it apply to the yamato? Maybe so or maybe not. Regardless... this thread has helped me make an informed decision on my purchase as I'm sure everyone else is doing. 🙂

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4

Posted : 17/09/2013 11:27 pm
(@av973)
Estimable Member

He he he. Technically speaking , # of sticks is not a valid answer. Hey by the way, IIRC, the RED led is marked "OC" and not "OH".

Back then I was at tester board repairs, we sometimes implement what we call Field Change Order. This small circuit mods from manufacturer corrects or improve the eqpt. Mods were based from user failure record history. PHM already have these records on this thread (failures, total sales...).

Sir Rosy. Maybe good to check if our experience were sent to EY's manufacturer. There might be answers already. There might be mods already but...

Posted : 18/09/2013 8:55 am
amboy
(@amboy)
Reputable Member

Sir Rosy. Maybe good to check if our experience were sent to EY's manufacturer. There might be answers already. There might be mods already but...

Good suggestion... as im sure joseph is reading this thread too. Hopefully they can pass it along to the manufacturer or their supplier at least.

-×-×-×-×-×-×-×-×-×-×-×-×-×-×-×-
Posted using a Samsung Note 2 on Tapatalk Beta 4 for Android

Posted : 18/09/2013 9:34 am
horge
(@horge)
Estimable Member

Hey by the way, IIRC, the RED led is marked "OC" and not "OH"....

Traditionally, O.C. = overcurrent, indicating the demand for
welding current has exceeded what the welding machine
can support. The Yamato MMA 200 Handyman DC IGBT is
an IC affair, so the red "O.C." light serves as a general-error
indicator: many mobo failures unrelated to duty cycle may
also trigger the evil red light.

Posted : 18/09/2013 11:11 am
horge
(@horge)
Estimable Member

Good suggestion... as im sure joseph is reading this thread too. Hopefully they can pass it along to the manufacturer or their supplier at least.

🙂
I doubt feedback from EY would lead to changes at the factory (wherever it is).
As CKD, SKD or fully assembled units, the machines may be subject to rebranding
for distribution all over the region, and we are a very tiny slice of the market. I
mean, what would the manufacturer change, without also raising wholesale price?

Anecdotally, the last time I spoke to MG in-person, it was back at the D.Tuazon
location, and she related that she'd moved nearly thirty units since PHM'ers had
started pimping the Yamato MMA 200 DC IGBT. More have undoubtedy been
sold since, and out of all those units sold, I can only recall reading about a single
clear instance of a factory lemon: ernieserrano's. Other warranty claims may have
arguably resulted from misuse: in my case, it clearly did, and was fixed quickly.

Call it 1 lemon out of 50 sold. It may even prove to be 1 out of 100, in time:
For a low-cost DC IGBT unit, that's actually fairly low 'lemonage'. For perspective,
many industry analysts estimate the defect rate for Chinese electrical goods as
high as 1 out of 20. 'World-class' factories aim to do better than 1 out of 1,000.
If you will then consider the vendor's (EY) ready provision of free repairs under
warranty (sometimes even beyond the warranty-period) it's really a good deal.
Just look at how much other China-made IGBT DC welders cost.

Redlight misfires may be related to Pinoy operating environments often exceeding
90% relative humidity, or IOW outside op spec, and I don't think anyone else had
a unit die like ernie's. The redlight false-positives are more like discrepancies rather
than failures.

Rare lemon aside, you get solid performance and warranty-support.
At the price involved, you arguably get more than what you pay for.
(Again, look at how much other China-made IGBT DC welders cost.)

Since JosephS posted, whatever's lacking in customer relations and in sales/service
environment is probably being addressed, so what else is there to protest? Hehe...

If anyone's still disturbed by my 'ridiculous' comment, consider it withdrawn; just as
you can consider myself withdrawn from discussion.

h.

Posted : 18/09/2013 11:56 am
rosy
 rosy
(@rosy)
Topic starter

He he he. Technically speaking , # of sticks is not a valid answer. Hey by the way, IIRC, the RED led is marked "OC" and not "OH".

Back then I was at tester board repairs, we sometimes implement what we call Field Change Order. This small circuit mods from manufacturer corrects or improve the eqpt. Mods were based from user failure record history. PHM already have these records on this thread (failures, total sales...).

I agree with you bro Ariel that technically we cannot just base some sort of failure or the "OC" indicator lighting up by just the said number of sticks used, but I am trying to open my mind on the technicians respond before during our group buy, my question now is, of the guys who were there in the group buy, the first time welder owner, how many do you think know or have any idea about " DUTY CYCLE " ? My guess is less than 5 more or maybe less and perhaps with some additional number of heads who bought the unit after us. Anyway IIRC, I was the one who asked the technician for such information during our test runs on each machines being purchased, how many rods can be used before that "OC" RED LIGHT lits up and I was answered 2 or 3 rods of continuous use. The initial response I suppose was to keep us informed and warned of the unit's limitation with regards to "Duty Cycle" though not mentioning the two words. Well it was for the new welder owners to consider and keep in mind.

But anyway more than a year has passed and I suppose and hopefully all the members who purchased this machine have done some researching on the matter of "DUTY CYCLE" and hopefully more research on the usage and proper applications of welding using a DC Inverter machine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

-×-×-×-×-×-×-×-×-×-×-×-×-×-×-×-
Posted using a Samsung Note 2 on Tapatalk Beta 4 for Android

Hey bro ariel and amboy,

I have discussed this matter regarding the quality of this Yamato before with Ms Mimi when I was trying to relay the not so good experiences of our friend Ernie with his unit and asked some resolution or actions to rectify the matter. And from the response of Ms Mimi herself , that they are willing to replace the unit again for the second time or if the buyer would so desire, a complete refund of his money which I think bro Ernie chose the latter.

I just hope ms Mimi or JosephS are following or reading this thread and the very healthy discussions we have about their product herein and hopefully relay this to their supplier.
But then if there will be no actions on their part, I guess it might start back firing on them regarding the quality of this DC Inverter machine. Of course we want them continuous success in their business as an importer of the said brand of Inverters. 😉

CIGWELD Weldskill 250 amp Mig Welder
AHP Alpha-TIG 200X welder
HITRONIC 300 Amp DC Inverter IGBT Welder
YAMATO 300 amp AC Stick Welder
YAMATO 200 amp DC Inverter IGBT Welder
DeWALT Chopsaw
HOBART and ESAB Welding Helmets
cloned STIHLs
MS 044 chainsaw
MS 070 chainsaw

Posted : 18/09/2013 12:33 pm
amboy
(@amboy)
Reputable Member

Bro rosy... with the kind of after sales service they are giving us from PHM I wish they can expand their product lines so we can get na lang our tool needs from them... 😀

Posted using Samsung Note 2 on Tapatalk 4 for Android

Posted : 18/09/2013 12:48 pm
Page 10 / 13
Share: