Notifications
Clear all

sandblasting 101

20 Posts
10 Users
0 Reactions
(@reddydeleon)
Topic starter

any ideas to consider? im planning to get into it? what should by my compressors? media? blaster gun? tnx guys..

Posted : 17/09/2013 11:33 pm
rosy
 rosy
(@rosy)

Re: sandblasting 101

Hi there reddydeleon,

Hi and welcome to PHM Forum !!! To answer your query, I don't recall sandblasting ever been discussed here in the forum though a member purchased two sandblaster guns before but never really discussed its merits.

Maybe first you could do some self research on the net, goggle it and find out its requirements plus perhaps watch some YouTube videos , I am sure there are. :rolleyes:

But then, let's just wait for other members to chime in on the topic, they might know something about this process but just did not gave it a chance to be discussed. 🙁

A LITTLE OT HERE !!!

Can you please introduce yourself here in the forum ! If you will scroll down the PHM index page, just right below the GAZEBO Forum is the Member Introductions, you see bro we encourage newly registered member/s to introduce themselves in the forum. PLEASE so share some information about yourself, your hobbies or interest and perhaps a location where you are coming from etc. Though nothing really that's too personal for you. We'd like to know you better as a new member here !!

THANKS,

rosy

CIGWELD Weldskill 250 amp Mig Welder
AHP Alpha-TIG 200X welder
HITRONIC 300 Amp DC Inverter IGBT Welder
YAMATO 300 amp AC Stick Welder
YAMATO 200 amp DC Inverter IGBT Welder
DeWALT Chopsaw
HOBART and ESAB Welding Helmets
cloned STIHLs
MS 044 chainsaw
MS 070 chainsaw

Posted : 18/09/2013 12:41 am
(@balarila)
Noble Member

Welcome to the forum, Reddy. As Rosy said, we'd like to know more about you.

What would you use sandblasting for?

I only have a glancing knowledge of it because I deal with steel pipe manufacturers who sandblast pipes before spraying epoxy lining. It's a very messy and hazardous process. You will need an enclosed space (or open space without neighbors) and full protective clothing. Think spaceman!

Posted : 18/09/2013 6:39 am
amboy
(@amboy)
Reputable Member

Not unless he buys one of those sandblasting enclosure (I don't know what it's called). I saw one at great volume in t. Alonzo in binondo. They might probably have sandblasting gun and medium available also. I recall though that in one of bro jayl's post he has a gravity fed sandblasting gun onstock I think. Hope this helps 🙂

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4

Posted : 18/09/2013 7:40 am
(@reddydeleon)
Topic starter

tnx guys.. im from malabon.. been an observer here in my hometown,as know naman tong lugar namin lagi na lng binabaha... and the level of oxidation is very abundant.. to speak from myself im a hobbist, madami po kseng nauuso d2 sa amin... we are into japanese bike restoration since 2000, and proud to say na nasa malabon ang magagandang japanese bikes .. in these hobby involves a lot of shinny part starting from repainting and buffing stainless steel acssesories... and im one who restores their decals, i own a decals shop... i just think of sandblasting is very comfortable way from other hobbist to start their project... been tru lot of reading regarding this service..and all says that my biggest investment would be a good and large horsepower compressors... we just build a blasting cabinet(diy) , bought my siphon gun..and still waiting for the shippment of 4hp powercraft compressor.. to be short i think im almost complete.. and im very much excited to blast my first subject.. i joined this forum to seek advice from other whom into this service..im planning to blast metal frames, aluminum and glass.. as stating about sandblasting is capable.. tnx..

Posted : 18/09/2013 8:53 pm
rosy
 rosy
(@rosy)

Hi there reddy,

Can you please re post your recent post reply in the Member Introductions and leave your thread more for discussions concerning your query !!

Thanks bro

rosy

DeWALT Chopsaw
cloned STIHLs
MS 044 chainsaw
MS 070 chainsaw

Posted : 18/09/2013 9:35 pm
(@balarila)
Noble Member

Good luck on sandblasting, Reddy. That seems like like new territory in this forum

I am from Malabon, too. Lived in Longos and went to Tonsuya Elementary School.

I know hat you mean about oxidation. My family used to repair and repaint our car every year due to corrosion. Hindi pa kasi uso nung araw ang rust protection .

Posted : 18/09/2013 10:52 pm
(@reddydeleon)
Topic starter

tnx sir balarila.. sana po this october maumpisan ko na! to update ive just finish my shop electrical wiring.. mga sir ok na po ba yung guage 10 na wire from the main post to my 4hp air compressor?

Posted : 19/09/2013 9:50 pm
rosy
 rosy
(@rosy)

YUP bro that will do just fine, tamang tama ang laking wire mo and that gauge 10 can surely supply electricity to other power tools without any over heating of the wires. 😉 :studsmatta:

DeWALT Chopsaw
cloned STIHLs
MS 044 chainsaw
MS 070 chainsaw

Posted : 19/09/2013 9:57 pm
(@reddydeleon)
Topic starter

tnx sir.. with 60 ampere breaker...muntik nko mag guage 8..

Posted : 19/09/2013 10:18 pm
rosy
 rosy
(@rosy)

HEHEHEHE, Sobrang overkill na yan gauge 8 stranded, it can supply already electricity to a whole house !!!

DeWALT Chopsaw
cloned STIHLs
MS 044 chainsaw
MS 070 chainsaw

Posted : 19/09/2013 10:27 pm
JayL
 JayL
(@jayl)

Welcome to the forum bro.

When you can't bring the work to the blasting cabinet then this tool will work fine.

Zendex Speedblaster

A 3 HP 60 Gal compressor is good enough to drive the above blasting gun.

If I was to think about serious sand blasting then I would get a compressor not smaller than a 5 HP 60 or 80 Gal double stage @ 175 PSI. The other factor to think hard about is how to keep the air dry. Moisture will wreck havoc on sand blasting as the media tends to cake .

Millermatic 180 Autoset Mig Welder
Miller Spoolmate 100 Spool Gun
Victor Firepower 350 Oxy Ace Outfit
3M Speedglas 9002X AD Helmet
Makita LC1230 Dry Cut Saw
Ingersoll Rand Air Tools
Snap On Tools
Metabo Power Tools
Norseman Drill Cutting Tools
Bosch Power Tools
3M PPS

Posted : 19/09/2013 11:04 pm
(@willyfernando)
Prominent Member

The main breaker supplying the distribution lines at 60 Amps should be able to handle the entire load that it carries. Connecting the 4HP compressor to the main breaker directly is not advisable. Though the wire or line won't overheat, it won't cut-off or trip either due to the over capacity of the breaker rating over the load. My estimate for a 4HP motor more or less consumes about 24 Amps so it should pass through a smaller branch of about 20 Amps for it to be able to trip power just in case over current happens, say the motor overheats or seizes or the fan belt accidentally jams. The wire may exhibit a slight increase in temperature but at least it should be slightly warm to touch and safe enough to operate. Correct me if I am wrong about the exact rating figures but you get the principle behind it.:)

Adding to what JayL said about dry air, the blasting media is sensitive to moisture so a modest Air and Water separator can help if you can't afford an Air Dryer.;)

Posted : 19/09/2013 11:47 pm
(@joe833a)
Eminent Member

Hi guys,
I just wanted to add my 2 cents here on sand blasting. In Canada I had a 35 gallon pr minute shop compressor with a 7 1/2 hp motor. I could sandblast small parts, but not enough air for doing panels or rims etc. I also had a 150 cfm tow behind compressor with a 1 " discharge line. It worked fine for most jobs I had. What it boils down to is what you plan on doing, because a small 4 hp unit won't do much at all. Good for a nail gun and filling tires etc. I have a 2.5 hp compressor here and it won't even run with a plasma cutter. I do think the glass work will work out fine, because of the small nature of your projects. Sorry if I am throwing poor news your way, but this is my personal experience. Best of luck.

Posted : 20/09/2013 1:31 pm
(@reddydeleon)
Topic starter

nice blaster sir jayl.. mukhang mamahalin... tnx sir willy for the advice.. sir joe plans ko pa naman po mgblast ng mga frames? should nozzle sizes make diffrence or more tank capacity? i order a powercraft 4hp with 145-175 psi as stated on the brochure with 150 lit tank..

Posted : 23/09/2013 10:58 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: