Yamato DC 200A Inveter Welder in Action

298 Posts
39 Users
0 Reactions
(@joey81)

Re: Yamato DC 200A Inveter Welder in Action

Another transplanted post:

All four corners welded

I lost track of time. Stopped at nearly 11PM, half expecting the neighbors to file a complaint against me.

Now that I've experienced the wrong way of doing it, its time to backread rosy's posts.
BTW this will be the elevated platform for our washing machine.

Posted : 11/06/2012 12:36 pm
(@joey81)

Actually natapos ko na yung project last week pa. These are post-mortem posts.

Fashioned braces from angle bar scraps:

Welded

Need to study how to control/avoid/minimize warping:

Posted : 11/06/2012 12:42 pm
(@joey81)

Cut open the corners with a grinder and gave it a whack of the hammer in strategic locations (sorry, no pic).

Spot welded the legs to the corners

Side view of how not to do it:

I think I have the amp setting too low. The welding rod melts and the bead builds up, but not penetrating the workpiece.

Front view (can't remember why its wet)

Posted : 11/06/2012 12:59 pm
(@joey81)

Decided to close the hole that I burned through earlier. This gives an idea how big the hole is:

First pass:

Sorry, we're closed!

After grinding

There is still a small hole but that's fine. I don't think the washing machine will fall through it.

Posted : 11/06/2012 1:07 pm
(@joey81)

Next phase.

I don't have the tap to make the threads. I'll just weld the nut to the legs.

This is a gamble. Using the plastic leveler to hold the nut in place while I weld

That turned out well. Slight melting of the plastic, but negligible.

Before I forget what settings I used. I think I used the 6013 rod.

Posted : 11/06/2012 1:14 pm
(@joey81)

Some more spot welds:

Oops!

Just ground off the damaged portion of the thread

Posted : 11/06/2012 1:23 pm
(@joey81)

Spot welded one side. Tried to weave on the other. Need to work on my aim.

Spot welds only:

All welding works done. The stand gets a coat of epoxy primer along with my roof deck

I don't really need a leveler. But I need to protect the tiles from the metal, and the metal from being soaked in water. This plastic leveler does both.

Posted : 11/06/2012 1:33 pm
(@joey81)

Delivered!

Those concrete paver blocks used to be the stand.

BTW, we collect the waste water from the washing machine and use it for flushing the toilets.

Posted : 11/06/2012 1:38 pm
JayL
 JayL
(@jayl)
Topic starter

Decided to close the hole that I burned through earlier. This gives an idea how big the hole is:

First pass:

Sorry, we're closed!

After grinding

There is still a small hole but that's fine. I don't think the washing machine will fall through it.

For hole patching using a mig there is no need for cleanup. Probably for stick it would be worth to clean the slag before each "zaw zaw". Nice work bro.

Millermatic 180 Autoset Mig Welder
Miller Spoolmate 100 Spool Gun
Victor Firepower 350 Oxy Ace Outfit
3M Speedglas 9002X AD Helmet
Makita LC1230 Dry Cut Saw
Ingersoll Rand Air Tools
Snap On Tools
Metabo Power Tools
Norseman Drill Cutting Tools
Bosch Power Tools
3M PPS

Posted : 11/06/2012 2:20 pm
rosy
 rosy
(@rosy)

Spot welded one side. Tried to weave on the other. Need to work on my aim.

Spot welds only:

bro JOEY81,

OK you did fairly well with your first metal project, but I would like to say somethings about your welds and ampere setting. Fine you used a 6013 welding rod but your amperage setting is to high for your angle bars that is why you are experiencing burn holes, you could have maintained a 100 amp, 110 amp or 120 amp. 😉

With regards to the welds on the pics above, you could have applied a continuous spot welds on top of each other or a stitch weld and be able to close the joints and then you can grind the welds for cleaner appearance after chipping off the slags.

Maybe next time with your second project, adjust your ampere setting little by little 'til you find the right amperage and also know first the thickness of your metal to be welded. :rolleyes:

CIGWELD Weldskill 250 amp Mig Welder
AHP Alpha-TIG 200X welder
HITRONIC 300 Amp DC Inverter IGBT Welder
YAMATO 300 amp AC Stick Welder
YAMATO 200 amp DC Inverter IGBT Welder
DeWALT Chopsaw
HOBART and ESAB Welding Helmets
cloned STIHLs
MS 044 chainsaw
MS 070 chainsaw

Posted : 11/06/2012 5:35 pm
(@jonathanscruz68)
Noble Member

brad joey81, kakaingit ka may 1st metalworking project ka na...
actually ganyan din gagawin ko eh...washing machine stand, the fact is i'm waiting for your finished project para may gagayahin ako,
nakaprepare na ang materials ko, pati na rin mga safety gears, gaya ng cheap welding gloves, and a number of consumables like grinders of various thickness, at pati na rin flap disc....
pending muna ang metal projects, because of the bunkbed project.
all i can say is...go go go lang, and have fun!!!

Posted : 11/06/2012 10:31 pm
(@joey81)

bro JOEY81,

OK you did fairly well with your first metal project, but I would like to say somethings about your welds and ampere setting. Fine you used a 6013 welding rod but your amperage setting is to high for your angle bars that is why you are experiencing burn holes, you could have maintained a 100 amp, 110 amp or 120 amp. 😉

With regards to the welds on the pics above, you could have applied a continuous spot welds on top of each other or a stitch weld and be able to close the joints and then you can grind the welds for cleaner appearance after chipping off the slags.

Maybe next time with your second project, adjust your ampere setting little by little 'til you find the right amperage and also know first the thickness of your metal to be welded. :rolleyes:

Salamat, sa walang sawang pagbibigay ng tips, bro rosy!

I promise I'll do better in the next project. But that's not happening anytime soon. My DC welder never got back home from Bulacan. I showed it to my Bayaw for him to try out. The response was: "I'll give the payment when I my loan is released" 😀

Posted : 18/06/2012 8:47 am
(@joey81)

brad joey81, kakaingit ka may 1st metalworking project ka na...
actually ganyan din gagawin ko eh...washing machine stand, the fact is i'm waiting for your finished project para may gagayahin ako,
nakaprepare na ang materials ko, pati na rin mga safety gears, gaya ng cheap welding gloves, and a number of consumables like grinders of various thickness, at pati na rin flap disc....
pending muna ang metal projects, because of the bunkbed project.
all i can say is...go go go lang, and have fun!!!

Thanks jon! Feel free to copy it, hindi naman patented 'yan. 😀

I guess you already started your metal working WIP. I see the bunk bed is already done. Your turn!

:go::go::go:

Posted : 18/06/2012 9:14 am
JayL
 JayL
(@jayl)
Topic starter

Metal time ......

Millermatic 180 Autoset Mig Welder
Miller Spoolmate 100 Spool Gun
Victor Firepower 350 Oxy Ace Outfit
3M Speedglas 9002X AD Helmet
Makita LC1230 Dry Cut Saw
Ingersoll Rand Air Tools
Snap On Tools
Metabo Power Tools
Norseman Drill Cutting Tools
Bosch Power Tools
3M PPS

Posted : 19/06/2012 6:04 pm
rosy
 rosy
(@rosy)

OK, for this thread, I was able to finish two very simple metal projects, though very useful for me, using this Yamato DC weld machine, the first metal project is a lowly dust pan with a touch of art, all materials were from scrap or recycled metals., and the second one is the, I just don't know how to call it, maybe an electrode holder stand or hanger, well what ever, made from stainless steel pipes, flat and round bars and its table clamp is made from some MS flat bars and some bolts, well again with a little touch of art.

I"ll start first with the lowly DUST PAN :

Worked on the scrap 1.6mm thin sheet metals, cut to shape and welded the edges/joints but also to be able to assemble the sides, I have to apply some rivets.

Then was able to apply continuous welds on the top edge using some 3/32" E6013 welding rods at 90 amperes, but have to do some multiple passes to thicken the welds and not able to burn some holes on the thin sheet metals. Attached also the pipe handle and grinded the welds.

CIGWELD Weldskill 250 amp Mig Welder
AHP Alpha-TIG 200X welder
HITRONIC 300 Amp DC Inverter IGBT Welder
YAMATO 300 amp AC Stick Welder
YAMATO 200 amp DC Inverter IGBT Welder
DeWALT Chopsaw
HOBART and ESAB Welding Helmets
cloned STIHLs
MS 044 chainsaw
MS 070 chainsaw

Posted : 19/06/2012 11:31 pm
Page 4 / 20