Bosch GMR1 or Makita RP0900

12 Posts
6 Users
0 Reactions
 tris
(@tris)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Im planning to get my first router and I would like to get your opinion which is better the Bosch GMR1 or Makita RP0900. I know the GMR1 is a trimmer and the RP0900 is a plunge. the RP0900 is more powerful vs GMR1 but GMR1 has a higher RPM. Cost wise it is almost the same. TIA

Posted : 06/04/2011 8:02 pm
 tris
(@tris)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Re: Bosch GMR1 or Makita RP0900

or better yet, you may recommend other better option.

Posted : 06/04/2011 8:04 pm
(@beedigo)
Estimable Member

I'm not an expert, but I would recommend this, if you have the means;

http://www.amazon.com/Triton-MOF001C-4-Horsepower-Precision-Router/dp/B000DINFHY/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1302097268&sr=1-1

I know some members would agree.;)

Posted : 06/04/2011 9:45 pm
(@joey81)

Both are low power routers. Best suited for trimming, but underpowered for general-purpose routing.

I haven't seen either of them. If I were you I'd go for the Makita. Its almost twice as powerful as the GMR1 and I trust the brand name better. But that is assuming you'll only be doing trimming.

If you need an all-around router, I'd agree with beedigo. 😎

Posted : 06/04/2011 10:49 pm
 tris
(@tris)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I'm looking at the triton and its look really good. but i think the price will be out of my budget. and is it available locally or I have to ship it from the US? are they 220V compatible with our current. Thanks.

Posted : 07/04/2011 10:55 am
JayL
 JayL
(@jayl)

I'm looking at the triton and its look really good. but i think the price will be out of my budget. and is it available locally or I have to ship it from the US? are they 220V compatible with our current. Thanks.

Those Tritons are 110V. They would work here but you will need a step down voltage transformer ( 220 to 110V )

Millermatic 180 Autoset Mig Welder
Miller Spoolmate 100 Spool Gun
Victor Firepower 350 Oxy Ace Outfit
3M Speedglas 9002X AD Helmet
Makita LC1230 Dry Cut Saw
Ingersoll Rand Air Tools
Snap On Tools
Metabo Power Tools
Norseman Drill Cutting Tools
Bosch Power Tools
3M PPS

Posted : 07/04/2011 11:43 am
 owyn
(@owyn)
Estimable Member

The GMR1 is marketed as a laminate trimmer, not a router- and that's a very accurate description. It's very good at that. On non-taxing jobs like side treatment- what it is designed for- it's got plenty of power. And it's small/handy that you can use it with one hand if need be, very maneouvre-able also. A few overseas folks felt it vibrated too much and it smoothed out when slowed down a tick (their version has speed control and i got a variac to do that.) Before buying, timb help me test it out and a maktec felt rougher (noise and vibration) but a trimmer makita ( model n007?) felt smoother.

..But it's not a "router" as much as the makita RP0900 ain't a trimmer. (You could rout dadoes in several passes but it'll never have the depth of the plunger Mak.) This review for your perusal: http://www.patwarner.com/pr20_subbase.html

Does the makita have quill lock, and is that lock very positive? (I've never used that.) There are times when i wish i have a plunger so i can make mortises...

It's really a toss-coin between the two, both are good. ( Both are good in different ways however.) For my purposes, the GMR1 suits me ( i like making small things.) My humble two cents is, i'll steer you to the more versatile RP0900, specs-wise. (Have not tested or seen the unit, just judging from online specs.)

Posted : 07/04/2011 12:36 pm
timber715
(@timber715)

Im planning to get my first router and I would like to get your opinion which is better the Bosch GMR1 or Makita RP0900. I know the GMR1 is a trimmer and the RP0900 is a plunge. the RP0900 is more powerful vs GMR1 but GMR1 has a higher RPM. Cost wise it is almost the same. TIA

let me first ask what you intend to use a trimmer or router for? then what is your budget?
a Festool router is nice to have, but the price is exuberantly high, a maktec trimmer seems cheap but might not be able to do what you intend it for... suggestions are aplenty, but unless we know what you need it for, they tend to be useless.... I

click my signature and it will take you there........

Posted : 08/04/2011 12:30 am
 tris
(@tris)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

let me first ask what you intend to use a trimmer or router for? then what is your budget?
a Festool router is nice to have, but the price is exuberantly high, a maktec trimmer seems cheap but might not be able to do what you intend it for... suggestions are aplenty, but unless we know what you need it for, they tend to be useless.... I

I intend to use it for DIY and Hobby, not for any heavy duty use. I just starting with this hobby and im planning to build my first workbench, A mutli-purpose workbench with drawers & cabinet.

May be i'll be needing a versatile one, because it will be my only trimmer or router. may budget is around 6-7k

Posted : 08/04/2011 8:21 am
timber715
(@timber715)

in that case try asking around for a Maktec router (there is only one model), I believe it should fit your budget to a tee. plus it should have the power and versatility you seek. It will also allow a 1/2 and 1/4" shank bit which opens yourself to a lot of router bits.
Though I am aware that Skil will be coming out with one, I still haven't tried or seen one, thus don't know the price range as well.

Posted : 08/04/2011 10:44 am
 tris
(@tris)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

thanks for the advise I'll take a look at Maktec router. Where can I find the shop selling this Maktec router the cheapest.

Posted : 08/04/2011 11:14 am
timber715
(@timber715)

I found the cheapest at ACE hardware before since they were clearing their stocks back then (that was 3 years ago). You can try Nationwide hardware along Dasmarinas st in Binondo. it is just across Mayon...

Posted : 08/04/2011 11:27 am
Share: