110 VOLTS SUPPLY

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Reactions
JayL
 JayL
(@jayl)
Topic starter

Hello everybody. Its been a while since I made a last post.

I need some advises and hope you could help.

I purchased most of my power tool needs ( woodworking and metal ) from Craftsman. These would arrive in a months time and will all be in 110 volts.

I need to have a good source of 110 volts in my workshop. How do I go about this? Would it be better to contact Meralco and have them install it or do they even do this kind of service.

I also joined the garagejournal.com forum and had been with them for a month or two. They had given tremendous advises and help in my purchasing of tools for my automotive needs. Probably somebody will need the same advises so I'm posting it here for future reference.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Millermatic 180 Autoset Mig Welder
Miller Spoolmate 100 Spool Gun
Victor Firepower 350 Oxy Ace Outfit
3M Speedglas 9002X AD Helmet
Makita LC1230 Dry Cut Saw
Ingersoll Rand Air Tools
Snap On Tools
Metabo Power Tools
Norseman Drill Cutting Tools
Bosch Power Tools
3M PPS

Posted : 03/07/2008 9:11 am
bbn
 bbn
(@bbn)
Prominent Member

Re: 110 VOLTS SUPPLY

Best is to ask Meralco. If your Meralco service is one of their newer installations then you may just be in luck and getting 110v will be easy. Otherwise, you can do as I do and run your tools, ONE A TIME, from the largest stepdown transformer you can find.

Posted : 03/07/2008 11:01 am
JayL
 JayL
(@jayl)
Topic starter

Hello Incc63 , punctual as always.

Thanks for your quick reply. I will do as you suggested.

None the less I have a 1.5 KVA Stac Stabilizer and just hope that it can run one tool at a time.

Can I just not take one live wire from the outlet and use a wire connected to a burried pipe as ground to get 110V?

Ingersoll Rand Air Tools
Snap On Tools
Metabo Power Tools
Bosch Power Tools
3M PPS

Posted : 03/07/2008 11:42 am
JayL
 JayL
(@jayl)
Topic starter

I just called Meralco. They said that they had phased out 110V service a long time ago. Looks like I will need a transformer to run the 110 volt tools. Any recommendations on step down transformers and where to find good deals? Price ranges if any?

Ingersoll Rand Air Tools
Snap On Tools
Metabo Power Tools
Bosch Power Tools
3M PPS

Posted : 03/07/2008 1:20 pm
bbn
 bbn
(@bbn)
Prominent Member

Hmmm ... have you seen the thread here that talked about Meralco's 3-wire service? My understanding from that thread is that Meralco is actually putting it back in, and that a 3-wire service will provide 110v.

Sorry JayL, I've not bought a transformer in a long time. I know they can cost as much as power tool though.

Posted : 09/07/2008 12:38 pm
(@Anonymous)

The newer installations will have three wire service from the post to the meter and down to a ground rod near the meter which Meralco will require. This is required by Meralco. However, Meralco doesn't encourage people to put in 110 volt service because there is a chance that this will unbalance their service.

The proper way of getting 110 volt service is to get the ground from the Meralco post, as this ground goes all the way to the post transformers. The service is properly 110-0-110 volts. If your house has this kind of service, an electrician will probably be able to give you 110 volts.

When Meralco said that I would have 3 wire service into my meter, I purposely had a third wire go from my meter into the breaker box, and a third wire to all my outlets. I did this mostly for safety, to have all my appliances that should be grounded like aircons, refs, etc. to have a proper grounding. But this also allows me to have 110 volt service from all my outlets, given the proper connection to the plug.

Posted : 15/07/2008 4:50 pm
(@evilclown)
Eminent Member

when operating appliances/tools/gadgets needing 110 volt power supply i use my old computer's avr. This avr has one 110 power output. Serves me a lot.

Posted : 22/08/2008 4:12 pm
(@raptor30)

actually meralco supplies us with 230 volts AC not 220. line to line or 115 volts line to ground

if you get one line from meralco and one line from ground, you'll have 115 volts supply.

it is not adviseable to use PC AVRs for power tools simply because most AVRs comes with 500 watts capacity only.
most power tools ranges from 500 watts and above

Posted : 12/03/2009 7:05 pm
joey
 joey
(@joey)
Estimable Member

actually meralco supplies us with 230 volts AC not 220. line to line or 115 volts line to ground

if you get one line from meralco and one line from ground, you'll have 115 volts supply.

it is not adviseable to use PC AVRs for power tools simply because most AVRs comes with 500 watts capacity only.
most power tools ranges from 500 watts and above

i agree with you. i used this setup for i have a lot of 120volts appliances. regarding avr most computer avr do not give you a 500watts rating, instead a little less than that. if youe power tools is rated @ 750watts you should at least have a 1000watts avr. imho.

Posted : 13/03/2009 9:26 am
Share: