Help!: Makita 9902 Belt Sander Frame Repair

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Reactions
Blackbriar75
(@blackbriar75)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Any suggestions for repairing the broken frame of a 9902 Belt Sander? It got dropped from 30 inches high bench and landed on its front rollers.

My first repair option is to drill 1/4" on both broken ends and insert a cut off bolt and apply steel epoxy... any better ideas for it?

Posted : 01/02/2012 12:01 am
JayL
 JayL
(@jayl)

Re: Help!: Makita 9902 Belt Sander Frame Repair

If it was me I'd choose only JB Weld product on the epoxy part usage. If I would cold weld it then I'd probably look at beveling the sides as well if applicable. I'd also think of drilling holes on both parts and insert supporting pins prior to attaching and cold welding.

Is the replacement spare part not available at Makita? I doubt if repairs will hold out for long if it supports a moving part. Hope all works out well.

Millermatic 180 Autoset Mig Welder
Miller Spoolmate 100 Spool Gun
Victor Firepower 350 Oxy Ace Outfit
3M Speedglas 9002X AD Helmet
Makita LC1230 Dry Cut Saw
Ingersoll Rand Air Tools
Snap On Tools
Metabo Power Tools
Norseman Drill Cutting Tools
Bosch Power Tools
3M PPS

Posted : 01/02/2012 12:09 am
timber715
(@timber715)

first, please reduce picture sizes to 640x480 pixels...
then you can visit Mayon and see if they have a replacement part from a non working or salvaged unit. I don't thing any epoxy will look on that. seem your only way out is a replacement part brand new or used...

click my signature and it will take you there........

Posted : 01/02/2012 12:18 am
violaine
(@violaine)
Noble Member

nakow! "pundido" pala ang metal housing ng sander na yan...

parang mahirap i epoxy steel yung area..too deep and needs perfect alignment...and cleaning the excess epoxy could be a real pain in the !$%#.

but you can try cold weld it...it'll be a real scary event to start it up! make sure you wear face mask! jaja

when all else fail (i think it will...) head to Mayon...not to buy the same but to get an upgrade...get their heavy built belt sander instead..they have two models in fact...and i am eyeing either one.

:poke:

The devil will find work for idle hands to do.-Morrissey

Posted : 01/02/2012 4:04 am
(@balarila)
Noble Member

when all else fail (i think it will...) head to Mayon...not to buy the same but to get an upgrade...get their heavy built belt sander instead..they have two models in fact...and i am eyeing either one.

:poke:

Or get aRyobi or Ozito. Next time you break it, not too painful to the pocket.:D

Really, now. Was it dropped or did it catapult itself after power up (with switch left on)? 😉

I have an Ozito and, so far, happy with it. Flung a few times from my workbench to the floor and still ok. I use belt sanders for rough sanding, anyway (80 grit) so cheapos work for me. I just follow it up with a palm sander for finer sanding.

Posted : 01/02/2012 5:28 am
rosy
 rosy
(@rosy)

Even though these RYOBIs or OZITOs belt sanders are cheap compared to this top notch brand tools, they still do the same functions, not all known top notch brands produce top notch power tools, they too have batches of lemons in their stocks. Well whether its the cheapos or the expensive ones, I guess one has to care for ones tool or tools so that they last long amids unforseen accidents. 😮

Bro Ding I believe I too have the same OZITO belt sander that you have which I saw in our last EB in your place, though it hasn't seen much action for wood but I do use it to de-rust large flat metals or large angle bars and even though its a cheapo, it does do its function well and am happy and satisfied with it. Purchased mine from Pyth last year. 🙂 😉

CIGWELD Weldskill 250 amp Mig Welder
AHP Alpha-TIG 200X welder
HITRONIC 300 Amp DC Inverter IGBT Welder
YAMATO 300 amp AC Stick Welder
YAMATO 200 amp DC Inverter IGBT Welder
DeWALT Chopsaw
HOBART and ESAB Welding Helmets
cloned STIHLs
MS 044 chainsaw
MS 070 chainsaw

Posted : 01/02/2012 9:16 am
Blackbriar75
(@blackbriar75)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Or get aRyobi or Ozito. Next time you break it, not too painful to the pocket.:D

Really, now. Was it dropped or did it catapult itself after power up (with switch left on)? 😉

I have an Ozito and, so far, happy with it. Flung a few times from my workbench to the floor and still ok. I use belt sanders for rough sanding, anyway (80 grit) so cheapos work for me. I just follow it up with a palm sander for finer sanding.

I wish I knew how it happened. I went out of the shop to fetch my son from school, when I came back this is the news I get!

As I was told, somebody left the tool plugged and while other guys where preparing for an installation moving scaffoldings it got snagged. But I suspect the same scenario as you do...

Been calling some distributors here in Iloilo, so far they have new units but no replacement parts abailable...:(

Posted : 01/02/2012 12:10 pm
Share: