Inside a Metabo GE700 Die Grinder

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Reactions
JayL
 JayL
(@jayl)
Topic starter

Quite some time ago I saw an ebay auction for a Metabo GE-700 die grinder. For several months I've been trying to find one and luck had it that there was a new one available. Buy it now ... new other .... for around $130 shipped.

Not a bad price considering that a new one cost around $270.

http://www.amazon.com/Metabo-GE700-606303420-3-Inch-Grinder/dp/B0013SSVJK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375534558&sr=8-1&keywords=metabo+ge700

I emailed the seller and asked his reason for selling. He told me he purchased the grinder online. Fired it once but have not used it. He however found the sound not much to his liking thus he's selling it back. I checked his status ... not a tool dealer thus I decided to purchase it.

True enough the grinder arrived in pristine condition. Brand spanking new and not a scratch. Complete with box, manuals & accessories.

I fired the grinder and yes the sound was a bit raspy more so when it's positioned with it's left side pointing the ground. Nothing really serious but could be annoying to certain people.

A few days ago the grinder saw a lot of duty doing carbide grinding on motorcycle bobbin hooks I've been fabricating.

I finished the grinding jobs. This time the grinder noise had been noticeably abnormal ... far from the other sweet sounding Metabo power tool motors that I have. I knew something was up.

When the wips were completed I decided to do something about the noise and opened up the grinder.

Diagram

Parts List ( all available if needed but would take 30 to 45 days to receive )

Millermatic 180 Autoset Mig Welder
Miller Spoolmate 100 Spool Gun
Victor Firepower 350 Oxy Ace Outfit
3M Speedglas 9002X AD Helmet
Makita LC1230 Dry Cut Saw
Ingersoll Rand Air Tools
Snap On Tools
Metabo Power Tools
Norseman Drill Cutting Tools
Bosch Power Tools
3M PPS

Posted : 03/08/2013 10:25 pm
JayL
 JayL
(@jayl)
Topic starter

Re: Inside a Metabo GE700 Die Grinder

Dis assembled the grinder ... well made tool ... and parts were of high quality. I took the chance to snoop at the innards of the grinder except for the spindle head assembly which I did not open anymore because I knew the problem was not there.

Variable speed electronics ... this portion I really like from Metabo ... very responsive and the motors does exactly what the controller says.

Beefy carbon brushes

Ingersoll Rand Air Tools
Snap On Tools
Metabo Power Tools
Bosch Power Tools
3M PPS

Posted : 03/08/2013 10:26 pm
JayL
 JayL
(@jayl)
Topic starter

Now here's where the issue started. There is a slight play on the Field Coil assembly. Not much but enough to scratch a portion of the fan somewhere on it's connection to the Armature.

The round black thing on the pic is the wind baffle ... aside from it's main job it also serves to secure the Field Coil Assembly when the grinder is fully assembled. The legs are a tad short thus the play in the field coil causing it to hit the fan housing. This explains why the noise is only when the grinder is laying on it's left side.

I think now this tool is a lemon. Manufacturers do encounter this issue and even big name brands suffer from this. Nothings perfect.

The baffle part cost only $1.14 and I would sure order it and a few other spare parts such as carbon brushes and the carrier ( part no. 41 @ $1.14 each ). The carrier is a connector which connects the spindle clutch to the armature clutch. This grinder has two clutches. This carrier part is made of hard plastic and not aluminum. It is designed to break once the tool exceeds it rated torque specification thus protecting the motor from damage.

For now I decided to DIY. Two O rings can settle this play problem and have the grinder operational while waiting for parts.

Here the o rings are installed. Once assembled that field coil will get secured and would even get extra vibration damping from the rubber o rings

Ingersoll Rand Air Tools
Snap On Tools
Metabo Power Tools
Bosch Power Tools
3M PPS

Posted : 03/08/2013 10:26 pm
JayL
 JayL
(@jayl)
Topic starter

Done deal. The grinder now sounds like the well built power tool it is supposed to be.

Carbide burrs are great ... faster , more precise cutting and longer lasting than using stones for metal die grinding.

Get your Ingersoll Rand carbide burrs set loot now while still available.

Ingersoll Rand Air Tools
Snap On Tools
Metabo Power Tools
Bosch Power Tools
3M PPS

Posted : 03/08/2013 10:27 pm
rosy
 rosy
(@rosy)

Get your Ingersoll Rand carbide burrs set loot now while still available.

-------------------------------------------------------

Bro JayL, can you PM me please price of that Ingersoll Rand carbide burrs set ( 6 pcs ).

Thanks in advance !! :thanks:

CIGWELD Weldskill 250 amp Mig Welder
AHP Alpha-TIG 200X welder
HITRONIC 300 Amp DC Inverter IGBT Welder
YAMATO 300 amp AC Stick Welder
YAMATO 200 amp DC Inverter IGBT Welder
DeWALT Chopsaw
HOBART and ESAB Welding Helmets
cloned STIHLs
MS 044 chainsaw
MS 070 chainsaw

Posted : 04/08/2013 1:02 am
JayL
 JayL
(@jayl)
Topic starter

This O Ring Kit is good to have on the shop ... lots of uses that can save the day.

http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-Pro-Grade-419-Piece-Universal-Assortment/dp/B0030AA3YA/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1375560694&sr=1-1&keywords=neiko+o+ring+set

Ingersoll Rand Air Tools
Snap On Tools
Metabo Power Tools
Bosch Power Tools
3M PPS

Posted : 04/08/2013 4:11 am
bugel
(@bugel)
Noble Member

Mapang akit..kahalihalina..kaayaaya...bugel bili kana..
Nababagalan ka sa grinding stone?
Carbide burr ang solusyon..lol:D

Waiting mode..

JAY Deal of the day..:bounceD:

Posted : 04/08/2013 7:05 am
(@joe833a)
Eminent Member

Hi Jay,
I have a few Metabo tools also. A very big angle grinder I've used for over 30 yrs, one of their first cordless drills, and I bought a small 4 inch angle grinder here. All their tools have served me very well with no problems at all. They sure do make a good dependable tool. Also the company will verify that its an genuine tool if you mail them the serial number on the tool. All tools are registered, so the consumer is guaranteed of a quality product.

Posted : 04/08/2013 3:08 pm
JayL
 JayL
(@jayl)
Topic starter

Hi Jay,
I have a few Metabo tools also. A very big angle grinder I've used for over 30 yrs, one of their first cordless drills, and I bought a small 4 inch angle grinder here. All their tools have served me very well with no problems at all. They sure do make a good dependable tool. Also the company will verify that its an genuine tool if you mail them the serial number on the tool. All tools are registered, so the consumer is guaranteed of a quality product.

Hello Bro,

Yes I agree with you. Metabo Tools are top notch quality. Spare parts for US Models are also very easy to procure.

For locally distributed Metabos I believe Elektrowerk supports these.

Ingersoll Rand Air Tools
Snap On Tools
Metabo Power Tools
Bosch Power Tools
3M PPS

Posted : 04/08/2013 3:23 pm