96 Posts
10 Users
0 Reactions
 moji
(@moji)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Re: 135gal aquarium

madali nalang yun...i love sketchup! makes creating 3d models quick and easy..

Posted : 01/07/2010 1:53 am
timber715
(@timber715)

madali nalang yun...i love sketchup! makes creating 3d models quick and easy..

oo nga, sometimes I wish woodworking is as easy as drawing in sketchup... :p:p:p

click my signature and it will take you there........

Posted : 01/07/2010 1:54 am
bbn
 bbn
(@bbn)
Prominent Member

That is similar to what I did however I have four posts of plywood which each span the width of the aquarium. Watch out for voids ("bungi") in the plywood particularly in those beams. My beams were very similar. In retrospect, I would add or instead use solid lumber for the beams.

Yeah marine aquariums are more challenging but they're a lot more colorful.

Posted : 01/07/2010 5:42 am
(@beebeenator)
Noble Member

didi you guys self learn the google sketch up? i suck at reading instructions so i never got to learn sketch up properly... hahahah

Posted : 01/07/2010 7:41 am
(@mudhutdesigns)
Estimable Member

didi you guys self learn the google sketch up? i suck at reading instructions so i never got to learn sketch up properly... hahahah

Madali lang sya sir. I learned GSU without reading anything. May mga tutorials sa youtube na rin sir. so kahit wala kang binabasa you can just follow along the video. 🙂

Posted : 01/07/2010 10:42 am
bbn
 bbn
(@bbn)
Prominent Member

The best way to learn is to have something to make. Like Bee I don't like reading manuals. I must admit though that I have read a few tutorials for things I could not figure out myself like drawing a curved surface.

It is easy Bee. Sketchup is one of the most intuitive programs I've ever seen.

Posted : 01/07/2010 12:39 pm
bbn
 bbn
(@bbn)
Prominent Member

I happened to find an old photo of the last aquarium I made.

I think this was when it was a few months or weeks old.

Posted : 01/07/2010 1:21 pm
(@beebeenator)
Noble Member

wow

It held the weight?, Was the platforom/bed a torsion type?

here is my 5 gallon before... it is over grown now.. but healthy parin.. Low light setting 12 hours and no co2 and pitiful fertlizers

and here is my 20 gallons in its best days.... its now only half of its old glory which i hope to revive. it also has the same regimen as the other

no water changes for 6 months... 🙂

Posted : 01/07/2010 2:19 pm
timber715
(@timber715)

Edward would love those plant pictures bee...

Posted : 01/07/2010 2:24 pm
 moji
(@moji)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Bbn,

Wow, im amazed that plywood was able to hold the weight of those two aquariums..I guess mine is really overdesigned. Your tanks look real nice..is it still up and running?

Bee,

Ganda ng planted tank mo! Makes me want to set up a planted tank after this hehe..

Where do you buy your driftwood? What substrate do you use?

Posted : 01/07/2010 3:53 pm
bbn
 bbn
(@bbn)
Prominent Member

That's a very beautiful tank Bee. I was about to get into those and even joined a Yahoo group but never quite got around to it. Balanced tanks are great to shoot for - wide variety, little maintenance.

Honestly, I don't know that a "torsion type" is.

Posted : 01/07/2010 4:15 pm
(@beebeenator)
Noble Member

THanks guys

Sad to say its been neglected for TOO long

Its a two part driftwood epoxied to look like a tree. my SECOND project after my 2 x 2 scrap made workbench (now acts as miter saw station stand, and dovetail jig stand and paint item drawer carcass)

the substrate is GEX. but the substrate does NOTHING for the plants i used. All of them get nutrients from the water column and not the substrate hehehe...

Thanks Timber. Edward can have them if he wishes 🙂

i just made a knife handle in less than 2 hours... well small buck knife.

Posted : 01/07/2010 7:59 pm
(@beebeenator)
Noble Member

bbn

try searching torsion box... its a cost effective way of making a really rigid top that is wide and long of needed.... but time consuming. Lightweight is the main advantage.

Posted : 01/07/2010 8:17 pm
 moji
(@moji)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Got some work done today,

Got to use the kreg a lot today. Correctly i must say 😉

Finished the base frame and got the top frame started.

In using the kreg jig with the original and locally bought screws, the originals are way better in fastening than the locally available ones. The local screws were a bit frustrating because they were weaker than the originals. I broke a few screws inside the pocket holes using too much torque, but in lessening the tourque i found it did not pull the pieces together as tightly as the originals.

After experimenting, i use the originals to hold the piece with glue and when the glue sets i replace them with the locally bought screws. More time but works great.

Posted : 01/07/2010 8:39 pm
timber715
(@timber715)

Kreg really excels when it comes to framing... so much easier and very durable. I'm sure the work time for the stand is cut in half due to it... 😉

Posted : 02/07/2010 2:10 am
Page 2 / 7
Share: