110v or cordless

10 Posts
5 Users
0 Reactions
denber
(@denber)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hi everyone. Just want to ask your expert opinion about purchasing some tools for occasional DIYer like me. Occasional dahil I'm an ofw and magagamit ko lang mga tools ko when I'm on vacation for a couple of months every year and I try to finish as many project as I can.
Napapadpad ako minsan sa US, so is it wise to invest in 110v power tools that are not readily available sa pinas? And if meron man ang mahal ng presyo. I mean like for example the Porter Cable 9690LR(150usd) router or Makita RT0701C(100usd), I dont think I can afford those kind of routers pag sa pinas na market na. I do have a 220/110v AVR na ginagamit ko for my makita 110v compound miter saw that I bought from Japan last time.
Or go Makita cordless system. I can buy the tool hindi availble or common sa pinas and mahal, sa ibang bansa and I dont have to worry about the power supply since common lahat ng battery ng makita sa tool line up nila, I'll just buy the charger sa pinas para 220v na which is available naman sa mga shops sa pinas. Down side is, this route is a bit expensive. A 4.0Ah LXT battery is almost same price sa entry level makita corded tool sa pinas.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Dahil sa plano minsan I'm a sensible person pero pag nakapasok na sa mga home improvemnt store lalo na sa mga power tools and woodworking section nawawala na ako sa katinuan.
TIA

Posted : 08/09/2018 5:24 pm
(@prokopyo)

if you are only home occasionally like say a month or so in a year, i will suggest you go for the powered or corded tools. i myself go home a month in a year and all my battery tools seem to loose their power everytime i go home. lithium ion batteries need to be maintained all the time making sure they don't get depleted for so long. regular charging if ever they get discharged being on the shelf for sometime is necessary because this type of battery doesn't like to be empty. lithium ion batteries are not cheap either. but if you have somebody who can look after them while you are away then you may keep them. in my case, i am the only one who use them therefore maintenance is not done the proper way on my cordless tools.

Posted : 19/09/2018 6:26 pm
denber
(@denber)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

if you are only home occasionally like say a month or so in a year, i will suggest you go for the powered or corded tools. i myself go home a month in a year and all my battery tools seem to loose their power everytime i go home. lithium ion batteries need to be maintained all the time making sure they don't get depleted for so long. regular charging if ever they get discharged being on the shelf for sometime is necessary because this type of battery doesn't like to be empty. lithium ion batteries are not cheap either. but if you have somebody who can look after them while you are away then you may keep them. in my case, i am the only one who use them therefore maintenance is not done the proper way on my cordless tools.

Maintaining the battery is also one of my concerns. I have to remind my wife to charge the batteries of my bosch cordless drill drivers every couple of months. And if mag dagdag na naman ako ng mga batteries for the makita lxt line then mas maraming batteries na ipapa maintain ko sa kanya when ever wala ako sa bahay.
I guess 110v corded tools suits me better.

Posted : 22/09/2018 3:34 am
(@etmarbella101)

I, too will go for corded tools, mapipili mo ang capacity ng tools na gusto mo. Hassle is yung kable at pag nawalan ng koryente. I had this experienced lately. Nag uwi ako ng mga Makita lithium cordless tools. Ang problema po, nagamit ng karpentero. Not knowing yung limits at safety features ng lithium batts, uminit ang mga batteries, nag self discharge yung batts, di na nila magamit. Mabuti na lang po marunong ako ng electronics, replaced na yung chip board sa batteries, with moded chip from China. Mas handy ang mga cordless, mahal nga lang, gives out same power on a limited usage.

Posted : 26/09/2018 3:40 am
(@addieboy)

just to chime in, i got a makita 18v combination drill and impact driver (brushless) from US for $220 (sale sa amazon) with 2 x 5ah batteries! yes, downside nya is 110v ang charger but i have a spare transformer naman so no problem. hehehe. locally, the 5ah batteries is already more than 6k.

yah, i agree na if branded tools, dapat ikaw lang gagamit. if karpentero or others, i never lent out my premium tools.

Posted : 05/10/2018 6:25 pm
denber
(@denber)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

just to chime in, i got a makita 18v combination drill and impact driver (brushless) from US for $220 (sale sa amazon) with 2 x 5ah batteries! yes, downside nya is 110v ang charger but i have a spare transformer naman so no problem. hehehe. locally, the 5ah batteries is already more than 6k.

yah, i agree na if branded tools, dapat ikaw lang gagamit. if karpentero or others, i never lent out my premium tools.

220usd for that set is a good deal na. I dont mind the 110v what I'm particular is the frequency. Ok lang 50hz if variable speed but if hindi variable speed and 50hz na tool then its a no-no for me.
Our ship will be docking at Norfolk next week. Checked the home depot site. Nakakapag laway ang lxt 18v ng makita. Yung cordless router($129) and yung combo ng drill driver/impact driver with 2pcs 4.0Ah batt ($279). Tinignan ko sa mga fb site sa pinas and compare sa price, it would cost me mga 27k at 3.0Ah lang ang batteries. Though may kasamang 74pcs na bits di ko rin naman magagamit ang iba dun.

Dagdag pa hirap sa pag decide ang Woodcraft store di kalayuan sa home depot which is a store specifically for woodworking and have some stuffs not found at home depot. Like for example the Incra precision tools, micro jig stuff, whiteside bits, iba-ibang klase ng mga Porter-Cable tools and jigs. Not to mention Festool tools and sawstop table saw which is btw out of my league :).

Posted : 06/10/2018 4:44 am
(@etmarbella101)

To sir addieboy, I was able to convert my 2 each DC18RA Makita chargers to 220v. Nasa internet lang po yung schematic, parts info, very common electronic parts dyan Lalo na sa CDR King. Ive been using the moded chargers since Feb18. Enjoy your Makita tools.

Posted : 10/10/2018 5:08 am
denber
(@denber)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

To sir addieboy, I was able to convert my 2 each DC18RA Makita chargers to 220v. Nasa internet lang po yung schematic, parts info, very common electronic parts dyan Lalo na sa CDR King. Ive been using the moded chargers since Feb18. Enjoy your Makita tools.

In order for a person to mod the RA or RC charger you have to know your way around electronics as the system is using a switching method and not just a common transformer na pwede mo lang palitan oks na. I'm a Marine Electro-techinical officer I can handle how to mod this charger and available naman online mga conversion kit but since meron na akong mga malalaking AVR at malilit nga mga transformer di ko na gagalawin muna hehehe.

BTW I pulled the trigger on the the makita BL cordless drill driver, impact driver and router. Planning to build my tools around this platform and since may fuel gauge naman ang batteries unlike sa mga bosch ko na cordless, mas madali ko ma monitor or ni misis ang battery condition kahit wala ako sa pinas.

Posted : 14/10/2018 10:02 pm
(@addieboy)

Thanks. I think I also read that blog but the new charges are DC18RC so it's a little different. When the red transformer (the heavy one for japan 100/110v), there was no problem charging the batts. Actually my plan B is just to buy that 220v charger if this one fails, at about 3k locally. hehehe.

Actually for 5AH, my batt is still at full LEDs and Im using the other one for the LXT vacuum cleaner, occassionally dusting the floor and kitchen. (the vacuum is a very good deal here at 2,300 without battery). So thats another great thing to have 5ah batts.

Yes, Im quite familiar with electronics, used to assemble car audio systems (the AN214 and booster era hahaha) but lately when I opened the TV to replace some burnt stuffs, I decided not to tinker with these anymore, afraid that it will be a fire hazard esp with a kid coming. hehehe

To denber, that's great! Makita LXT is really nice and light. I have the RYOBI 18V system but it looks so "surplusy" here. The makita drivers are significantly lighter too. 🙂

Posted : 25/10/2018 7:52 am
(@Anonymous)

In my opinion, battery tools are the best and most convenient. Recently on this source I chose a great impact driver and plan to start repairing the attic. I've already checked the power and operation. I think that the recommendations from the article will be useful to many who want to buy a quality tool.

Posted : 20/12/2018 4:56 pm
Share: