Bosch 4100-09 Tablesaw, seven now and waiting for crazyboi

314 Posts
31 Users
0 Reactions
JayL
 JayL
(@jayl)

Re: Bosch 4100-09 Tablesaw, five and very alive

Currently selling at $500 (amazon) plus maybe about $100 for for the door-to-door forwarder.

About 26K petot. 🙁

If without the Gravity Rise Stand then watch out as it goes down to around $399 when on sale.

Millermatic 180 Autoset Mig Welder
Miller Spoolmate 100 Spool Gun
Victor Firepower 350 Oxy Ace Outfit
3M Speedglas 9002X AD Helmet
Makita LC1230 Dry Cut Saw
Ingersoll Rand Air Tools
Snap On Tools
Metabo Power Tools
Norseman Drill Cutting Tools
Bosch Power Tools
3M PPS

Posted : 01/06/2011 11:21 am
chisel
(@chisel)
Reputable Member

Guys Check this out.
http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/view+classifieds/id/3618235/selling+bosch+table+saw

Posted : 01/06/2011 8:02 pm
JayL
 JayL
(@jayl)

Guys Check this out.
http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/view+classifieds/id/3618235/selling+bosch+table+saw

Complete pala yun accessories. Slightly used so gamit ang blade.

Anyway at 20K parang medyo mahal pa when you can just add a bit more and import a 4100. Brand New pa.

Ingersoll Rand Air Tools
Snap On Tools
Metabo Power Tools
Bosch Power Tools
3M PPS

Posted : 01/06/2011 8:21 pm
(@jonathanscruz68)
Noble Member

bosch 4100 is my dream ts, :sleep1:

kahit wala yung grvity rise, i can live without it...:chop:

i really hate my ts...:giveup:

pagdating ng araw bili ako nyang 4100...:springsmile:

ipon ipon para sa 4100, daming gastos, school days are coming pa...

Posted : 01/06/2011 10:11 pm
(@balarila)
Noble Member

If without the Gravity Rise Stand then watch out as it goes down to around $399 when on sale.

Just reviewed my purchase. Got mine (without stand) for $399.99 but, since I had it delivered to my cargo forwarder who is in CA, and CA has this new tax law, I was taxed $39. Add to that the $110 cargo forwarder's shipping charge. So total to my doorstep after 4.5 weeks: $548.99.

At today's FX rate, that's a little less than PHP24k.

One of my best tool investments.
Posted via PHM Mobile

Posted : 01/06/2011 10:39 pm
 guad
(@guad)
Honorable Member

I plugged the 4100 into 220 V by mistake @#$%^&*()!!!.

What happened was I took the saw to a new work area and forgot that a transformer was needed. I know that novel situation and having a lot on mind is no excuse. No one else involved, who should have known better, noticed either. Did maybe half a dozen 8 ft rip cuts in 3/4" plywood before calling it a day.

At the time, I noticed some things unusual: On startup, there was a strange sound, like a momentary click. Then, at speed, it sounded a bit more quiet than I thought it used to be, as if underpowered. But it cut the plywood well anyway. It was connected to a power strip and the built-in 10 A circuit breaker on the strip kept on tripping. We kept on resetting it @#$%^&*()!!!. Since the label on the saw said 15 A, I had the bright idea to replace the power strip with a 13 A extension cord instead @#$%^&*()!!!. Then the machine stopped dying and I completed the remaining cuts.

Later, I realized in horror that the saw had been running on 220 V. And I had missed or ignored all the signs (including repeated tripping of breaker on power strip) that something was not right. Even if the voltage had been correct, I should be shot for using a 10 A power strip.

Now, when plugged into 120 V, the saw has been working OK and sounding normal so far. What are the emoticons for big relief, gratitude, contrition, and fingers crossed.

I e-mailed Bosch customer service (US) and they replied: If saw is still running, I should consider myself 'very lucky'. But only way to to know if there was any damage is to have 'reputable repair shop' test both the armature and field coil in the motor. If soft start still works (which seems to be the case) instead of jumping to full speed, it means the circuit board is OK.

I asked, is it really luck or is there overvoltage protection (up to at least 220 V of overvoltage)? Rep answered no, there is no overvoltage protection.

So, anyone familiar with universal motors? If that is what this is, as opposed to induction or synchronous. Can't remember ever studying electric motors, but if I did, I have long forgotten the subject. Does this behavior make sense?
-- that it will not only run, but run quieter or sound underpowered at 220 V, no smoke, sparks, or explosion
-- that a 120 V 15 A universal motor, if powered by 220 V, will trip a 10 A fuse/breaker (assuming constant power, which is just an assumption, I would have thought that the current would be cut in half to about 7.5 A)
-- that it will work normally when restored to 120 V and appear to be undamaged

Or could the Bosch rep be mistaken; that it really has overvoltage protection?

Anyway, several lessons learned, hard way. I thought I would never make these mistakes. I put big bright '120 V' sign/tag on the saw and power cord now. I hope this is a useful reminder for all that have 120 V equipment.

If ever 4100 needs repair, I hope Bosch PH service center can accomodate. Something to consider/look into, for those already with one, or thinking about future purchase.

Posted : 08/06/2011 9:27 am
(@bryant77)
Reputable Member

@ Guad,

Tagging on power cord & outlet with "120V" sign is useful but it's not fool proof. Better change the plug of & socket for your table saw.

Something like this http://www.mcmaster.com/#about-nema-style-receptacles/=cngd3j

It will cost you only around P1K to 2K, compare to the cost of repair our valuable tools.

Question to Bosch 4100 users?

Is this machine is rated 120V only? Is there a unit suited for Phils with 220V rating? No need for a step down transformer.

Posted : 08/06/2011 10:15 am
(@balarila)
Noble Member

As far as I know (checking the docs) it;s only 120V.

Guad, I guess I was justifiable paranoid with my 4100. Built a stand where a stepdown is lodged. Onto my 4100 plug is a flat-to-round adaptor, wrapped in electrical tape. The stepdown (actually an AVR) has both flat and round prong sockets so I taped shut the flat socket. My 4100 is always plugged onto the round 110V socket.

I have some other 110V equipment coming up. For those, I got a 5000W stepdown. My next project is to attach a bank of round-prog sockets to that stepdown, then put flat-to-round adaptors on all 110V tools, also wrapped in electrical tape.

On your "accident", I am puzzled as well. Current rating is a factor of the resistance the load offers to the voltage applied to it. So (at the risk of oversimplifying) applying Ohm's Law, I would assume the 15A rating is because the TS has a resistance of about 7 Ohms. If you passed 220V into it, the current should double at 30A since the 7 Ohm resistance does not change. That is why the 10A breaker kept tripping. Your motor should then run twice as fast and, if its capacity to withstand heat or mechanical spin is surpassed, would burn out or mechanically fail.

I can't understand why it would run quieter. Perhaps the higher frequency made it emit lower noise?

Posted : 08/06/2011 8:57 pm
violaine
(@violaine)
Noble Member

"Built a stand where a stepdown is lodged."

i still havent bolted the saw to the stand..perhaps why its rambling?

havent turned the saw upside down yet and inspect, clean and oil whatever needs to be oiled.

anu ba suggested periodic maintenance service ng 4100?

maybe one fine day.

The devil will find work for idle hands to do.-Morrissey

Posted : 08/06/2011 10:32 pm
(@balarila)
Noble Member

havent turned the saw upside down yet and inspect, clean and oil whatever needs to be oiled.
anu ba suggested periodic maintenance service ng 4100?

Downloaded the manual which contains suggested maintenance in pp84-86. Most are fairly standard cleanups but p86 contains lubrication:

Lubrication
The gear case has been completely lubricated at the factory.
However, after six months to one year, depending upon use, it’s
wise to return your tool to the nearest Service Center for the
following:
• Brushes replaced.
• Parts cleaned and inspected.
• Relubricated with fresh lubricant.
• Electrical system tested.
• All repairs.
The following parts should be oiled occasionally with SAE No. 20 or
No. 30 oil, or WD 40 (Fig. 74).
1. Elevation, support rods, and gears.
2. Sliding rails and supports.
3. Table locking cams (Front & Rear).

Posted : 09/06/2011 1:14 am
violaine
(@violaine)
Noble Member

thanks for finding time to post the recommended periodic maintenance...that is how useful bosch user manual is...others are garbage..

my 4100 is just past 1 year but i dont think it needs the pms yet.

or simply lazy...:old:

The devil will find work for idle hands to do.-Morrissey

Posted : 09/06/2011 4:48 pm
JayL
 JayL
(@jayl)

Routine Maintenance

New blade

Ingersoll Rand Air Tools
Snap On Tools
Metabo Power Tools
Bosch Power Tools
3M PPS

Posted : 06/10/2011 4:20 pm
timber715
(@timber715)
Topic starter

a new 4100 now belongs to Beedigo, congrats brader.... post some pics na.... in use (not during pero may dust) para safe...:fartysmile1f:

click my signature and it will take you there........

Posted : 25/01/2012 12:34 pm
(@djorgh)

Re: Bosch 4100-09 Tablesaw, six and counting (still 2 more in the background)

Greetings to everyone.

I'm new to woodworking. I too am very much interested in the bosch 4100 series of table saw. I would like to know if there are any tax expense to import the said equipment.

Posted : 12/02/2012 12:08 am
(@balarila)
Noble Member

Re: Bosch 4100-09 Tablesaw, six and counting (still 2 more in the background)

Greetings to everyone.

I'm new to woodworking. I too am very much interested in the bosch 4100 series of table saw. I would like to know if there are any tax expense to import the said equipment.

I had mine shipped by Forex Cargo for $175, all in.

Posted : 12/02/2012 6:30 am
Page 15 / 21
Share: