timber715
(@timber715)
Topic starter

Bosch GEX 125-1 AE random orbital sander:

Sanding plate diameter 125mm
Oscillating circuit diameter 2.5mm
No Load speed 7500-12000rpm
Rated power input 250 W

- Compact, ergonomic design with three softgrip surfaces for variable grip positions and outstanding convenience
- Bosch Micro-filter system: perfect, efficient dust extraction
- Speed preselection for work suited to the material
- Low-vibration and quiet - Sanding plate brake prevents damage (e.g. scoring) on workpiece
- Random orbit motion plus rotation ensure the finest sanding with high sanding performance
- Velcro-type fastening for rapid, convenient sanding sheet changes

I needed to remove the lines caused by my previous finishing sander (makita)...

after 5 or less minutes...

click my signature and it will take you there........

Posted : 10/03/2010 12:10 am
timber715
(@timber715)
Topic starter

Re: Bosch GEX 125-1 AE random orbital sander review

the dust in the filter after the initial sanding...

didn't want to put a good dust to waste, it could be used as a wood filler later on just in case.

my findings:
the Bosch soft grip has always been better than the Makita's, the variable speed is great for improved control and reducing noise (which is minimal already at full speed compared to Makita). the filtration system is superb, very little dust was left in the work surface. the power is there when needed. can't see anything negative about the tool except that it includes only one sandpaper and a vacuum adapter w/c is included in the US version is not included here.
oh, and the sandpaper attaches via Velcro which is more expensive compared to the finishing models. overall, I give it two thumbs up for performance and ergonomics. pricewise, it is great value for money...

Posted : 10/03/2010 12:11 am
(@beebeenator)
Noble Member

how much is the market price lately for the ROS?

Posted : 15/07/2010 6:37 pm
timber715
(@timber715)
Topic starter

I really love this sander and with the new pads (polishing bonnet and waxing pad)... I wouldn't be caught with another brand...

Posted : 15/07/2010 6:40 pm
JayL
 JayL
(@jayl)

I did'nt know that this tool can be used for polishing too.

Great post Timb.

Millermatic 180 Autoset Mig Welder
Miller Spoolmate 100 Spool Gun
Victor Firepower 350 Oxy Ace Outfit
3M Speedglas 9002X AD Helmet
Makita LC1230 Dry Cut Saw
Ingersoll Rand Air Tools
Snap On Tools
Metabo Power Tools
Norseman Drill Cutting Tools
Bosch Power Tools
3M PPS

Posted : 15/07/2010 8:24 pm
 moji
(@moji)
Prominent Member

/QUOTE]

The polishing power of the ROS is like a stronger version of hand rubbing. I like this because you won't burn thru the finish as fast as a full powered polisher. It may take longer though..

Timb,

Are your pads oversized? I still haven't found a replacement pad for my ROS. Can't use it tuloy..

Posted : 15/07/2010 9:52 pm
timber715
(@timber715)
Topic starter

Golden might have the replacement already. bring it over when you can and leave it with me or Bosch (whichever is more convenient) and I'll make sure it reaches Golden. he did say he had the replacement pads but not sure if it is for the new model or the older ones.... :p

Posted : 15/07/2010 9:59 pm
timber715
(@timber715)
Topic starter

/QUOTE]

The polishing power of the ROS is like a stronger version of hand rubbing. I like this because you won't burn thru the finish as fast as a full powered polisher. It may take longer though..

Timb,

not this sander, it is pretty fast at full speed and very gentle at low speeds. with the wrong grit, getting to the wood is easy :rolleyes:. you just have to know what to use... :p plenty power, this one 🙂

Posted : 15/07/2010 10:02 pm
 moji
(@moji)
Prominent Member

Ah ok that's good. I'll try to pass your badminton court one of these days and bring the pad. How is yours connected to the ROS? Single screw in the middle? I think same size your's and mine at 125mm?

Posted : 15/07/2010 10:05 pm
 moji
(@moji)
Prominent Member

not this sander, it is pretty fast at full speed and very gentle at low speeds. with the wrong grit, getting to the wood is easy :rolleyes:. you just have to know what to use... :p plenty power, this one 🙂

Ah with sandpaper its a different story of course. What i meant was using it with a polishing pad.

Posted : 15/07/2010 10:09 pm
timber715
(@timber715)
Topic starter

Ah ok that's good. I'll try to pass your badminton court one of these days and bring the pad. How is yours connected to the ROS? Single screw in the middle? I think same size your's and mine at 125mm?

hehehe, I don't know. I never really checked yet. will check bukas, it's at the court. :p

Posted : 15/07/2010 10:10 pm
 moji
(@moji)
Prominent Member

hehehe, I don't know. I never really checked yet. will check bukas, it's at the court. :p

No prob. I do think its the same though..

Posted : 15/07/2010 10:13 pm
timber715
(@timber715)
Topic starter

well we did stumble across some Mirka Abranet sanding disc... bought a few to try out... around 45 pcs... lol
decided to try it out, but before I do I make sure the ROS is clean and dust free.

the I try it on a rough grained piece...

I used 150 grit and it gave some fantastic results. very smooth finish at 150 grit. I can't imagine how nice it would be at 240 grits.

this is after one minute or less of sanding.

now I am a very happy customer but, heed this warning. the abranet does expose the Velcro hooks to damage, a protector pad is advised. and other ROS with shorter Velcro hooks will make it slip a bit ( the Bosch ROS has long hooks).
and since I am using a Bosch ROS, the replacement disc would actually be cheaper than the abranet protector pads. which means, I'm good to go...
cheers

Posted : 22/08/2010 4:03 am
timber715
(@timber715)
Topic starter

it turns out I was wrong about the Mirka protector pads being cheaper than the Bosch ROS disc. Found a source of the Mirka protector pad and grab a hold of one. the bad thing was the only ones available are the 6" ones...

slightly bigger than what I need.

So I mounted it to the ROS and cut away the excess.

Posted : 29/08/2010 12:02 am
timber715
(@timber715)
Topic starter

obviously the next thing to look at is the holes do not line up for suction.
what I did is mount an original sandpaper and with a hole punch cut away to align with each other.

installed the modified protector pad to the ROS, now there are holes that align properly for dust extraction.

then installed a 150 grit abranet disc.

Posted : 29/08/2010 12:06 am
Page 1 / 3
Share: