Clear all

Craftsman 17542 Corded Fixed Base Router

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
(@saintmaker)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

A newbie question, hope you don't mind. My father brought me this router just wandering if I can mount this on a table.

Posted : 21/11/2010 2:03 pm
jarod
(@jarod)
Noble Member

Re: Craftsman 17542 Corded Fixed Base Router

Hi Saint,

Yes you may. That fixed based model could be mounted on the table just just like what is said on the net. However, I haven't found any router table insert that has pre-drilled holes for the Craftsman 17542 currently but do not fret as you can buy the blank plates and just drill it according to specs.

You may also try to email Incra, I believe someone here in the forums have requested a plate pre-drilled for a specific router. Who knows, they might just accommodate you at least you have a plate that is precisely drilled by the factory.

Hope this helps 🙂

For more of the latest tools, deals and tips - click HERE

Posted : 22/11/2010 1:30 am
(@saintmaker)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

This also comes with the router. I believe this is the universal plate for Craftsman routers.

Craftsman Professional Drop-In Router Mounting Adapter Plate for Router Table

Another question what is the difference between a plunger router and a fixed base router. Which is better to use in a router table.

Thanks,

Bong

Posted : 22/11/2010 11:08 am
jarod
(@jarod)
Noble Member

That's a good thing to have now so you won't have to buy one.

Plunge routers are like the fixed router except for the fact that they have a higher starting position before they plunge and be on the same level as if it's on a fixed base. The advantage of a higher starting point is if you need to do mortises on wood as you can just set it on position and then plunge. While it may be possible to do with fixed based, it is harder and dangerous.

I think a fixed based would do well in the table as it offers more stability. On the other hand, there are plunge routers that could be ideal on the table (Tritons) and some may even needed to remove the plunge springs to work on the table.

For more of the latest tools, deals and tips - click HERE

Posted : 22/11/2010 2:23 pm
(@saintmaker)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Great I was hesitant to open the box first. So I guess I can now start and mount the router. Next is to think of a good project.

Thank you very much.

Bong

Posted : 22/11/2010 3:42 pm
JayL
 JayL
(@jayl)

Looks like you will need to bore holes on the plate. IIRC Moji and Timber once drilled a Pinnacle phenolic plate to custom fit a router. Maybe they can give you sound advice on this.

Millermatic 180 Autoset Mig Welder
Miller Spoolmate 100 Spool Gun
Victor Firepower 350 Oxy Ace Outfit
3M Speedglas 9002X AD Helmet
Makita LC1230 Dry Cut Saw
Ingersoll Rand Air Tools
Snap On Tools
Metabo Power Tools
Norseman Drill Cutting Tools
Bosch Power Tools
3M PPS

Posted : 22/11/2010 5:15 pm
(@saintmaker)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

No wonder you know a lot about craftsman tools you got a truck load of it. Saw your automotive tools thead all craftsman tools. You're from Pasay right how about we meet one of these days. I sure can learn from the master.

Posted : 24/11/2010 5:27 pm
JayL
 JayL
(@jayl)

Yes I purchased some craftsman tools a while back. Some for woodworking too.

You're most welcome to visit my workshop.

Currently it's all automotive because I am gearing the shop to specialize in Engine and Automatic Transmission Overhauling.

Woodworking I'm not sure because I'm a novice on this as well. Planning to visit Timber at his UN wood shop but schedules had been tight and I missed the opportunities to learn from his past projects.

Jay

Millermatic 180 Autoset Mig Welder
Miller Spoolmate 100 Spool Gun
Victor Firepower 350 Oxy Ace Outfit
3M Speedglas 9002X AD Helmet
Makita LC1230 Dry Cut Saw
Ingersoll Rand Air Tools
Snap On Tools
Metabo Power Tools
Norseman Drill Cutting Tools
Bosch Power Tools
3M PPS