84 Posts
9 Users
0 Reactions
bbn
 bbn
(@bbn)
Prominent Member

Re: Makita 2012NB thicknesser

Congrats Timber. Like I said before, that was one of the first tools I really really wanted. Actually now that I think of it my thicknesser is probably one of the most used tools in my shop especially since I like buying big lumber (better quality). Jointer na lang kulang.

Posted : 31/03/2010 12:27 pm
timber715
(@timber715)
Topic starter

thanks Loius, I really wanted this for a very long time. buying wood here kasi is very frustrating and this is the cure... 🙂

click my signature and it will take you there........

Posted : 31/03/2010 12:49 pm
timber715
(@timber715)
Topic starter

well earlier today I decided I needed the hood for the thicknesser so debris can be directed in one direction.
Makita has the hood in stock, NOS yes new but seems to be a very old stock, but just as well I needed its function and not much the form, so I got it (might be the last stock though...)

and had it installed, bad thing is, it can only be directed one way to the right when viewing from the back.

wanted to thickness my current project's leg assembly...

Posted : 31/03/2010 11:24 pm
timber715
(@timber715)
Topic starter

one went in four came out... lol perfect and uniform sized...

then the stretchers...

all done...

Posted : 31/03/2010 11:25 pm
timber715
(@timber715)
Topic starter

when I wanted to but the item, I hardly know anything about it, I wanted to know as much but can't find information... I will try to share as much as I can.
once plugged, an indicator light lights up to remind you that the machine is powered.

the depth knob has an indicator dial that you can set to zero once the wood touches the level marker.

from there you can turn the knob counter-clockwise to adjust the depth of cut...

and the materials ejected resembles small chips, not much dust...

Posted : 31/03/2010 11:32 pm
JayL
 JayL
(@jayl)

Saves a lot of time.

Looks like the No. 7 plane will be taking a vacation. 🙂

Did you tune it up or it was right on the money out of the box?

Millermatic 180 Autoset Mig Welder
Miller Spoolmate 100 Spool Gun
Victor Firepower 350 Oxy Ace Outfit
3M Speedglas 9002X AD Helmet
Makita LC1230 Dry Cut Saw
Ingersoll Rand Air Tools
Snap On Tools
Metabo Power Tools
Norseman Drill Cutting Tools
Bosch Power Tools
3M PPS

Posted : 01/04/2010 1:59 am
timber715
(@timber715)
Topic starter

Saves a lot of time.

Looks like the No. 7 plane will be taking a vacation. 🙂

Did you tune it up or it was right on the money out of the box?

haven't the time to tweak it yet. but I will, I'm still getting a snipe of about 1/3 of a millimeter. not noticeable but I know its there...

Posted : 01/04/2010 2:06 am
violaine
(@violaine)
Noble Member

@ timber,

i just wish that dust port accessory isnt the last stock!hehe.

when i get mine, i am going to put it on a sled supported by heavy drawer glides under the workbench..ive got an ample space for that chip monster! lol

the makita engineers just thought it right to fix that dust port hood to the left..for right hand users...the diameter is 72mm? right?

The devil will find work for idle hands to do.-Morrissey

Posted : 01/04/2010 4:14 am
timber715
(@timber715)
Topic starter

@ timber,

i just wish that dust port accessory isnt the last stock!hehe.

when i get mine, i am going to put it on a sled supported by heavy drawer glides under the workbench..ive got an ample space for that chip monster! lol

the makita engineers just thought it right to fix that dust port hood to the left..for right hand users...the diameter is 72mm? right?

yup, that is correct Doc... btw, just a small warning. don't come over to buy it without a car or get a cab before getting it out of the store. made that mistake thinking I can manage it home.... Darn thing weighs a LOT! I can carry it but only for two meters, after that I have to stop, not that I'm old or anything... 🙂

Posted : 01/04/2010 11:25 am
JayL
 JayL
(@jayl)

I sense at least 2 or 3 more members on the pipeline for this product because of this review.

Come to think about it this tool will really solve a lot a problems caused by f the kind of wood stock we usually get here.

I put it at number 4 on my wish list too only because I'm bogged down by metal works now. Otherwise it would be number 1.

Ingersoll Rand Air Tools
Snap On Tools
Metabo Power Tools
Bosch Power Tools
3M PPS

Posted : 01/04/2010 2:06 pm
bbn
 bbn
(@bbn)
Prominent Member

Darn thing weighs a LOT! I can carry it but only for two meters, after that I have to stop, not that I'm old or anything... 🙂

My Ryobi thicknesser is the same ... but i can probably do 2.1 meters :).

Posted : 01/04/2010 2:33 pm
JayL
 JayL
(@jayl)

Pls post some pics too.

Ingersoll Rand Air Tools
Snap On Tools
Metabo Power Tools
Bosch Power Tools
3M PPS

Posted : 01/04/2010 2:51 pm
timber715
(@timber715)
Topic starter

My Ryobi thicknesser is the same ... but i can probably do 2.1 meters :).

to be honest, I have heavily considered getting that ryobi thicknesser since people from the US sites have good results from it. but I really cannot find what makes it tick and why I should consider one. maybe if you can make your own review, others could consider it too. I have considered also getting a Jet, but just the same no reviews nor anything about it. the Makita gets good praises all the time, hence it was my choice because of it.

Posted : 01/04/2010 4:13 pm
bbn
 bbn
(@bbn)
Prominent Member

A review? I don't consider myself qualified, and mine is probably an older model. Also, my demands are not very high being quite happy just being able to get sun dried S2S wood looking like S4S wood, or my favorite scrap crate wood looking not so much like scrap.

The truth is I've only now heard the terms "snipe" and "tearout" just now and had to look them up .. still not sure what tearout is.

I do konw that planning problems can be minimized by not over setting the depth of cut and learning to read the grain. Unfortunately, a lot of the new wood are from not so tall trees with grain swerving this way and that as if they were grown with some alcohol beverage. The best way I've found to deal with drunk grain is to be patient. Another way, if you are like me who is not patient often enough, is to make allowances for snipe and tearout. Cut deep at a first then fine as you near the target thickness.

I'll try to take pictures tomorrow. I can everyone that aside from the weight what I dislike most is the use of plastic gears in the elevation mechanism.

Posted : 01/04/2010 9:31 pm
timber715
(@timber715)
Topic starter

hehehe, well I found out that with a well tuned planer, snipe often occurs due to operator techniques. a good operator can avoid it with the proper approach... will post details when I can...

Posted : 01/04/2010 9:53 pm
Page 2 / 6
Share: