Re: Makita 2012NB thicknesser

I didnt know a latero can make something that accurate WOW

Posted : 06/01/2011 9:06 pm
timber715
(@timber715)
Topic starter

I didnt know a latero can make something that accurate WOW

our metal fabricators (latero :D) are indeed very good. My brother in law had one make a pajero from bare sheet metal, chassis supplied :D. No kidding 😉 he did make one very close to accurate, but missing the vital elements of safety that the engineers designed them for. They often needs space, bale every now and then and gin to keep their spirit happy... 😀

click my signature and it will take you there........

Posted : 06/01/2011 11:11 pm
timber715
(@timber715)
Topic starter

I had free time today to check the blades of my 2012NB since I am not happy with the results...
kaya pala, the blade is full of resin of wood...

a quick chemical dip and a little pass on the stone without a jig resulted to this...

and a little wound, when the new blade side cut through the rag I was using...
try it again...

results are now what I expected... cuts like new...

Posted : 13/01/2011 12:17 am
violaine
(@violaine)
Noble Member

sorry bro the chip collector is with me during the test drive...:p

The devil will find work for idle hands to do.-Morrissey

Posted : 13/01/2011 1:34 am
timber715
(@timber715)
Topic starter

sorry bro the chip collector is with me during the test drive...:p

no worry brader, been planning without it for a while already. but I do need it saturday kaya pumunta ka na sa eb 😀

Posted : 13/01/2011 1:39 am
violaine
(@violaine)
Noble Member

[HTML]How come this 2012NB Dust Hood has a black attachment included? Does it still need to be fabricated too?[/HTML]

that's the metal part of the whole accessory...huli na ginawa from a 1" angle bar..

Posted : 13/01/2011 7:00 am
violaine
(@violaine)
Noble Member

@timber,

my owners manual says i cant plane boards less then 5" because the grip rollers are placed 5" apart...

now when i examined the grip rollers, they are 12" long! did i get an old manual for a redesigned 2012NB? i assume having a full 12" length grip rollers will allow me to feed even an inch stock.

in 1998, Wood magazine came out with a review of 8 benchtop thicknessers and the makita came 2nd but...the 2012NB then was the only thicknesser that has a fixed motor..and before they end their story...they said a new model was coming...and guess what, they were referring to a "3012NB" and i dont know what happened to that model...to sport with a motor that is moving and a fixed support to which i believe is now the redesigned 2012NB.

can you check the grip rollers so we could compare? i havent fed a stock 5 inch or less so far and only tested a 9" x 14" plastic chopping board...yes...the chopping board looks new again!

:p

thanks

Posted : 06/03/2011 8:20 pm
timber715
(@timber715)
Topic starter

I believe what the manual meant is that you must not feed it with boards less than 5 1/2" LONG, as it will skip the rollers and will not give you an even cut since one side will always be floating. I hope that makes sense. I often plane boards Wider than 10" on it without issues but never less than 5 1/2 long...

Posted : 06/03/2011 8:33 pm
violaine
(@violaine)
Noble Member

@timber,

thanks bro...my manual got lost somewhere else and tomorrow if my health condition will permit i will brave to surface some salvaged 1/2" x 12" x 60" dark wood of unknown species...binaklas ko a long a time ago sa antique but termite infested eskaparate ng lola ko.

id be delighted to come to the christening of your new wb but there is always this big BUT.
:-[

Posted : 06/03/2011 9:20 pm
timber715
(@timber715)
Topic starter

id be delighted to come to the christening of your new wb but there is always this big BUT.
:-[

If we wait for that but, you will not come... I will sign you in para sure ka na... 😀

Posted : 06/03/2011 10:07 pm
violaine
(@violaine)
Noble Member

[HTML]If we wait for that but, you will not come... I will sign you in para sure ka na...[/HTML]

i guess that one pinned me down..hehe

olryt

Posted : 06/03/2011 10:10 pm
 guad
(@guad)
Honorable Member

Is there a planer blade or planer/blade combo (like Evolution saws) that can cut through embedded nails without getting damaged?

Posted : 09/03/2011 7:54 am
violaine
(@violaine)
Noble Member

have not heard of it yet.

better get a nail finder..how accurate is it btw? if metals/nails are found nearby, would it sound off?

Posted : 09/03/2011 7:59 am
 guad
(@guad)
Honorable Member

I would like to plane a lot of used lumber. The metal detector that I have (Garrett SuperWand) cannot seem to detect 100% of the nails, especially the ones that have broken off. It detects many, but not 100%. (As for range, recommended placement of probe is 2 inches from person/object.) Also, extracting the broken off nails is time-consuming.

I wonder how the big lumber yards deal with this problem, especially the ones that sell used lumber and offer planing service. Are their big equipment more resistant to nails. Or are their blades just accumulating more and more nicks/shatters over time from the nails that were missed during nail removal stage.

I should remember to ask this question next time at our local lumber store:

I recall some kind of planer blade where the blades are like octopus suction pads, but can't think of the name right now...

Posted : 09/03/2011 8:29 am
JayL
 JayL
(@jayl)

Hi Guad,

What planer are you using in the pic?

Probably for industrial use they use carbide tipped planer blades ....

Thanks

Millermatic 180 Autoset Mig Welder
Miller Spoolmate 100 Spool Gun
Victor Firepower 350 Oxy Ace Outfit
3M Speedglas 9002X AD Helmet
Makita LC1230 Dry Cut Saw
Ingersoll Rand Air Tools
Snap On Tools
Metabo Power Tools
Norseman Drill Cutting Tools
Bosch Power Tools
3M PPS