Makita 2012NB thicknesser

84 Posts
9 Users
0 Reactions
timber715
(@timber715)
Topic starter

Re: Makita 2012NB thicknesser

spiral cutter head I believe is the term you're looking for, there are several in the market including the new type named Byrd Spiral heads which uses square heads in spiral rows, made of carbide, these should resist nicks with small nails but does damage too. No planer blade I know yet is hard enough to cut nails without getting nicked....

click my signature and it will take you there........

Posted : 09/03/2011 12:01 pm
 guad
(@guad)
Honorable Member

The planer in the pic is not mine but a lumber store's here in the province. According to the nameplate, it is a King Wooma. The planer I am using is a Makita.

Yes, that's it, a Byrd Shelix with carbide 'tips', thanks for the memory jog. The tips are individually replaceable for a small fraction of the cost of a normal straight blade, but the cutter head with tips cost more than a planer!

Posted : 09/03/2011 9:20 pm
 guad
(@guad)
Honorable Member

I would like to plane a lot of used lumber. The metal detector that I have (Garrett SuperWand) cannot seem to detect 100% of the nails, especially the ones that have broken off. It detects many, but not 100%. (As for range, recommended placement of probe is 2 inches from person/object.) Also, extracting the broken off nails is time-consuming.

Correction, for the record: The detector is very good. But it has to be directly against (touching) the wood and in motion, i.e., sliding over the wood. Previously, I was just flying the probe about an inch or two over the wood.

This means that if the operator just flies the probe over you without touching your clothes, you could probably get through security with the nails, small weapons, etc. in your pockets.

Posted : 12/03/2011 10:14 am
 guad
(@guad)
Honorable Member

A slow ticking or clicking noise seems to have developed in my Makita 2012NB planer which can be heard as the machine winds down after being turned off. Has anyone heard this or have an idea what might be causing it?

Here is a short video with the sides removed. The ticking is not very loud but if one listens carefully, it can be heard everytime after the machine is turned off.
Left (chain) side: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6jonseZfg0
Right (belt) side: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JcR2TKMO5A

I can't think of anything unusual that may have triggered it other than blowing all the dust out with compressed air and cleaning/oiling the big screws, chain, and columns after it became hard to turn the crank, after planing several hundred feet of used lumber being restored. Also, I cannot be 100% sure that the ticking wasn't there from the beginning. Maybe I just noticed it now?

Web search for '2012NB ticking' or 'clicking' or 'clacking' didn't seem to turn up anything relevant.

Other than this, the machine works fine.

Posted : 24/05/2011 10:44 pm
jarod
(@jarod)
Noble Member

Not sure, but could you check if somehow some teeth from the sprockets are somewhat slipping from the chain during slack time(after turning the motor off).

For more of the latest tools, deals and tips - click HERE

Posted : 24/05/2011 11:15 pm
timber715
(@timber715)
Topic starter

Not sure, but could you check if somehow some teeth from the sprockets are somewhat slipping from the chain during slack time(after turning the motor off).

seems like a reasonable item to check. will check my thicknesser tomorrow and get back to you if I have the same clicking sound...

Posted : 24/05/2011 11:47 pm
timber715
(@timber715)
Topic starter

no clicking sound on my 2012NB Guad... hope you find what is making the sound....

Posted : 25/05/2011 11:15 pm
 guad
(@guad)
Honorable Member

Thanks, good suggestion, but I couldn't find anything wrong with chain. But the sound went away ... after cleaning the blades.

Had to clean blades because machine not cutting so well in the center after planing this much wood...

The blades were quite stained as in previously posted pic of timber715. To clean, I tried ... machine oil ... Simple Green ... Goo Gone ... paint thinner ... acetone. Only thing that seemed to work was acetone. After many passes with rag and acetone, finally looked like this:

May look good in above pics, but you can feel the difference between the unused edge and the used edge. Unused edge is scary sharp, can easily cut paper and skin. Used edge not as scary, has hard time cutting paper. Still, I will continue with used edge to see where limit is before switching to other edge.

Manual says do not sharpen blades. Why not?

Still, I could not get rid of the stains on the drum. I hope this does not affect performance:

Posted : 02/06/2011 11:24 pm
jarod
(@jarod)
Noble Member

Glad to hear the noise is gone. Also I heard that there are two blade models for the 2012NB one is disposable while one is re-sharpenable not sure if the manual is only referring to the disposable ones.

Sad thing is I cannot be of help to identify which is which, so better be safe than sorry. Either you use both sides first until became dull and ask the experts from mayon on the blade you currently use.

For more of the latest tools, deals and tips - click HERE

Posted : 03/06/2011 1:30 am
Page 6 / 6
Share: