17 Posts
4 Users
0 Reactions
bbn
 bbn
(@bbn)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

I'm a big fan of Makita ever since I tried one out many years ago. The difference in performance is definitely noticeable ... unfortunately so is that of the price tag. Be this as it may, there are instances when the difference is justified not only my by the superb feeling of knowing it is the best but more practically because you know it is worth it.

In the past 12 years or so since I got back into the DIY thing, I've consumed no less than 3 Black & Decker drills. I once tried to have the first one repaired but sorry to say at least back then the hassle B&D service center put me through (actually my wife) was not worth the effort. Makita I know has parts available everywhere. The three drills probably cost a total of about P10k. Factor in the cost of money (interest rates) would probably make that P10k something like P15k or even more.

So today, when I went to buy a new drill, really only intending to spend no more than P3k, I really did not hesitate when I found out the Makita HP1630 would only cost me 50% more.

The Makita 1650 is a 13mm 710w hammer drill with reverse. Sorry I don't remember the details but even comparing the specs of other drills the Makita is superior. This means that the extra 50% is not only just for the superb quality that Makita is well known for.

The sales fellow said there is a 7day replacement guarantee and a 6 month warranty. I'll be building a 20-foot long build platform for the new boat I'm starting with steel space frames for the girders tomorrow so the new drill will get a nice beating within the 7-day period. To be honest, I don't think I'd break it unless I took a sledge hammer to it.

Posted : 31/03/2010 12:47 pm
timber715
(@timber715)

Re: Makita HP1630

I think you are venturing into the deeper side of the tool pool :). good tools really cost so much or as they say, you get what you pay for... but I really think that buying good tools is cheaper long term.
welcome to the club, that is the start of your expensive choices.... hahahaha

click my signature and it will take you there........

Posted : 31/03/2010 1:03 pm
bbn
 bbn
(@bbn)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Thanks Bro for the welcome but I hope this one will suffice for my lifetime membership :).

This is what I'm building this weekend:

The length of the girders are really longer than necessary because I'm going to use them to expand my shop's roof once I'm finished building this boat. The plywood top will become selves or something.

Posted : 31/03/2010 1:45 pm
 guad
(@guad)
Honorable Member

The sales fellow said there is a 7day replacement guarantee and a 6 month warranty.

Supposedly, after the 6 month warranty of Makita, there is 'lifetime free service'. I assume this means that labor would be free on any kind of service or repair; I don't know if there are exceptions.

I don't know how the warranty or lifetime free service would work if you were in the provinces, and the local Makita authorized dealer there was not necessarily the dealer from whom you bought the tool.

Bosch also gives 6 month warranty, no? I don't think Bosch gives lifetime free service like Makita, does it.

Posted : 01/04/2010 10:24 am
bbn
 bbn
(@bbn)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Not much of a baptism but still its first cuts ...

Very very pleased with the drill's performance.

Posted : 01/04/2010 8:28 pm
JayL
 JayL
(@jayl)

Did you stick weld all those joints? What rod type did you use?

What do you use to cut your metal?

That's a Great build you have there. Well planned and executed.

Millermatic 180 Autoset Mig Welder
Miller Spoolmate 100 Spool Gun
Victor Firepower 350 Oxy Ace Outfit
3M Speedglas 9002X AD Helmet
Makita LC1230 Dry Cut Saw
Ingersoll Rand Air Tools
Snap On Tools
Metabo Power Tools
Norseman Drill Cutting Tools
Bosch Power Tools
3M PPS

Posted : 01/04/2010 9:59 pm
bbn
 bbn
(@bbn)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Nihonweld something? The truth is I did not do the welding. The wife, probably wanting to avoid having to massage my back afterwards, strongly suggested I hire a welder instead. I wanting to start cutting the wood for the new boat agreed. Also, I'm not really picky about what rods I buy though I always get Nihonweld and tell the hardware store people whatever is appropriate for the project at hand.

I did have to teach the welder how to balance the welds so they don't deform the structure as they cool, and how to "mass produce" the parts so he would not take too long. I did do the wooden legs.

No woodworking masterpiece here. It could have used some joinery but I figured I just design them so nails and Stikwell would do just fine.

Posted : 01/04/2010 10:13 pm
bbn
 bbn
(@bbn)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

You must have been editing JayL as I was typing.

We used a 14" GMC chop saw to do the cuts. Bought a new DeWalt disc last night at Handyman for something less than P300. I thought of buying Tyro(something) but I could not get my head around the P800 price tag. I should measure the wear on the DeWalt disc.

Posted : 01/04/2010 10:18 pm
timber715
(@timber715)

No woodworking masterpiece here. It could have used some joinery but I figured I just design them so nails and Stikwell would do just fine.

the difference is, we are hobbyist and have plenty time at our disposal and we can do them with special joints, you on the otherhand you have other priorities, the boat you are building should take the most of your concentration. kami we concentrate on the stands... hahahaha

click my signature and it will take you there........

Posted : 01/04/2010 10:23 pm
bbn
 bbn
(@bbn)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Now you got me thinking bro that I should have so I can use these for a worktable later. Funny observation though.

Posted : 01/04/2010 10:48 pm
JayL
 JayL
(@jayl)

How much time did it take to cut all the metal and weld it all together?

I wonder how much is the ongoing daily rate for a welder now.

tks

Millermatic 180 Autoset Mig Welder
Miller Spoolmate 100 Spool Gun
Victor Firepower 350 Oxy Ace Outfit
3M Speedglas 9002X AD Helmet
Makita LC1230 Dry Cut Saw
Ingersoll Rand Air Tools
Snap On Tools
Metabo Power Tools
Norseman Drill Cutting Tools
Bosch Power Tools
3M PPS

Posted : 01/04/2010 11:06 pm
bbn
 bbn
(@bbn)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

The welder took about 8 hours to do everything you see. The fellow is a pro but welding is no longer his bread and butter, usually he drives a tricycle. Hi rate is P350 a day but I paid him P400 and also fed him.

I'll definitely be using him again.

Posted : 02/04/2010 6:14 am
 guad
(@guad)
Honorable Member

How about the design of the girders for use as platform and future roof support, e.g., size of bars, height, spacing of verticals, use of full (instead of half) Xs on every section (instead of every other), etc. Any calculations done or rules of thumb used, or just 'intuitive'?

Posted : 02/04/2010 8:42 am
bbn
 bbn
(@bbn)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

I posted the question a few months ago but got no answers so I took to looking what others do, applied some of my own engineering sense to conjure them up. Nope, no calculations done. It is assembled though in a way that reinforcing the flanges making T"s instead of "L"s is possible .

Most of the time, beams are build with a "Z" pattern for the web. A Z is ok if the loading is static such as in the case of a roof. The "Z" should flip over by the way midspan of a beam. The idea is that the members of the web should always be in tension, not in compression.

These beams however will also be used to support tackle to lift at boat up. So I cannot really predict the loading which is why I used the "X"s for the web.

Posted : 02/04/2010 1:30 pm
 guad
(@guad)
Honorable Member

The Makita 1650 is a 13mm 710w hammer drill with reverse. Sorry I don't remember the details but even comparing the specs of other drills the Makita is superior.

Assuming the chuck size on the Makita HP1630 is 13 mm (not clear from Makita website/literature, because chuck size of Makita drills is not stated for some reason; instead Makita calls it a "16 mm" drill, probably based on concrete capacity not chuck size), it looks like the Bosch GSB 16 RE has comparable specs:

Posted : 03/04/2010 9:29 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: