guad
(@guad)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

Makita LS1040 10" Compound Miter Saw

Is it the case that the US version
http://www.makita.com/en-us/Modules/Tools/ToolDetails.aspx?ID=376
http://www.amazon.com/Makita-LS1040-10-Inch-Compound-Miter/dp/B0000223I4

has an electric brake, but the version sold in Philippines does not? The blade takes a long time to spin down after releasing the switch.

Also, I had to read the Owner's Manual downloaded from the Makita USA website. The paper manual included with the Philippine version just has pictures, little or no text. I guess that Makita decided that the target users can't read? I wonder if this picture-style manual is specific to Philippines only or Asia in general.

This saw is definitely not soft start.

Posted : 15/02/2010 12:05 pm
(@beebeenator)
Noble Member

Re: Compound Miter Saw

it should have an electric brake. well i am assuming because its pretty standard these days for miter saws.

My dewalt miter has a buggy electric brake (daming saw dust kasi)

But if yours is new it should. Try calling mayon construction to verify

Posted : 15/02/2010 2:18 pm
timber715
(@timber715)

Makita LS1040 10" Compound Miter Saw

Is it the case that the US version
http://www.makita.com/en-us/Modules/Tools/ToolDetails.aspx?ID=376
http://www.amazon.com/Makita-LS1040-10-Inch-Compound-Miter/dp/B0000223I4

has an electric brake, but the version sold in Philippines does not? The blade takes a long time to spin down after releasing the switch.

Also, I had to read the Owner's Manual downloaded from the Makita USA website. The paper manual included with the Philippine version just has pictures, little or no text. I guess that Makita decided that the target users can't read? I wonder if this picture-style manual is specific to Philippines only or Asia in general.

This saw is definitely not soft start.

I have that model in use, it does have a brake but when it gets so dusty the brake is erratic. definitely not soft start, imho it doesn't need to be since you want it to reach full speed sooner... user manuals are somewhat a mystery, hahaha. the best I have come across is from Leigh superjigs which are great but requires a learning curve and lots of things to read though.

click my signature and it will take you there........

Posted : 15/02/2010 4:38 pm
 guad
(@guad)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

Turns out that the electric brake is and has always been working. I thought the blade should stop spinning as instantly as say a drill or portable circular saw, but it really takes a long time, about five seconds. Without the brake, it takes even longer, about twice as long.

I was told that some people intentionally disable the brake to prolong the life of the brushes. I don't know how significant the lifetime extension is.

Posted : 28/03/2010 10:40 am
timber715
(@timber715)

Re: Makita LS1040 10" Compound Miter Saw

changed the title Guad since it is directed at the LS1040 anyway.
I will be doing plenty of repeated cuts on the CMS tomorrow and having cleaned my wb, I thought I would make some stops... I always find it difficult to clamp stops for short pieces since the right side of the cms has a lower clearance for the motor.
so with a 1/4" screw and knob and a scrap piece of plywood I made this. it can stop the piece from zero to a tad over 8".

Posted : 04/05/2010 11:53 pm
timber715
(@timber715)

hmmm, then I though, why not make room for fine adjustments...

then it can be accurate as you want it to be.

plus a benefit emerged as the screw had clearance for the dust to go to and not affect accuracy...

now if you need the cut on the other side of the fence, just flip it over.

Posted : 04/05/2010 11:58 pm
timber715
(@timber715)

then I had a stop I made way back which can handle 9" to as long as your dowel can be...
pictures na lang will explain...

Posted : 05/05/2010 12:02 am
 moji
(@moji)
Prominent Member

That is a great idea! i always had a hard time getting to do stops for the right side of the CMS. Will definitely try this out.

Posted : 05/05/2010 12:20 am
bbn
 bbn
(@bbn)
Prominent Member

I'm sure your CMS loves you for this Timber.

Posted : 05/05/2010 7:09 am
 nona
(@nona)

Are you happy with the Makita cms or would you go for a sliding cms? Am unsure if I should get the sliding or just basic miter saw. Obviously there is a big price difference. Is it worth it?
Posted via PHM Mobile

Posted : 30/04/2012 7:28 am
(@ricky)
Estimable Member

You might want to consider sir the Bosch sliding cms being sold at the other thread. I use the Bosch ordinary (non sliding) but wish I've gotten the sliding one myself.
Posted via PHM Mobile

Posted : 01/05/2012 10:20 am
timber715
(@timber715)

You might want to consider sir the Bosch sliding cms being sold at the other thread. I use the Bosch ordinary (non sliding) but wish I've gotten the sliding one myself.
Posted via PHM Mobile

Ganun ba brader? May for sale na scms dun sa kanila ah, bosch din. Sell yours then get that one, para maka-upgrade yung seller dun....
Posted via PHM Mobile

Posted : 02/05/2012 10:54 am
(@ricky)
Estimable Member

^mangkukulam lo
Posted via PHM Mobile

Posted : 02/05/2012 1:04 pm
Share: